User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New driver (covenant) not getting freight - can anyone advise?

Anyone willing to give advise? We need help.

My husband was laid off back in November, he drove a boom truck for a local oil company. He had his Class A / with Hazmat and Doubles for about 9 months, however he had been driving class B stuff for years (mixer trucks, etc.). After sending out about a million resumes, he was offered a job OTR with Covenant. We were so happy he found ANY job. My husband is a hard worker, he never takes off sick, he is not late for work and will always work over when needed. (Clean license, no drugs, clean health card. )
But it seem to take Covenant a long time to get him IN a truck. It was the same story everyday… come back tomorrow at 3PM. He finally got a load, and now he is stuck out in no-where-ville, waiting, with no load at all. I guess we are now thinking we made a mistake. Is there a “trick - of -the-trade” to getting dispatch to give you freight? Do you think he should hang in there with Covenant - or can anyone recommend a company that will keep him on the road most of the time- and out of the truck stop? Why would Covenant hire new drivers, if they do not have enough freight to go around?
We miss each other, ( I work full time too) and we have a little 3 year old girl, but right now we simply need income. We went thought all of our savings since November and want to cut our losses if this is not going to get any better. Thanks in advance for any insight you all can offer. Good Luck to all.

Last edited by New Drivers Wife; 02-14-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 PM

I wish someone had that "magic trick" they could sell it and be a millionaire overnight. It's unfortunate that these companies continue to put drivers in trucks when they don't have enoug freight for the current drivers. That seems to be the norm at most big companies. The equipment manager is pushing the recruiters to fill the trucks so they can have a good report to turn in to upper management. Then it falls on the load planners and driver managers/dispatchers to get them moving. Unfortunatly it's the driver left hanging without any income and the threat of a bad DAC report if they quit.

It's going to be very tough for your husband to find any OTR work because of his lack of recent experience. There are many more drivers out there right now looking for work than there are jobs so even the driver mills that two years ago would take someone who could fog a mirror are all of the sudden only looking at drivers with 2 years recent experience and an absolute spotless record.

E.W. Wylie out of Fargo, ND is going to havean opening for a 4 axle heavy haul driver in about 2 weeks but we are doing a lot of sitting right now. We do get paid by the hour aftert the first 24 but it's nothing like what we can make moving. I have only run 1660 miles in the last two weeks and been paid for 8 days of layover. I'm leaving the company on the 27th but it really has nothing to do with the miles or work. Wylie has been really good to me since I started but my old employer has made me a generous offer to come back to them. I'm sitting in Lansing, MI where I have been since Wednesday morning and there are three other heavy haulers from other companies who have been sitting here as long as I have.

Maybe there will be someone else on here who can give you some suggestions but I don't really have any. I wish you, your husband and your family the best, this is a tough time to be in the market for any job.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I actually wrote a book a couple years ago about magic, and on chapter 33 i actually talk about teaching yourself the ability to perform 'magic'. You first have to spend an hour in deep DEEP meditation, lower your heart rate to 30 beats a minute. you CAN do this. Then eat 2 bananas and a brown egg......aaah i'm just kidding, i never wrote a book. HAHAHAAHHAAH

but i do have a friend called tinkerbell. =) The best thing you can do to get a load? always be polite and professional, do not COMPLAIN, and always send in a mac 10 every hour on the hour. Like someone told me from here a while back.....the squeeky wheel gets the oil.

I found out early in my 'career', that the more you complain, the easier it will be to drop your name back to the bottom of the list. I found this out the hard way, when i only ran 83 miles one week. Since then, anytime i feel the need to 'complain', i type out what i'm wanting to say....then i edit it. and remove any sarcasm. Seems to help.

Someone in our class at the company driving school didnt make it, and ended up quitting, and getting on with CR England. where he took their 2 week road training, and then promptly waited almost 10 weeks for a truck.

Now is not the time to jump companies, or think about getting into this business, because the already saturated driver pool just cannot support more drivers.

oh, and one more thing....there was this couple in the same class too. Their plan always has been to run team. They are doing it, but i know they BOTH have a tendancy to complain. Her more so. And being a team, you would think they would get the miles over a solo driver, but they are always sending me text msgs complaining about sitting. They once sat for 4 days waiting for a load, then they did a couple local runs, no more than 100 miles, and then sat again. they get screwed out of 'home time'....which i dont get because their 'home' is in minnesota, yet they want to take their home time in Lancaster, TX.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 02-14-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, catalinaflyer, your husband is not alone. I just deadheaded one of my trucks about 600 miles to get him home for the weekend. Trucks are doing about as much sitting as running right now. We have more trucks than freight. On top of being in a seasonally slow time of year we are also in a depression. Many companies are laying off or cutting back hours. People are not buying as much so they don't need to replenish supplies. That means that there is no need to buy more products to put on the shelf. If there is no need for more products then there is less need for trucks to haul those products. Things should begin to pick up in a couple of weeks. It isn't any better with another carrier. Everyone I have spoken with is sitting more. Some owners have parked their truck altogether. The economy affects everyone regardless of what they do for a living. Tell him to hang in there for a while and things should improve somewhat. It may take a while to get back up to where we need them to be, but things will improve.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Unfortunately, catalinaflyer, your husband is not alone.
I hope that's just a Freudian Slip GMAN. My wife of 16 years would be a little p:fire:ssed off if she found out I also have a husband.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, catalinaflyer, your husband is not alone.

??? Did I miss something? Or have you not had your coffee yet this morning, GMAN. :lol:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
??? Did I miss something? Or have you not had your coffee yet this morning, GMAN. :lol:
Or has he had too much of his "Special" coffee??
Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinaflyer View Post
Or has he had too much of his "Special" coffee??
Or maybe GMAN's husband is out on the road. :rofl:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I always knew there was something different about you. If your bored call me on the 800#
Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I just deadheaded one of my trucks about 600 miles to get him home for the weekend.
Well GMAN, since I'm 900 miles from home and 850 miles from the terminal and I just gave 2 weeks notice I doubt they'll be deadheading me anywhere.

I was a little torqued yesterday though. I was empty on a Saturday morning 270 miles from my house a few weeks back and was told that I couldn't DH home because it was "too many miles" so I sat there for 4 days @ $96.00 a day. So I got paid $384.00 for sitting. Now if they had let me go home and not paid me for the miles as per comapny policy it would have cost them roughly $200 in fuel and truck expense plus I would have had my home time out of the way. Now yesterday I find out one of the other drivers in HH was deadheaded over 400 miles home on Tuesday. He can't understand why the company doesn't pay for DH miles home and thinks it's wrong but he's home. Meanwhile I haven't been home since Jan 4th.