User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysundy View Post
Yes, I want so much to go to driver school and get my CDL. The only thing is I have a DUI back in 2002, and was on probation until May 2004. Also, a year before that, I have a public intoxication w/3 prior convictions (for PI). The first three PI's were in city jail and never showed up on my state record. They are all misdemeanors and I have nothing after that. My driving record is perfect, with no tickets or accidents in over 15 years! I have now overcome my problem with alcohol and have had no charges since 2004. Do you think I have a chance of getting hired by any company that trains? Swift told me the reason I didn't get it is because it hasn't been quite 5 years (three more months) until end of probation. The recruiter told me to try back in a few more months, which I thought was good news. But I am still worried about the public intoxication charge. What do you think??? Should I give up trying or will I have a chance if I wait a few more months??? I have no felonies.
As someone who sits on the hiring committee at my company and being in the industry for many years, I can say with certainty that the odds of you being hired are slim to none. Most companies have a general rule of say, no DUI's in the past 5 years, but most expand beyond that to look at the "big picture". Normally more than 1 DUI or in a case such as yours where you only had 1 DUI, but you do have other alcohol related convictions will most certainly knock you out of consideration. Alcohol and commercial vehicles don't mix and thank God for that!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you aware that local jobs are much harder to get than otr?
Just give up now.
Ask yourself this. If you had a trucking company, would you hire yourself?:roll:
I know if someone handed me an application with atleast 3-4 different alcohol convictions on it, I would laugh, and throw it in the trash.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well, thanks for your input, even though I was hoping to hear some positive news! Guess I'm off to bartending school! When I see the qualifications, like at Prime, they say no alcohol convictions for five years. That's why I was a little confused. I no longer drink and it seems like after 5 years, I would have proved myself. One recruiter told me I would have no problem in a few more months. Another one had different views.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know the PI's look bad, but they still do not constitute "DWI".

I'm a woman, by the way.
I know you feel a P.I. doesn't constitute a D.U.I. All it really does is show a 'PATTERN'. What's with so many drinking convictions? Stressed out? If you turn to the bottle to wash away your problems then maybe trucking isn't for you.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I was thinking the same thing.:roll:
If the end result is your are going to end up with a bottle in your hand it might as well be for cost or even free right?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort View Post
If the end result is your are going to end up with a bottle in your hand it might as well be for cost or even free right?
I'll have to agree when you put everything in that light, it looks like I am not going to get a chance. People really do overcome challenges such as mine, and I think they deserve a second chance. I had a problem during that time period, but not anymore.

You certainly have a right to your opinion, as do I. I'm sure glad I don't think the way you guys do!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Companies can now pick the best of the litter when it comes to drivers. In our monthly saftey meeting this past week our corporate leaders told us they had over 300 applicants in Fort Lauderdale to fill only 15 local jobs pulling fuel. Hence it would be in our best interest to protect our CDL's at all cost as jobs are becoming far and few between and most companies will only look at those drivers with spotless records.

Good luck it can be done but you have your work cut out for you... it will come down to being in the right place at the right time.

Timberwolf
Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
People really do overcome challenges such as mine, and I think they deserve a second chance.
You're right - people do overcome those challenges. And yet many never do, even though they try.

According to Drug and Alcohol Relapse Prevention, 54% of recovering alcoholics suffer a relapse. Should carriers simply give the benefit of the doubt and put an 80,000 lb weapon into all their hands? After all, even though the odds are against you, you "deserve" a second chance.

I wonder if you think an airline pilot who was caught drinking while flying deserves a second chance too. How about an brain surgeon who was caught boozing pre-op?

Second chances are never "deserved". They are not a right. They are a privilege, and are few and far between in the cutthroat world of trucking.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
You're right - people do overcome those challenges. And yet many never do, even though they try.

According to Drug and Alcohol Relapse Prevention, 54% of recovering alcoholics suffer a relapse. Should carriers simply give the benefit of the doubt and put an 80,000 lb weapon into all their hands? After all, even though the odds are against you, you "deserve" a second chance.

I wonder if you think an airline pilot who was caught drinking while flying deserves a second chance too. How about an brain surgeon who was caught boozing pre-op?

Second chances are never "deserved". They are not a right. They are a privilege, and are few and far between in the cutthroat world of trucking.
Exactly. I applaud you for turning your life around but the truth is most people cant do it without a relapse. So if someone takes a chance on you and you relapse, causing a major accident, that company will get fried once your past is exposed.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I think everyone should get a 2nd chance i mean we are all human. The guy that train me at Venezia was a big time drug user at one time. He had really messed up teeth from smoking that stuff. But he told me he has been clean for almost 10 years. He said the best thing that happen to him was getting his CDL. Cuz to him he had something big and something to keep him off the drugs. He was a great guy and trainer.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

YouTube - Jeff Bates - One Second Chance

Take a look at the video. It is a good song by jeff bates called One Second Chance. It was on the radio a couple years ago. He sings about trying to get a truck driving job but his past drug charges are stopping him from getting hired.

Like i said i think everyone should get a second chance but only 1. Not 3 or 4. Just my 2cents.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug