User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkdriverlp View Post
hardly ever a shortage of freight here at cr england. people need to eat. get with a reefer company, dry box just aint happening

Neither is CR England ...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Board Regular

catalinaflyer quit another job??? good luck there driver!!!!! really, good luck!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin Tim View Post
well i got away from bein a companyhand i went and leased me a truck at Prime. best move of my life now im makin good money runnin my own business thats the american way. i get .90 cpm plus FSC and I get lots of miles cause prime has plenty of freight. Got me a brand new frieghtliner cascadia with the extended sleeper its a real pretty lookin rig. Sittin around is part of the job you just gotta take the sweet with the sour in this biz. besides coveant is letting your hubby sleep in their truck and hes burnin their diesel fuel which is dollar billz right up the stack. If covenenat aiint making money than why should your hubby covenenant is the one buying the truck and taking the business risk theres just no freight to haul it aint the companies fault. Some drivers want top dollar to play the pinball machines in the truckstop. Im stuck here for the weekend with lots of other guys at the petro but Im watchin movies and sleeping and eatin the buffett its kinda like a vacation so I don’t see why anoyone should pay me im havin a good ole time here its what you make of it.
edited, because our favorite redundant poster seems to have returned.

Last edited by mike3fan; 02-18-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There was a time that I would look at a load-board in the truck stop and see if I could find something the company would take. I haven't looked at a load board in a long time, so I don't know if there's much listed anymore, but that would be one thought I would have. With all the companies going out of business, and the companies that are down-sizing, it's obvious that freight is much slower than usual.

Right now, I would suggest that the best bet for security, and freight would be pulling reefers. No, I do not like doing that, but no matter how bad the economy gets, people have to eat. Their eating habits have changed, but even bread and water gets shipped by truck. I got empty today, a day early, and my travel agent says I'll be getting reloaded tomorrow afternoon. The most I have ever sat out here is 2 days. At home, I have spent 3 days between loads and was ready to go out sooner, but I've never spent 5 days siting unless the truck was in the shop.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Board Regular

Things are pretty bad right now with freight.You don't see a lot of truck on the road too anymore,or it seems that way.It's hard for everyone!A lot of friends of mine,that are in trucking say the same thing:SUCKS!.Hopefully things are going to pick up,since a lot of people tell me that this been the lowest they've seen.I hope they are right cause otherwise you'll people on streets.Best of luck and God bless!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasspider View Post
Did it happen to be a Monday?

I just parked for the day and went home (in Houston) and the Pilot was filled up. I've noticed over the past few months that Mondays are when it happens the most. By Wed or Thurs it seems to empty out quite a bit.

I don't recall the days he was sitting in Houston. I believe it did thin out a bit after a couple of days. Until the last few months we could usually get something out of Houston. It was also easier to plan on where to go before the economy tanked. Now there doesn't seem to be good areas.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
catalinaflyer quit another job??? good luck there driver!!!!! really, good luck!!!
Just to clear things up a little jd, I have quit 1 job in the past five years. I left Big Dog Motorcycles back in October as a mutual agreement between myself, the other driver and the management. I don't call that quiting. I quit Lonestar for many of the same reasons DevilDice left and we have discussed that one to death. I gave two weeks notice to E.W. Wylie because Big Dog made me a pretty attractive offer to come back after the current driver was injured, had back surgery and reassigned to a desk driving job. I have not quit Wylie, they brought me back to Fargo this past Wednesday, cornered me in the conference room, made some offers that I cannot discuss in public, paid for my plane ticket home (where I'm sitting right now) and told me to think about it for 10 days then let them know. I still have my company card, the keys to the truck and am still considered an employee.

So right now I have two offers on the table, one isn't as financially fat as the other but promises the "rock star" lifestyle staying in nice motels every night, eating on the company card every meal, doing a lot of manual labor and driving a little. The other one has more money in it, more driving, less manual labor and no personal expense account. Now I have to decide which route to go. When I got back to Fargo Wednesday morning and went into the office to turn in the keys and credit card they refused to take them back. They told me to go park the truck by the fence and keep the keys in my pocket.

So no I havent "quit another job" and don't need good luck. A little bad luck right now would make my life easier then I wouldn't be sitting here sleepless trying to decide what to do.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Perhaps this is a good time to toss a coin.