User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OTR VS Local

hey whats up? i just got my cdl on the 21st. im tryin to figure out whats better to do. OTR Or Local. im 23, single, broke, no kids, and live with the parents. i was thinking if i go over the road for a couple months to a year i can turn my life around. whats the pros and cons of each? what one should i try first?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franwake13 View Post
hey whats up? i just got my cdl on the 21st. im tryin to figure out whats better to do. OTR Or Local. im 23, single, broke, no kids, and live with the parents. i was thinking if i go over the road for a couple months to a year i can turn my life around. whats the pros and cons of each? what one should i try first?
Historically, you have posed one of the best questions ever asked on this board.

In fact, such a fine question, that I promise you that I will be back to steer you to the correct career choice. For now........I'll let the apologists blow off some steam while I sit at HOME, drop by the local C-store, stop by and say hello to some friends, and then return back HOME! This won't take long. Certainly not 2-3 weeks!:lol:

I'll get right back with you.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

What I'd like to know is how did you get a road test with R&L if you just got your cdl? A company that normally requires experience, in a depressed economy, with most all LTL carriers laying off in record numbers, ....I find this very curious. If in fact you do have this road test and prospective job opportunity you should jump all over it. This a very good job for any driver, let alone a brand new one.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
What I'd like to know is how did you get a road test with R&L if you just got your cdl? A company that normally requires experience, in a depressed economy, with most all LTL carriers laying off in record numbers, ....I find this very curious. If in fact you do have this road test and prospective job opportunity you should jump all over it. This a very good job for any driver, let alone a brand new one.
Ya, what he said!:thumbsup:

IF you do have the opportunity to road test and get on with R&L, TAKE IT! You are young, you could build up seniority.

IF not, then I would suggest applying at the local food service companies and places like Coke and Pepsi. Most are home daily(or out one night). Good money(most of them), good benefits, and you could have the opportunity to eventually get out of the drivers seat and drive a desk.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Board Regular

this cannot be serious. looks like a game for belpre and cfm to do some otr bashing. but lets just say that it is true. contrary to popular belief...uhm, hum...belpre's opinion. you need to do what is best for YOU. no one here can make that decision for you. there are also alot of variables, how much do local jobs in your area pay? how many hours on your local job? any overtime on your local job? you see, ****head...sorry, belpre thinks that the only way to work is local. well, where i live local don't pay **** and i actually work more and am home less(quality time) than i am now. i stay out two days a week, home every other day and all day sun and mon. otr might be right for you, it might not be also. do you want to stay out for 5 days min? will you make enough money? basically all of these questions you need to ask yourself, not us. we all got different opinions on this, some stronger than others. my advice would be give up hope on getting an answer here, look inside yourself. but i think the real thing here is a setup for belpre and his croonies to do their usual thing that they do so very well. have fun children.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM

<grabs a bowl of popcorn>

Sits back to watch the fireworks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbed View Post
<grabs a bowl of popcorn>

Sits back to watch the fireworks
Good idea. This could get intresting.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member

JD couldn't have said it any better.
It's all about what you want to do.

OTR is NOT fun.
I can not speak from personal driving experience OTR, but I went with my dad who drives LTL-OTR many times before I got my cdl, and like I said, it wasnt fun.
*It IS NOT at all like getting paid to go on vacation.
*Sleeping in a truck night after night is no way to live. But some dont mind.
*Driving in a different city every day can be very tense. Especially dealing with idiot 4 wheeler, not to mention worrying about yourself AND trying to make tight appointment times. But some dont mind.
*Living off pre-fabricated food for weeks at a time is no way to live. But some dont mind.
*Working for $0.25--$0.40some-CENTS per mile, and worrying if your dispatcher will give you miles or leave you sittin at the choke & puke or a day or 4 is no way to work. But some dont mind.
*Your main relationship being a 5 minute phone call with your dispatcher everyday is no way to live. But some dont mind.
*Your truck breaking down for 8+ hours and not getting paid a penny is no way to wory. But some dont mind.

On the other hand.
Local is no picnic either.
*Bumping 1 to 15 docks a day is no fun. But some dont mind.
Getting out of the truck/into the truck, into the trailer, out of the trailer 30+ times a DAY is no fun. But some dont mind.
*Backing into spots/docks that are nearly impossible if your trailer was a half inch longer is no fun. But some dont mind.
*Local driving tends to have ALOT of driver unload PER DAY. But some dont mind.
*Local driving is certainly not a 9-5 job. It can be a pretty long day, everyday of the week. Even up to a 16 hour day. That dont leave for much hometime either does it? But some dont mind.

So you see my point. You gotta decide for yourself whats better for you.
I'm more of the local type. I got lucky enough to get a sweet local gig. I dont have to deal with the stuff alot of local guys do, but I do have respect for the OTR driver and the job itself.
It's just not my cup of tea.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM

thanks jimb.
yea right now im broke with out a car and all, so i thought if i go over the road i could save some money and get my **** together. i might go with swift, ill know more tomarrrow, but i might be able to go with R & L, r and l start at 16.20 a hour, thats why im confused. 16.20 seems nice at age 23, but over the road i can see **** and get paid, but paid how much???
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Find yourself a Local gig, and be home every night in your own bed, pull in anywhere from $700.00 - $1100.00 a week, and still drive a tricked out Pete, like I do.

Find a Milk Tanker job, the s***** economy will never effect that !!!

Just saying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!