LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
[/I]

A professional driver does everything possible to prevent an accident, not cause one, even if the other vehicle(s) are in the wrong.

and that should say, "a professional driver does everything REASONABLE to prevent an accident." Say you are on a curve up in the high mountains, and you come around a curve going 50, and you see a wreck already occured in the road ahead, and there is a family in a minivan in front of you. Everything POSSIBLE to avoid the accident might mean swerving right and going over the guard rail. You really going to do that? What is REASONABLE is to stand on the brakes and hope you stop in time. ;-)
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
and that should say, "a professional driver does everything REASONABLE to prevent an accident." Say you are on a curve up in the high mountains, and you come around a curve going 50, and you see a wreck already occured in the road ahead, and there is a family in a minivan in front of you. Everything POSSIBLE to avoid the accident might mean swerving right and going over the guard rail. You really going to do that? What is REASONABLE is to stand on the brakes and hope you stop in time. ;-)
So that's the same as moving over for a unattentive 4 wheeler on a empty highway just so you can say "pay attention"? You my friend reveal more and more about yourself everyday.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I still say we need to get Mythbusters or that spinoff show that likes to blow stuff up, to do a whole episode on what happens when a 4-wheeler tries to 'fight' a 18 wheeler. Show them what happens when they cut one off, with and without an accident. Show what happens when one rear-ends a big rig. Make it as gruesome as possible.

I was driving to Des Moines just this morning, 2:30am.....NOBODY on 235...i mean NOBODY when compared to other times of the day. I had this one lady in an SUV coming up an on-ramp...taking her sweet time....not stepping on it....not breaking....nothing...she was almost just pacing me. and without a head check.....no turn signal...nothing.....just starts moving over into my lane, and my fender was about even with the joint in the front and rear doors on her side. I knew i had nobody to the left of me, and i probably should have just got over, but i am just tired of babysitting 4-wheelers and getting out of THEIR way, because of their lack of driving ability.

Granted, i should have just moved over. had it been any other time of the day, i would have, but since i had time to kill, and i knew everything that was around me, i wanted to just see how she would 'blend' into traffic. Once she realized her mistake.....half way into my lane, and me changing into the fast lane already, she made a gester with her hand to signal "ooops...my bad" How many dont use their mirrors, or do a head-check. Just blindly drive their car like everybody needs to yield to them.

MB already did this one. They used an old post office semi to do the demonstration...out at the old navy yard in Oakland CA.

They have done the drafting for fuel mileage too.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky

A professional driver does everything possible to prevent an accident, not cause one, even if the other vehicle(s) are in the wrong.

Quote:
...And the family in the minivan should be killed because you couldn't or didn't want to do everything possible to avoid running into their vehicle?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I still say we need to get Mythbusters or that spinoff show that likes to blow stuff up, to do a whole episode on what happens when a 4-wheeler tries to 'fight' a 18 wheeler. Show them what happens when they cut one off, with and without an accident. Show what happens when one rear-ends a big rig. Make it as gruesome as possible.

I was driving to Des Moines just this morning, 2:30am.....NOBODY on 235...i mean NOBODY when compared to other times of the day. I had this one lady in an SUV coming up an on-ramp...taking her sweet time....not stepping on it....not breaking....nothing...she was almost just pacing me. and without a head check.....no turn signal...nothing.....just starts moving over into my lane, and my fender was about even with the joint in the front and rear doors on her side. I knew i had nobody to the left of me, and i probably should have just got over, but i am just tired of babysitting 4-wheelers and getting out of THEIR way, because of their lack of driving ability.

Granted, i should have just moved over. had it been any other time of the day, i would have, but since i had time to kill, and i knew everything that was around me, i wanted to just see how she would 'blend' into traffic. Once she realized her mistake.....half way into my lane, and me changing into the fast lane already, she made a gester with her hand to signal "ooops...my bad" How many dont use their mirrors, or do a head-check. Just blindly drive their car like everybody needs to yield to them.
:clap: you my friend is a class act lol...

Albeit if i'm in a car or a truck if a car/truck is trying to get merge over in a lane and i can safely move over in another lane i will do so in a heartbeat.. It's just assine and complete lazy not to move over in my opinion if another car/truck needs to merge over and you don't want slide over... insane.. One day my friend you will be in that car's position and dropping f-bomb's for an half a mile because that same someone did the same thing to you....

and hell you just started a thread not so long ago talking about being an professional driver.. give me a break!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Board Regular

As a PROFESSIONAL driver you should not allow yourself in any situation to cause an accident.I know its gets frustrating to be "professional"to everyone on the road ,but YOU HAVE to do it.Not only saves your day,our life or someone else's, but it's also the image of all of us,truck divers.That's all i have to say.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
...And the family in the minivan should be killed because you couldn't or didn't want to do everything possible to avoid running into their vehicle?
ok...on said curve...you find yourself with just two options left....running into the minivan...or turning to the right, busting thru the guard rail and plunging 100ft to your death. Sorry...not going for option 2. (well maybe...depends on how bad my day has been going. HAHHAHAH)

and as far as the story about the empty interstate, etc., LOOK....i saw her coming up the ramp. The lane she was in didnt 'end' or merge or was it an 'exit only' lane for the next exit. I maintained lane control, and knew what was all around me becuase i check my mirrors out of habbit most of the time I come up to an on-ramp. Was her turn signal on? no. Did i expect her to lane change in front of me? no.

man, you guys think that it was a 2 lane interstate, i could have moved over to the fast lane and allow her all the time in the world to get out of her lane that was going to merge in 500 ft. If that was the case, i would have got over without thinking "i should be an *******". I was on a 3 lane interstate (4 if you count the lane she was in on the on ramp....and that lane was not ending.)

and mike3fan, again, could care less about anybodys opinion of me.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

well if you don't care what anyone here thinks of you, why don't you care about yourself? moving over takes away that competitiveness feeling that you might have however many times a day you do it, and it's replaced with that little feeling that you did good. which would you rather have more of in your life?

not to mention better fuel mileage over the long run. :thumbsup:
Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Well officer I saw her coming down the ramp taking her own sweet time and I had time and space to move over with ease but I wanted to teach her a lesson about merging into traffic with big trucks. Thats when she merged into the side of my truck and we got into the accident. After she gets out of the hospital she will thank me for teaching her that lesson. This has got to be the dumbest things I have ever read. If somebody had seen you do this they would say, Guess what I saw this dumb Swift driver do today.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
and as far as the story about the empty interstate, etc., LOOK....i saw her coming up the ramp. The lane she was in didnt 'end' or merge or was it an 'exit only' lane for the next exit. I maintained lane control, and knew what was all around me becuase i check my mirrors out of habbit most of the time I come up to an on-ramp. Was her turn signal on? no. Did i expect her to lane change in front of me? no.

man, you guys think that it was a 2 lane interstate, i could have moved over to the fast lane and allow her all the time in the world to get out of her lane that was going to merge in 500 ft. If that was the case, i would have got over without thinking "i should be an *******". I was on a 3 lane interstate (4 if you count the lane she was in on the on ramp....and that lane was not ending.)
ok so you won't paying attention up the road regarding the signs of merging over?? if that was the case you would of seen the signs saying "so and so lane ending merge over blah blah blah"... so then you would of had to look and watch out what that four wheeler was going to do.. albeit if she was wrong or not for coming over with no signal lights it's your responsibility also to pay attention to road signs and be aware and watching out for that car... and since it was late at night and just you two on the road it should of been a easy task!!

Quote:
The lane she was in didnt 'end' or merge or was it an 'exit only' lane for the next exit.
but after i just wrote this i just figured out that.. your confused yourself... you don't know if it was an another slow poke lane, an exit or just an extended merge lane...