User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Since the FMCSA lifted the ban back in Feb 09, my company has been making us run in compliance with peoplenet. Its not just qualcomm, its ANY device that can be tracked that was installed by the TRUCKING company. I went from running 3500-4000 miles a week down to 2000-2700. Friday night I hit Kingman,Az at 1930 and had to shut down for my 10. What sucked is that 1. I wasn't tired and 2. I was 2 hours away from home. I have to leave tonight around 1800 so I can get to Phoenix and take a 10 so I have my full hours for tomarrow. IMO, the feds can crack down on companies all they want about drivers running legal, but until the SHIPPERS are held responsible for a truck sitting in their docks for hours on end....it won't make one damn bit of difference. Thankfully I only have a year left driving and then I'm out of the trucks for good, wife is going to school for her RN and she wants me home.:clap:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

You guys that are getting out of trucking...or have gotten out make it sound as if you've

escaped Alcatrazz itself...

Its very inspirational for me.

There is hope
Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Board Regular

My wife and I won't be far behind you other guys who are leaving this industry. We are downsizing on our house and have very few bills left. I will gladly great you all at Wal Mart before I continue in this business.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I quit driving just under 2 months ago and don't miss it one bit. I've went back to work doing construction. Even though it's a lot harder work, I'm sooooo much more happy. Plus I live on a normal schedule now, not deliver at 6am after driving 8hrs, sit at a dock for 3 hrs, drive 2hrs to the next pickup, sit another 3-4hrs getting loaded then be expected to drive another 8hrs.

Until the industry gets it into their thick skulls that drivers aren't robots and shouldn't be expected to change their sleep schedule every 15 minutes, it's going to continue to be the way it is right now. The shippers and receivers don't care - they want their product sent on their schedule. The dispatchers don't care - they're not the ones sitting in the truck all day. The DOT doesn't care - they have the rule book in front of them. The only ones that care are the ones that are getting the shaft.

I've quit driving before and this time it's so much different. Every other time, within a week or 2, I'd be on the interstate and see a truck and long to be back behind the wheel. This time, I want nothing to do with a truck. I don't even want a local driving job where I'd be driving a dump truck. I've turned down a lot of offers for driving local, but I know I'd be miserable again.

I'm probably going to go to a trade school and work on doing electrical work. But driving truck again - probably never again.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I quit driving just under 2 months ago and don't miss it one bit. I've went back to work doing construction. Even though it's a lot harder work, I'm sooooo much more happy. Plus I live on a normal schedule now, not deliver at 6am after driving 8hrs, sit at a dock for 3 hrs, drive 2hrs to the next pickup, sit another 3-4hrs getting loaded then be expected to drive another 8hrs.

Until the industry gets it into their thick skulls that drivers aren't robots and shouldn't be expected to change their sleep schedule every 15 minutes, it's going to continue to be the way it is right now. The shippers and receivers don't care - they want their product sent on their schedule. The dispatchers don't care - they're not the ones sitting in the truck all day. The DOT doesn't care - they have the rule book in front of them. The only ones that care are the ones that are getting the shaft.

I've quit driving before and this time it's so much different. Every other time, within a week or 2, I'd be on the interstate and see a truck and long to be back behind the wheel. This time, I want nothing to do with a truck. I don't even want a local driving job where I'd be driving a dump truck. I've turned down a lot of offers for driving local, but I know I'd be miserable again.

I'm probably going to go to a trade school and work on doing electrical work. But driving truck again - probably never again.
Your avatar scares me.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Senior Board Member

hahaha - thank you
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Personally...I think that there are going to be a lot of people leaving the industry. With the new and additional use of the GPS tracking to audit logbooks.....there are going to be a lot of heads busted by safety departments, and who knows....the Fed might be planning on using this as a new method of "revenue enhancement".....they will certainly be able to nail some companies that aren't really running legal.... Dispatchers will have to pull their heads out of the butts and make sure drivers run legal....or the fines on the companies will cause the ownership to redefine the "business model"....

I think its gonna be interesting......

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post

That one, 4 sentence statement, sums up the problems with the entire transportation industry in a nut shell.

:bigclap:

Good point Mal.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
Your right, this will be fun. Especially when my "PEOPLE NET" shows me in MIDDLESEX TOWNSHIP,PA and both my log and fuel receipt say CARLISLE,PA.

The Pilot, Petro, and Flying J actually sit in Middlesex Township,PA.
This is good to know, as I didn't before.