User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Was/am sitting in Laredo, TX (no, i'm not going to waste my money going into Mexico to watch the donkey show) where it is in the mid to hi 80s. I am sitting comfortable in my sleeper, vents open, and got a really strong breeze.

I thought about getting an IdleAire account. Anybod who has one, tell me what you think of it?? Is it really worth it?? I know it keeps your idle time down, which i am sure the company you drive for will like, but the cost for I.A. comes out of your pocket, and dont think the company would reimburse you for that.

I was about to go get one this morning, but then looked on their website, and it was like $2.50 per hour. I dont need the added gizmos...phone, internet, tv...etc. Just want something, seeing how spring is upon us, and soon, summer, that will keep me cool when i'm in the truck stopped. And before anybody asks....no i wont sit in a truck stop TV/movie room just to be cool. I like to keep to myself as much as i possibly can.
I find it cheaper and more comfortable to get a motel, I joined the checkinn program and can usually get a motel for around 40 bucks.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
I find it cheaper and more comfortable to get a motel, I joined the checkinn program and can usually get a motel for around 40 bucks.
I just signed up for that card. Do you think it is a good deal so far? I havent used mine yet.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Board Icon

The check inn card is a great deal.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I just signed up for that card. Do you think it is a good deal so far? I havent used mine yet.
I like it, you save an average of about 10 bucks every time and you dont have to give your credit card to the motel
Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Kevin, instead of signing up for an IdleAire account, why don't you just try it and see for yourself if it is worth it. I have never used IdleAire myself.

Last edited by Creek Jackson; 03-11-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Smited by the man :lol:
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

thought about doing that, but didnt want to shell out $2.50 an hour, specially when i dont know how long i'm going to be sitting. and i know i can always unplug it at anytime.

oh, and its KEVIN, by the way. =)
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

I use it occasionally. Sometimes its nice to sleep without the vibration of the truck when it idles. I keep a can of air freshener in my cab and if the unit stinks about a 10 second blast of that into the air vents on the unit works wonders. My company pays for it though up to 24 hours and probably longer after that if I need it. They also pay for resets in hotels. The best thing I like about it is lots of times its easier to find a parking place late at night since some idleair places hold some spots for people who actually want to use the service.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob View Post
I use it occasionally. Sometimes its nice to sleep without the vibration of the truck when it idles. I keep a can of air freshener in my cab and if the unit stinks about a 10 second blast of that into the air vents on the unit works wonders. My company pays for it though up to 24 hours and probably longer after that if I need it. They also pay for resets in hotels. The best thing I like about it is lots of times its easier to find a parking place late at night since some idleair places hold some spots for people who actually want to use the service.
i hate to sit. i've sat longer in the past 48 hours than i have in the last 2-3 months. I must have p!ssed someone off. But just today, i needed a jumpstart because my batteries went to 10.9v and the engine woudlnt crank. This is the 3rd time since i've had this truck its needed a jump. Last time, the on-road swift dude replaced 2 of the 4 batteries.

thinkin' maybe i should get an idleaire account just so i can use the outlets in that thing rather than drain my batts down. I started my truck and let it run for 5-10 minutes every hour or two. but aparently that wasnt good enough. Seeing how i want to be a 'good employee' and watch my idle time, i dont want to idle the truck when all i need is a small fan, and open the vents. (oh, i also run my laptop and my Igloo cooler. The cooler and the fan both run plugged into the cigarette lighter). I'm thinkin' i should just say 'screw the idle time', and idle the truck.

if they want my idle time to be low, they need to keep me moving. =)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i hate to sit. i've sat longer in the past 48 hours than i have in the last 2-3 months. I must have p!ssed someone off. But just today, i needed a jumpstart because my batteries went to 10.9v and the engine woudlnt crank. This is the 3rd time since i've had this truck its needed a jump. Last time, the on-road swift dude replaced 2 of the 4 batteries.

thinkin' maybe i should get an idleaire account just so i can use the outlets in that thing rather than drain my batts down. I started my truck and let it run for 5-10 minutes every hour or two. but aparently that wasnt good enough. Seeing how i want to be a 'good employee' and watch my idle time, i dont want to idle the truck when all i need is a small fan, and open the vents. (oh, i also run my laptop and my Igloo cooler. The cooler and the fan both run plugged into the cigarette lighter). I'm thinkin' i should just say 'screw the idle time', and idle the truck.

if they want my idle time to be low, they need to keep me moving. =)
or, you could try going with dry food rather than the stuff that needs to be cooled. having all that crap plugged in and sucking up the batteries is asking for trouble later on. the only two things i have plugged into the cigarette lighters is a 75w inverter i use for my cell phone and a 200w inverter that i have my laptop plugged into. in the volvos i had prior to the freighliner columbia, i could go a day and a half without having to hear the lower power alarm.

having a tv, cooler, and other power sapping things will cause trouble at some point in time. especially at those places where they don't want you idling while your trailer is being loaded or unloaded.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
or, you could try going with dry food rather than the stuff that needs to be cooled. having all that crap plugged in and sucking up the batteries is asking for trouble later on. the only two things i have plugged into the cigarette lighters is a 75w inverter i use for my cell phone and a 200w inverter that i have my laptop plugged into. in the volvos i had prior to the freighliner columbia, i could go a day and a half without having to hear the lower power alarm.

having a tv, cooler, and other power sapping things will cause trouble at some point in time. especially at those places where they don't want you idling while your trailer is being loaded or unloaded.
well you can only eat PB&J for so long. i have water, milk, and meat in my cooler. and honestly, the road pro cooler seemed to work better than the igloo one got. takes up less space too.

anyone want an igloo cooler? =)

when and if i ever buy my own truck, it will have to come with a fridge. my mentor had one in his KW T2k, think it was a 2006 or 07....but it had a fridge in it. think it came with the truck and not something he put in.