User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Worried about Past Drinking Charges

Yes, I want so much to go to driver school and get my CDL. The only thing is I have a DUI back in 2002, and was on probation until May 2004. Also, a year before that, I have a public intoxication w/3 prior convictions (for PI). The first three PI's were in city jail and never showed up on my state record. They are all misdemeanors and I have nothing after that. My driving record is perfect, with no tickets or accidents in over 15 years! I have now overcome my problem with alcohol and have had no charges since 2004. Do you think I have a chance of getting hired by any company that trains? Swift told me the reason I didn't get it is because it hasn't been quite 5 years (three more months) until end of probation. The recruiter told me to try back in a few more months, which I thought was good news. But I am still worried about the public intoxication charge. What do you think??? Should I give up trying or will I have a chance if I wait a few more months??? I have no felonies.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Board Icon

Don't even bother. With a record such as yours, nobody will touch you.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Don't even bother. With a record such as yours, nobody will touch you.

Why do you say that Rev??? I didn't think it was that bad.
Even if he waits it out alittle longer he may have a chance.

Right now trucking is slow so they aren't looking for a ton of drivers. But when trucking picks up and they got to fill seats i think he wouldn't have a problem getting hired.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

Right now trucking is slow so they aren't looking for a ton of drivers. But when trucking picks up and they got to fill seats i think he wouldn't have a problem getting hired.
Unfortunately, you may be right Mackman.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Rookie

Well, thanks for your input, even though I was hoping to hear some positive news! Guess I'm off to bartending school! When I see the qualifications, like at Prime, they say no alcohol convictions for five years. That's why I was a little confused. I no longer drink and it seems like after 5 years, I would have proved myself. One recruiter told me I would have no problem in a few more months. Another one had different views.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know the PI's look bad, but they still do not constitute "DWI".

I'm a woman, by the way.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy View Post
Well, thanks for your input, even though I was hoping to hear some positive news! Guess I'm off to bartending school! When I see the qualifications, like at Prime, they say no alcohol convictions for five years. That's why I was a little confused. I no longer drink and it seems like after 5 years, I would have proved myself. One recruiter told me I would have no problem in a few more months. Another one had different views.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know the PI's look bad, but they still do not constitute "DWI".

I'm a woman, by the way.
Dont give up. It will be hard since you need CDL training. IS there anyway you got the money to pay for CDL school your self. If so then you try the smaller carriers. Good luck to whatever you do.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

There is a huge glut of drivers right now who have no record who can't find jobs. When the industry picks up again (and there's no saying how long it will be), those drivers are going to likely take priority over someone who does have a record.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy View Post

I'm a woman, by the way.

I am a bit surprised that you would consider going to bartending school if you had a problem with alcohol. This industry takes alcohol related convictions very seriously. The DUI by itself could be over come with a few years since the conviction. The multiple public intoxication charges added to the DUI make it more difficult for many carriers to consider you. I would say it depends on whether those charges show up on a criminal background check. If you tell them about those previous charges they may or may not consider giving you a chance. Most carriers do criminal background checks on new drivers. If you don't tell them about it and it shows up then you will be terminated and a note will be place on your DAC that states that you falsified your application. DAC is like a credit report that tracks your work history in this business.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I am a bit surprised that you would consider going to bartending school if you had a problem with alcohol.
I was thinking the same thing.:roll:

Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Dont give up. It will be hard since you need CDL training. IS there anyway you got the money to pay for CDL school your self. If so then you try the smaller carriers. Good luck to whatever you do.
Yes, I can get a Pell Grant at San Jacinto College and go to truck driving school there. They have a pretty good program. I am trying to get re-trained for something besides minimum wage. I was a legal secretary before and those jobs have also downsized. The only way I could afford to exist on minimum wage is to work two jobs and I don't know if I can do that.

I think I may be able to drive locally here in Houston if I get a CDL. What do you think? At least that way, I could get my foot in the door and get a track record.

Right now I am only working part-time delivering pizza's and the rest of my bills are being paid out of my savings. That's why I thought about bartending school because it doesn't take very long and the money is pretty good.

The PI does show up because I got a copy of the report from Swift. The reason it got enhanced is because I had 3 other ones in city jail before that. Otherwise, it never would have shown up! My attorney said he has seen other people in Houston get tons of those and never get it enhanced

So, I have to find something I can do that will not look for (or count) these types of charges. It's pretty rough!!!!