User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default we are PROFESSIONALS, yeah??

So why dont we take some pride in our work? One pet peve of mine is how many shippers yards i go into, and trailers are so unkempt. When dropping a trailer in a lot of MTs, is it really that hard to line up the header of the trailer with the next one? Can we take a little pride in our work, or is that too much to ask?

Also, we are better than John Q. Public when it comes to parking in a lot when snow covers the lines. You know how much room there is normally between truck and trailer, yeah? So how come when lines get covered, nobody takes the time to get their rig the standard width away? They just back it in, and whever they are, thats where they pull the brakes. I was at a truck stop last night, where we could have got in another 6-7 trucks EASY, had drivers just taken another minute, and closed the gap between trucks.

no courtsey in our profession anymore.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Why stop at sweeping out trailers? What about all the drivers who bump the tires, know one is low or flat, run it 500 miles to the next location and drop it, as was ... or dropped a trailer with "known issues".

So many responsible drivers get tired of being one of the few who take the time-loss necessary to get matters fixed, and finally get fed up taking care of matters that should have been taken care of by previous drivers, and join the rank of those who say "screw it" and join those that caused him so much grief in the past ... then we get what we have now. A situation that is difficult to correct.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Board Regular

do you really think comming here to complain is going to work?? man there ain't nothing like the new drivers who know everything think they are going to single handlied clean up the industry because they know how it should be done!!! if you want to make a difference don't come to a forum and try to get everybody going in an argument. you should have walked around the truckstop, woke up those that were sleeping and show them the proper ways to park.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
do you really think comming here to complain is going to work?? man there ain't nothing like the new drivers who know everything think they are going to single handlied clean up the industry because they know how it should be done!!! if you want to make a difference don't come to a forum and try to get everybody going in an argument. you should have walked around the truckstop, woke up those that were sleeping and show them the proper ways to park.
:thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap:
Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Uh, Kev . . there's nothing wrong with your line of thinking but you have to remember, people park on what was there when they got there, not necessarily what was there when you got there.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
Uh, Kev . . there's nothing wrong with your line of thinking but you have to remember, people park on what was there when they got there, not necessarily what was there when you got there.

that, and i don't really want to be parking extremely close to somebody while on top of the frozen stuff. if i slide, i want some room in case of it happening. that way, there's no scraping of another driver's truck, and having that driver giving me hell for bumping into his/her truck. plus, if there IS a LOT of room, i don't want to park directly next to somebody. i want to park in my own little area, in my own little world.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post

that, and i don't really want to be parking extremely close to somebody while on top of the frozen stuff. if i slide, i want some room in case of it happening. that way, there's no scraping of another driver's truck, and having that driver giving me hell for bumping into his/her truck. plus, if there IS a LOT of room, i don't want to park directly next to somebody. i want to park in my own little area, in my own little world.

Okay, i will agree on that point. But as far as 'being new' and 'thinking i know it all', come on, does it really take a hamburger flipper to realize something called self pride??

Sure, coming here to MAKE A STATEMENT wont solve anything. Kinda like voting for a new president. I am sure after Osama takes office, the country will solve all its problems by the weeks end. HA !! But if i start doing things the way they should (like i havent ever NOT done that), and someone else started doing the same thing, eventually it would rub off.

Now as far as 'taking the down time' to fix something, i can understand that. However that driver, knowingly taking a trailer with a flat, should be written up or fired. Cause that truck/trailer is not road worthy.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Okay, i will agree on that point. But as far as 'being new' and 'thinking i know it all', come on, does it really take a hamburger flipper to realize something called self pride??
Excellent observation as you mature in to the industry young man.

I always knew it was there. Drive on young'n. Persist.

That said. Just be careful about battling with these guys that see the same in you. Millions and millions of miles and dollars worth of advice that you get here for free.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

You should take the yard jockeys off to the side and tell them it would look more professional if they could keep the noses of the trailers lined up. How about guys keeping their fairings and bumper straight first and we will work on the trailers later.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Guess next time company trailers are bunched together like that, and i've got the room without having to worry about getting in someone's way, ill just take the time myself, and line them all up. just hook up to the trailer, pull it back/forward then get out and pull the 5th wheel handle, and onto the next. Landing gear shouldn't rub if it was lowered right. ;-) Maybe this way, if a fellow driver (same company or not) sees a driver taking the time to do this, the might take notice. thats all i want. eventually, say 50 years from now....it might change. =)