User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
. . Being as big as they are, they even have problems trying to keep things straight. Wait till you get sent after a "PHANTOM LOAD" . .
I had one just the other day . . an 80 mile DH to shipper only to be told the load was cancelled because the product was "on hold" and that the CSR had been notified the night before. I sent pretty much those exact words to my DM and within 15 minutes I got an xpay macro for $39. Fifteen minutes after that, I had a new preplan with similar miles and a much better schedule.

As for detention, I sometimes get more than I was expecting, I sometimes don't get it at all (C H R* comes to mind . . ) and there have been a few times I didn't dot all the T's or cross all the I's. The instructions are usually in the LOAD and they're pretty much always the same.

I picked up a load in Laredo going to Olive Branch, MS. When it came across the border, it was inspected by BP or ICE or some such agency and the seal was changed. I got it to final and they refused it. Our stuff was in order, they messed it up internally. The receiver asked for my phone # and said she would call when it was straightened out. I passed the info along and included that I would likely run out of hours before they called back. It turned out to be 20+ hours later and I was paid for 9. They didn't want to pay for sleeper berth and, considering I had dined out and retreated to a hotel room, I didn't complain.

*I did a paper load for them, from the deep south to upstate NY; both the arrived and loaded macros didn't go through. There were quite a few trucks there, several carriers in addition to several Swift, and I figured it was going to be awhile so I called the times in to make sure they were noted correctly. The load wasn't so bad, maybe 4 hours. The delivery was an appointment on a Monday holiday morning. I got there, the arrived at macro didn't go through and the customer was closed. By now I was becoming suspicious. When they did open Tuesday AM, it was a FIFO cattle call with 5 or 6 trucks waiting on 1 door and more arriving as it went on. I got unloaded, the MT call didn't go through and I called that in. It turns out that "someone" on the inside had booked the loads, realized how terrible the mistake was, then rigged the system to appear as though they made money. I stuck to my guns and was paid 20 hours detention. No, I did not sit around waiting in a parking lot (see story above).
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 PM

I can garuntee if you were getting paid hourly ur ass wouldnt of been waiting 19 hours lol. If we have to wait more then a hour the boss calls the customer and 5 minutes later a forklift is driving over.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Board Regular

what happened to "we are all professionals"???? you get your panties ina bunch over trailers not being straight and alligned, but when you..uhm,uhm, a proffessional cannot figure his hours it is someone elses fault. part of being professional is knowing what you can and cannot do legally. did they mess up? yeah. and you are quick to point that out. but what about your mistake, you take no responsibility for that. that is right. the new guy knows everything and can make the industy all better and get drivers to be more professional and take more pride in their work. but the first time things do not go his way, he is blaming everyone but himself and is saying that he is going to not make it one full year. way to go there big time truck driver, way to take pride in your work, way to acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them to move on to a bright future, way to be a professional. we are so proud of you for wanting to give up in such a short time, thanks for trying to clean up this dismal industry...i think by you leaving it will be a much brighter future for everyone else.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

ok....i MIGHT make it a year.

Just got word today (about 30 min ago) that my DM wants me in Greer, SC to trade in my 2005 POS Volvo. Company wants me there in 2 weeks, but my DM wants me there by friday (today is monday). I just hope i dont get another Volvo. =) i'm hopin for a KW T2k.....i think i would NUT right there. HAHAHAHAH
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
ok....i MIGHT make it a year.

Just got word today (about 30 min ago) that my DM wants me in Greer, SC to trade in my 2005 POS Volvo. Company wants me there in 2 weeks, but my DM wants me there by friday (today is monday). I just hope i dont get another Volvo. =) i'm hopin for a KW T2k.....i think i would NUT right there. HAHAHAHAH

How does Swift spec their T-2000 ...Does swift get them with power windows and aluminum wheels ? I know I've seen some Swift company drivers parked here at the Coors brewery in Golden ,CO with new KW T660 ,and they looked nice ...Just hope you trade up ,and not down ...Columbia...lol
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
...Just hope you trade up ,and not down ...Columbia...lol
Not to hijack this thread but what is your beef with the Columbia?? I have a 2008 and moved into it from a 2008 389 Exhd Pete and this Columbia is what the Pete wants to be. Even though I have a 22k steer axle (read - stiff) with super-singles on it this truck rides 100% better than the Pete, it has a lot more room inside, has better thought out and designed storage and driver ammenties, the dash is user more friendly, the storage under the bunk is more useable, the truck pulls better (but I digress, that's got more to do with transmission, engine and rear gears). Granted it doesn't have the attitude and bravado of the Pete on the outside but WTF do I care, I'm not looking at the outside of the truck when running down the road other than the top of the hood which is red just the same as the Pete and out the mirrors which again is the side of a red sleeper just like the Pete had.

Just curious, you like to slam the Columbia's but I have yet to find a single thing to slam this one about except the whelbase is to friggen long and that keeps causing problems with my Canadian permits.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinaflyer View Post
Not to hijack this thread but what is your beef with the Columbia?? I have a 2008 and moved into it from a 2008 389 Exhd Pete and this Columbia is what the Pete wants to be. Even though I have a 22k steer axle (read - stiff) with super-singles on it this truck rides 100% better than the Pete, it has a lot more room inside, has better thought out and designed storage and driver ammenties, the dash is user more friendly, the storage under the bunk is more useable, the truck pulls better (but I digress, that's got more to do with transmission, engine and rear gears). Granted it doesn't have the attitude and bravado of the Pete on the outside but WTF do I care, I'm not looking at the outside of the truck when running down the road other than the top of the hood which is red just the same as the Pete and out the mirrors which again is the side of a red sleeper just like the Pete had.

Just curious, you like to slam the Columbia's but I have yet to find a single thing to slam this one about except the whelbase is to friggen long and that keeps causing problems with my Canadian permits.

I've driven a 2005/2006 century ,and they both rode terrible with tons of body roll ...Now I've driven 2- 2007 387's , 1 2007 t-600 ,and a 2008 T-2000 ...And they all rode smooth with near zero body roll ,and the 387 had more room than the Century ...The century had a good roomy cab lay out ,and with full body skirting and in Black or dark Blue looked good ,but the Columbia's body especially the grill/headlights just don't do it for me . Now I realize I drove a Century not a Columbia ,but it runs the same AirLiner suspenion set up ,So I'll assume it rides the same ,which reminds me of the Perfect Storm ...lol
Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I've driven 2 Columbia's, and a KW T2000...not to mention the Volvo i've got now. I would take ANYTHING over a volvo. My mentor's T2k was like a Cadillac. Now granted the spec truck for a co driver will be different, i am sure, but basicly the same thing minus the extra gadgets. Oh, i forgot....could be an International too. =)

From what i was TOLD....swift is getting rid of the Volvo, and going with the KW and International for their OTR trucks. I could have been misinformed, but......
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Senior Board Member

i'd take a volvo over a POS columbia any day. yeah, the columbia has more storage space. that's about all it has over volvo's trucks. columbia's jakes don't hold worth a damn, it's a cheap ass truck, the roof leaks whenever the ice melts or when it's raining, cab insulation isn't worth a damn, transmission in this truck blows goats, too much shaking and rolling movement on bumps and what not, and the suspension feels very stiff compared to that of the volvo. i can see why schneider goes with freightliner. two cheap companies who make love to another.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Nothing rides like a Volvo. They have done an excellent job of building a truck with a comfortable ride. I drove a Century for a while and didn't find some of the problems as some describe. It was a no frills truck but I found it comfortable in very cold weather. The ride was adequate but nothing like a Volvo. All in all it was a decent truck. It was a mid roof. I have a friend who bought a mid roof Century and he really likes it. So far he has gotten good service from it. I have driven it and it rides and drives well. I might buy a Freightliner if it were at a good enough price. Most of them have a fairly well laid out cabin and sleeper area. They do not spend much on frills with most of those that I have looked at. But it will get the job done and if you are buying a truck you can get as much or more than with the hoods for much less cash outlay. These trucks are designed to make money. They have the same drive trains and engines as some of the preferred brands. When I look to buy a truck I look for value, not brand. I drive them and if they drive out well and I think that it is a good buy then I may write them a check.