User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

And Hawk. You havent reached rock bottom yet. That is 3 flights down, Door is marked England. And look on the brightside, you have a shiny clean truc............eh, a almost new truc..........eh.....a job.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Shippers can do the math and know what the load weighs. The problem is driver #1 shows up with a day cab Freightliner pulling a new lightweight van with super singles all the way around and driver #2 shows up with a long hood Pete and a spread axle reefer. The loads are the same but the trucks are the variable in the equation. In an ideal world you get to a shipper, they weigh you, figure how many pallets you can haul, load you and make sure you are legal before you leave. Some places have this set up most dont. Now, If Hawk had a spread axle trailer, or a slider with 50 holes in it there would have been no problem. He can only run the equipment they give him.
That Nestle plant loads 22 pallets and the weight is 46,659 pounds. That's just the way it is. They tell the carriers this in advance. The carriers know this before they send the driver over there. My load instructions, every time I head to that place, make it very clear that we must be able to scale 47,000 pounds or we need to refuse the load. For me, it's not even close to being an issue. For people with a different setup, they'll never get it legal.

Re-working the load isn't really a solution, since the pallets are jammed into the front of the trailer anyway and his weight issue was more on the rear. The bottom line is that Schneider shouldn't have booked the load. I feel bad for the driver involved here, but this one is on Schneider, not the shipper. Like you said, he can only run with the equipment that they give him. He can't, apparently, haul 47,000 pounds of water like the shipper requires.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Shippers can do the math and know what the load weighs. The problem is driver #1 shows up with a day cab Freightliner pulling a new lightweight van with super singles all the way around and driver #2 shows up with a long hood Pete and a spread axle reefer. The loads are the same but the trucks are the variable in the equation. In an ideal world you get to a shipper, they weigh you, figure how many pallets you can haul, load you and make sure you are legal before you leave. Some places have this set up most dont. Now, If Hawk had a spread axle trailer, or a slider with 50 holes in it there would have been no problem. He can only run the equipment they give him.
Thanks Jumbo, that's what i've somewhat been saying about the 5th wheel, they sent me a message over the QC asking what was the pin setting of the 5th wheel.. Which i didn't have a fifth wheel!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
And Hawk. You havent reached rock bottom yet. That is 3 flights down, Door is marked England. And look on the brightside, you have a shiny clean truc............eh, a almost new truc..........eh.....a job
I'm about to jump off of Hobo's personal club and jump onto yours... Great Stuff.. but yeah i kind of feel you on that one.. England or Carolina Cargo Ouch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
That Nestle plant loads 22 pallets and the weight is 46,659 pounds. That's just the way it is. They tell the carriers this in advance. The carriers know this before they send the driver over there. My load instructions, every time I head to that place, make it very clear that we must be able to scale 47,000 pounds or we need to refuse the load. For me, it's not even close to being an issue. For people with a different setup, they'll never get it legal.

Re-working the load isn't really a solution, since the pallets are jammed into the front of the trailer anyway and his weight issue was more on the rear. The bottom line is that Schneider shouldn't have booked the load. I feel bad for the driver involved here, but this one is on Schneider, not the shipper. Like you said, he can only run with the equipment that they give him. He can't, apparently, haul 47,000 pounds of water like the shipper requires.
According to the BOL, the weight was 47,175 and it was 27 pallets.. and i think this load was double brokered or something, because it says CH Robinson on the bills and the man handling the paper work said it was some type of transfer..

Last edited by Hawkjr; 05-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Cheap
Heavy
R
o
b
i
n
s
o
n
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
According to the BOL, the weight was 47,175 and it was 27 pallets.. and i think this load was double brokered or something, because it says CH Robinson on the bills and the man handling the paper work said it was some type of transfer..
In that case, CH Robinson was told what they needed to be able to haul and either told Schneider or neglected to do so. I know that we get a similar message whenever we pick up one of those CHR loads at a paper mill and such. (Must be able to scale 46,000#, etc.) My point was simply that the shipper has a given amount of product to ship. Some trucks can haul it and some can't, so it's not really the shipper's task to figure out. In the case of 27 pallets and 47K+, it sure sounds to me like a spread axle was in order. The load must have come just about all the way to the tailgate.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

CH Robinson is a broker, just means it was a broker load.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks Jumbo, that's what i've somewhat been saying about the 5th wheel, they sent me a message over the QC asking what was the pin setting of the 5th wheel.. Which i didn't have a fifth wheel!!

I'm about to jump off of Hobo's personal club and jump onto yours... Great Stuff.. but yeah i kind of feel you on that one.. England or Carolina Cargo Ouch!!

No problem, Hawk. Hey, all of our trucks here in Henderson have a sliding 5th so some of the fleet does and some dosnt. They must have booked the loads assuming that your truck did and you could move it.

I dont think we are going to have the same problems that you guys do. We only haul frozen/dairy and meat/produce so unless they broker loads going elsewhere for some reason then we are ok here.

I bent a rim when I first started. drove a flatbed for Swift and pulled into the Sapp Bros in Denver. Went to the gate and got real close to get my ticket and hit the concrete barrier with the trailer tandems. Did I stop and back up? HELL NO. Dropped it into 1st and put it to the floor. Dragged the barrier about 10ft and bent my rim. That was fun! I was having a bad day and was not in a good mood so did just what you did with that curb. Called the company and told them I hit a concrete block on the road that must have fallen off of someones truck. hehehehe
Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

and i can still drive circles around you.

you did take it out on your equipment. Would you have forgot to swing wide had you not been all worked up, and close to popping a blood vessel? yeah it was an accident, but it was an accident that was directly related to the condition you were in at the time.

you can poke fun at me all you want about me moving a barrier, i could really care less. I made an error in judgement, i took the directions I received from the company literally, and it cost me a ticket. So what. I'm willing to bet half the driver on this site have a ticket of some sort, and most within their first 6 mo. of driving.

if you are going to lose your cool because someone disagrees with you, even though you think you are right, and going to forget about 100% focus on driving the truck, then you need to hang it up. I wouldnt want to be driving next to you, when you leave a shipper all butt-hurt, and you fail to see that yield sign and run over me.

do you need a Coke?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
every comment been cool except for that Kev punk, i don't like him, something he did to some young black j b hunt drivers back in the day didn't like that very much
what did i do....besides not helping them blindside back, when they could have easily went down 100 yards and flipped around and sight-sided like normal truck drivers?? please clue me in.....

actually, i was driving thru Ohio this afternoon, and came up on a JB hunt driver, he was a cracka, and he obviously was running 56-58mph. and i was running at 60. i had a run on him coming down a hill, so i passed him. No big deal, right? well aparently he got all butt-hurt being passed by a Swift driver, and within a mile, he was driving 65 and just HAD to repass me. we went back and forth a couple more times passing back and forth, then he finally just kept the hammer down. Obviously i wasnt going to catch him....but i did. about 10 miles later he was pulled over by an Ohio trooper.....HAHAHAHAHAH. I got on the CB and asked him if he wanted me to pull into the next rest area to wait for him to pass me again. HAHHAHAHAHAH what a sucka
Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
what did i do....besides not helping them blindside back, when they could have easily went down 100 yards and flipped around and sight-sided like normal truck drivers?? please clue me in.....

actually, i was driving thru Ohio this afternoon, and came up on a JB hunt driver, he was a cracka, and he obviously was running 56-58mph. and i was running at 60. i had a run on him coming down a hill, so i passed him. No big deal, right? well aparently he got all butt-hurt being passed by a Swift driver, and within a mile, he was driving 65 and just HAD to repass me. we went back and forth a couple more times passing back and forth, then he finally just kept the hammer down. Obviously i wasnt going to catch him....but i did. about 10 miles later he was pulled over by an Ohio trooper.....HAHAHAHAHAH. I got on the CB and asked him if he wanted me to pull into the next rest area to wait for him to pass me again. HAHHAHAHAHAH what a sucka
You are truly on the Billy Big Rigger career track.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt