User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bad luck for a newbie

I got out of driving school in august of 08 ,I heard of a sort of local job driving a chip truck.When I talked with the owner,Iasked him to put me with one of driversbut he said no need just follow us.Now I made sure I told him I was a rookie but anyway I had a co driver from the school we attended. We drove a couple days and told the owner the brakes were bad and then again when we came in at the end of the week.When we left the next week we checked the brakes they worked ok until we were loaded, well to make it short ,I started down an on ramp the brakes failed I had to turn or run into a big ditch.Well you guess the result a roll over,my question is with such a small company would this be on my DAC report . I am not sure what to include on applactions now can any one help. :tears:
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The small company probably would not put it there, however...
With a roll-over in any vehicle, the police will be there. That means a police report. Anything that can be considered a matter of public record may appear on the DAC.

Case in point... Nothing to do at all with driving, and more than 10 years old. Someone that knew about drug dealing and cultivating pot got one year of probation back in '92. Started driving in '98, and in '05, accessory was listed on the DAC.

Rolling any vehicle over will mean a police report. No idea of just how long it may take for DAC to pick it up, but it will, very likely, appear at some point in the future.

There are some companies that do not use DAC, and you might try to run across one that does not.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Board Member

You should get a copy of your DAC/USIS file then you'll know if it's there ,and if not don't mention it or working for that company.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Bassman your not from VA are you?? and if the logging/chip haulers are like anything around here most of the owners probably don't even know what a DAC is!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Board Member

It really doesn't matter if it is on a DAC report or not. Any company can potentially find out about through your MVR or when they contact your former employer to verify your employment and safety record.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Board Regular

I'm surprised nobody asked about how the accident was written up.

Were you cited for the accident? If so, what were you cited for? Were you terminated? If so, what was the cause?

There's a big difference between a non-preventable accident due to equipment failure and a preventable loss of control rollover.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Board Member

The big application killer would be not listing it at all. A dispute between preventable and non preventable is not a huge issue.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

You're probably right that its not on your DAC but find out first. Same with the MVR. There has to be something listed on there. Your chances of getting a driving job in this economy with no experience aren't very good. No experience and a rollover? Forget about driving. So...would I cover up the rollover? Well...it might mean getting fired if they find out later...but if they know about it they aint gonna hire you in the first place.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I got out of driving school in august of 08 ,I heard of a sort of local job driving a chip truck.When I talked with the owner,Iasked him to put me with one of driversbut he said no need just follow us.Now I made sure I told him I was a rookie but anyway I had a co driver from the school we attended. We drove a couple days and told the owner the brakes were bad and then again when we came in at the end of the week.When we left the next week we checked the brakes they worked ok until we were loaded, well to make it short ,I started down an on ramp the brakes failed I had to turn or run into a big ditch.Well you guess the result a roll over,my question is with such a small company would this be on my DAC report . I am not sure what to include on applactions now can any one help. :tears:
If the brakes were bad one week and then you came back to work and they were fine, does that mean someone fixed it, cause it couldn't have fixed itself? Did you ask to see if the truck's brakes were checked by a mechanic to ensure it was roadworthy before you started your workday?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Rookie

No i was not citied ,but the report was given to the owner,I have never had the chance to read it.Ialso was not fired he keeps saying he does not have another truck,waiting for an engine rebuild but it does not take that long. As far as the brakes being checked by a tech,no they weren't but we didn't have contact with him at that time of night on sunday so we didn't know,rookie mistake I know. Thanks for your advice though