Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Professional Driver???? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37020-professional-driver.html)

Windwalker 02-05-2009 04:19 AM

Professional Driver????

This past monday morning...

McDonough, GA...

Saw a couple of flatbeds going North on I-75. Both, loaded with coils of steel, banded to pallets. The coils were about 4' in Dia, and about 5" high, about 4 stacked onto a pallet. Can't say a lot about the first one, but the second one had exactly one strap on each pallet, and the back one had the strap far enough back to hold the edge of the tarp down. But, it sure did nothing to hold the pallet in place. (Most likely headed for a tubing mill somewhere in McDonough) First flatbed, followed by a dryvan, then the second...

In the center lane, I'm about to start passing them, and when I get my steers even with his front trailer tandem of the second flatbed, he starts to come over into the center lane. Fortunately (and amazingly), there were no 4-wheelers alongside me, and I was able to move over and hit the brakes to avoid my front fender being modified. I dropped in behind him, and almost immediately, he begins hitting the brakes. The first flatbed takes the exit, the dryvan comes to a complete stop because from the center lane, the second flatbed has to take the exit and cuts off the dryvan. Right lane comes to a complete stop, center lane is almost at a complete stop, and I'm braced to get rear-ended by the truck coming up behind me.

The whole thing took less than 30 seconds, but if this is an example of a professional driver... I NEED to get OUT of this business...

Know what exit you have to take. Know how soon that exit is coming up. Be in (and stay in) the proper lane to take that exit. Use the "DECEL LANE" to your advantage and do as little to disrupt other traffic as possible. And, BE ALERT TO THE OTHER TRAFFIC AROUND YOU.

Even a majority of 4-wheelers would hesitate to try this maneuver in front of a truck. I could not believe I was seeing an 18-wheeler doing it. All we'd have needed was a 4-wheeler behind us, talking on the cell phone, to have had a fatality. Mapping software, these days, are great. I won't say they are 100% accurate, but for the most part, they let you know what exit you need, if you will be going around a "pitcher-handle" or straight ramp. Even without GPS, you can still be prepared for an area that you have never been in before. Actions like this is not the way to insure the longevity of your career.

Mr. Ford95 02-05-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 437312)
Even a majority of 4-wheelers would hesitate to try this maneuver in front of a truck.

You wanna bet Wind? Around here they don't hesitate at all, they do it anyways. I had 1 yesterday morning pull right over in front of me while I was doing 60 and they might have been doing 15. I don't know how I got slowed up in time, luck I guess. They do the very maneuver you saw every day on I-95 at the 130 in VA. It's a wonder more wrecks don't happen because of it, the trucks usually hang it out into the far left lane illegally to avoid having to deal with those fools in cars pulling that stunt.

Windwalker 02-05-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 437320)
You wanna bet Wind? Around here they don't hesitate at all, they do it anyways. I had 1 yesterday morning pull right over in front of me while I was doing 60 and they might have been doing 15. I don't know how I got slowed up in time, luck I guess. They do the very maneuver you saw every day on I-95 at the 130 in VA. It's a wonder more wrecks don't happen because of it, the trucks usually hang it out into the far left lane illegally to avoid having to deal with those fools in cars pulling that stunt.

I've been up and down that road quite a number of times. Yes, they can be fools there too, but they usually do not try to grab a ramp and go down two abreast with a truck like this guy did. The dryvan did not get off the ramp, but made him come to a complete stop and nearly forced him into the bridge railing. Of all the drivers that get a UA, I really believe this guy needed one. I stand by my statement, that a majority of 4-wheelers hesitate to do this one. There are some that will do anything, but most will not go this far.

Jackrabbit379 02-06-2009 07:18 PM

I've seen idiots (4wheelers) cross all 3 lanes of traffic to barely make the exit down there in Dallas.

EvenJoe 02-06-2009 08:01 PM

If you have missed your exit YOU HAVE MISSED IT! There will be another.

I saw a 4 wheeler try this maneuver at 3AM in icy Chicago. He got sideways, slid into the divider, flipped over on his roof, and the last time I saw him he was sliding up the off ramp upsidedown. Snow plow right behind him,so help was on the way. I didn't stop.

repete 02-07-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvenJoe (Post 437499)
If you have missed your exit YOU HAVE MISSED IT! There will be another.

I saw a 4 wheeler try this maneuver at 3AM in icy Chicago. He got sideways, slid into the divider, flipped over on his roof, and the last time I saw him he was sliding up the off ramp upsidedown. Snow plow right behind him,so help was on the way. I didn't stop.

You miss it no biggie hit the next exit. I saw a car hauler headed east on I90 in NY , he was BACKING UP cuz he missed the 41 exit for the Petro! What a dumb azz! He almost got plowed by another truck that was exiting.

Kevin0915 02-07-2009 07:46 PM

I still say we need to get Mythbusters or that spinoff show that likes to blow stuff up, to do a whole episode on what happens when a 4-wheeler tries to 'fight' a 18 wheeler. Show them what happens when they cut one off, with and without an accident. Show what happens when one rear-ends a big rig. Make it as gruesome as possible.

I was driving to Des Moines just this morning, 2:30am.....NOBODY on 235...i mean NOBODY when compared to other times of the day. I had this one lady in an SUV coming up an on-ramp...taking her sweet time....not stepping on it....not breaking....nothing...she was almost just pacing me. and without a head check.....no turn signal...nothing.....just starts moving over into my lane, and my fender was about even with the joint in the front and rear doors on her side. I knew i had nobody to the left of me, and i probably should have just got over, but i am just tired of babysitting 4-wheelers and getting out of THEIR way, because of their lack of driving ability.

Granted, i should have just moved over. had it been any other time of the day, i would have, but since i had time to kill, and i knew everything that was around me, i wanted to just see how she would 'blend' into traffic. Once she realized her mistake.....half way into my lane, and me changing into the fast lane already, she made a gester with her hand to signal "ooops...my bad" How many dont use their mirrors, or do a head-check. Just blindly drive their car like everybody needs to yield to them.

Jay B 02-07-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 (Post 437605)
I knew i had nobody to the left of me, and i probably should have just got over, but i am just tired of babysitting 4-wheelers and getting out of THEIR way, because of their lack of driving ability.

You are a turd. I hope someone does the same thing to your mother. D***che B*g

Kranky 02-07-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin0915 http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/i...s/viewpost.gif
I knew i had nobody to the left of me, and i probably should have just got over, but i am just tired of babysitting 4-wheelers and getting out of THEIR way, because of their lack of driving ability.

A professional driver does everything possible to prevent an accident, not cause one, even if the other vehicle(s) are in the wrong.

Kevin0915 02-07-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B (Post 437615)
You are a turd. I hope someone does the same thing to your mother. D***che B*g

my father was a truck driver...so my mom knows not to mess with trucks. besides, she knows how to drive, and doesnt expect everyone to get out of her way when she sits behind the wheel.