User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn View Post
Glad to see you got the new truck. Hope you like it.

Lets get back to the miles. 1100-1400 miles per week? Did I read right?

I know you just got a 1100 mile run....that a good run, but still. An average of 1400 miles per week is never acceptable, even for new guys.

I can understand 1500-2000, being new and all. I didn't like it when I got those miles from JB, but damm...

To me, being away from my home deserves at least 2500 miles per week, and that's without kissing ass to get it. For 3300 miles, I'll consider kissing a little tail....but 1400 miles?

That was my first surprise. The fact that so many drivers are telling you to stick it out is the second one.

Are you jokers kidding me? Have you notice the amount of average miles per week keep going down? Would you like to know why?

Because when a driver gets crap like this for miles, they are given the WRONG ADVISE. No way in hell should he be putting up with that crap. It's f**king insulting for all of us that dispatchers think that drivers would just take that kind of ***** for miles. And you know they wouldn't try that crap with you, or would they? And what would you do about it? Would you tell yourself to put up with it?

To the original poster. Never settle for crap miles like that. When you do, dispatchers not only will continue to give you 1400 mile weeks, but will also continue to give them to others like yourself.

1100-1400 mile in a week average. Damn insulting, if you ask me. I would leave their truck in the bottom of a lake. But that's just me.

You do what you want....but please at least jump their asses until they give you more miles.

Good luck.
woah boy, WOAAAAH..... lol..... 1100 was just one load, yeah, but i would say on average my miles are reaching 2k now. 1800 to 2000/wk. I sat for the longest time before getting a load yesterday...i sat most of the day. My DM told me to only accept loads that headed me east.

here is my thought on THAT....my job is to run freight. My paycheck depends on rolling the freight. the DMs job is to FIND me said freight that gets me east, by talking with planners, etc. I sat for most of the day tuesday, and then i get a preplan that has me head to the Houston terminal to get my TRL inspected, then head to Lake Jackson to pick up a load of something that would probably kill me if the trailer caught fire. (it isnt HAZMAT till combined with fire, that is okay right? lol) then off to Laredo. I know getting out of Laredo is like getting those pandas to f--k. but if my DM wants me in Greer by weeks end, he had better just deadhead me there, or find me some freight......yeah?

as far as the miles...it seems like i get a good couple weeks getting 1800-2000 miles+, then get 1100-1300. I've learned to not complain so much over the QC....but a couple that went to school with me, running team.....they sat at the Lancaster terminal for 3-4 days straight before getting a few local runs. i guarentee they arent getting but 1000 miles on the truck total........and i KNOW they like to b!tch
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We all need to run as many miles as possible to have a decent paycheck. The problem we have is that there isn't that much freight being shipped for the number of available trucks. It is easy to jump on the dispatcher but he may be doing the best he can. Some of these dispatchers have 40-50 trucks to keep busy. With the downturn in freight he needs to spread the loads and miles around to try and be fair with everyone.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
We all need to run as many miles as possible to have a decent paycheck. The problem we have is that there isn't that much freight being shipped for the number of available trucks. It is easy to jump on the dispatcher but he may be doing the best he can. Some of these dispatchers have 40-50 trucks to keep busy. With the downturn in freight he needs to spread the loads and miles around to try and be fair with everyone.
then it is time for some companies to offer early retirement or something. or start getting rid of drivers who cost the company money....i.e. high idle, out of route miles, etc. .... oh wait....THATS ME !!!!!! =)
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
then it is time for some companies to offer early retirement or something.
I don't know of any company (outside of a union shop) that offers any sort of retirement package at all.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM

It isn't your driver manager's/fleet manager's/dispatcher's job to find you freight and keep you rolling. It is their job to dispatch what freight the company has and to minimize deadhead miles (miles the company isn't paid for). You fit into the company's plan. It's not the other way around; privates and corporals don't tell lieutenants and captains what to do. Your dm/dm/d can only dispatch loads IF (big IF these days--the economy's in the tank. A lot of people aren't working) customers have loads for your carrier to haul, either by contract or through the spot market.

If the phone doesn't ring there will be no freight. If there is no freight there will be no miles. We all know what no miles means. It doesn't matter where you are or where you want/need to go. Your wants and needs are secondary. You follow the freight (if there is any). The freight doesn't follow you.

In other words, the hair at the tip of the tail doesn't wag the dog.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Boy wonder, i know freight doesn't follow me. If it did, i wouldn't be stuck in a company truck.

But if the company 'wants' me in a certian place, and my DM 'wants' me there too....it IS their job to forward me freight that gets me there. It IS their job to deadhead me there if thats what the boss orders.
Their job is to get me that water bottle when i come off the field....to hand me a towel to wipe my head.

My job is to pull freight. I'm not going to decline a load, just because it dont head east. which is what my DM told me to do. ill say it again.....i'm not going to sit somewhere for 3-4 days, only to accept one load that gets me due east, and only runs me 300 miles. I'm not going to sacrafice an already poor paycheck, just to sit and wait for loads only to run a certian direction.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Boy wonder, i know freight doesn't follow me. If it did, i wouldn't be stuck in a company truck.

But if the company 'wants' me in a certian place, and my DM 'wants' me there too....it IS their job to forward me freight that gets me there. It IS their job to deadhead me there if thats what the boss orders.
Their job is to get me that water bottle when i come off the field....to hand me a towel to wipe my head.

My job is to pull freight. I'm not going to decline a load, just because it dont head east. which is what my DM told me to do. ill say it again.....i'm not going to sit somewhere for 3-4 days, only to accept one load that gets me due east, and only runs me 300 miles. I'm not going to sacrafice an already poor paycheck, just to sit and wait for loads only to run a certian direction.
I'm going to take a wild azz guess, that you will prolly not be a driver for your company for very much longer. If you were take that chip off your shoulder you just might get more miles and money.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
then it is time for some companies to offer early retirement or something. or start getting rid of drivers who cost the company money....i.e. high idle, out of route miles, etc. .... oh wait....THATS ME !!!!!! =)
They have no reason to get rid of drivers. Unfortunately they already own the truck and the costs that go with it. Being that a driver is only paid when the truck makes money, it serves them better to have a driver sit in the truck for free waiting for work, then to have the truck sit empty in the yard never getting work. It's a beautiful system, for the company that is. Now my company does layoffs and they go by seniority. So instead of having a bunch of drivers starve the senior drivers still work the same and the junior drivers starve. Which way is better? Personal preference I guess. If I had 15 years in I would expect to get work before a new hire. I guess what I'm saying is if they did get rid of drivers you would probably be one of them and then you wouldnt be working at all.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
i know freight doesn't follow me.
You do get it. Now you just have to remember the puppies.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Kevin0915.

After consideration of what I posted, I realize that it does no good.

One word of advise. You and your family don't eat when you decide to be fair for other drivers.

You better believe that they are out for themselves. They got their own bills to pay.

Good luck.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Last edited by Cluggy619; 02-13-2009 at 02:45 AM.