User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cold Weather - No Idling

Any of you guys think of different was to stay warm, without idling your trucks. ?

Based on the weather, I know you have to idle, for fuel gelling reason's, but I'm talking about the times that you can get away without idling, while it's quite coooool.

Other then the bunk warmers.... I use a "Lil Buddy" propane heater, the same one I use during deer season, in my deer blind. It can be use in a enclosed air tight enviroment, without the issue's you hear about other propane heater's.

One tank will last me 2 nights, and you can get a 4 pack for around $7.00.

The heater itself runs @ $80.00.

Just a suggestion ! So don't get to carried away with it, just trying to throw out some helpful info.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

I always really like those one piece thermals. But then again the company I was with has those wabasco cab heaters so I can't remember if I had the thermals before or after they installed those
Old 01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

For those that live, or run the northern states, a good investment would be a can of "starter fluid". If you shut your truck down, you may find that it will need a little help getting started.

I don't know if it's still the practice or not, but a few years ago, the APU's were to be installed with their own coolant system. If they were using the engine's coolant, it would void the engine warrantee. Instead, they would power an electric engine heater to keep the engine warm.

My brother (in the trucking industry for more than 30 years) has been helping other guys get their engines started. He says the starting fluid is essential, and a couple of bottles of "MELT-DOWN" also. Many of the trucks he helped to get started had solid fuel, like candle wax. And, he said that the ones that had APU's had problems if they used a block heater. The engine would fire up on started fluid, only to die about 15 seconds later. If they used the same coolant system, most started up fine. If you have any doubt, and the temps are below zero, put a stick into the tank and check the fuel condition. If in doubt, add the melt-down half an hour before starting. Another good choice is to add a red bottle of 9/1/1 before your last fueling so that it is mixed in when you shut the engine down. If using other additives, check the temp rating, and add enough to be sure you are using the right amount for the fuel you have. If you add a little extra, it shouldn't hurt anything, but if you add too little, you may not have all the protection you need.

Most bottles of additive tell you how many gallons it will treat. Use an additive that claims to have "WATER DISPERSAL" as well. I know that there are still a number of old-timers that will add unleaded gasoline to the fuel to keep it liquid, and whether that works or not, I don't know. But gasoline does nothing to keep the ice out of your filter. If it did, HEET gas line de-icer would not be such a hot selling item for cars.

I've also heard of putting up to 3 pairs of woolen socks over the filter, and a plastic bag over that to keep it dry. Don't know if that works or not, but it couldn't hurt to insulate the fuel filter against the cold.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Put some polystyrene insulation under your bunk mattress. Use a cold weather sleeping bag. Flannel, fleece or micro fleece sheets on your bunk.

In addition to the Mr Buddy Heaters you also have ones like the Coleman blackcat, sportcat and procat models. Same principle as the Mr Buddy but a bit smaller and often a bit cheaper.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Rookie

If your company dont want you to idle...tell them to spot you $50 a day for a motel. That will atleast pay for most of the room. Do what you have to do to get your truck started about an hour before you need to leave.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Rookie
Default UTurn

Good idea with the foam (insulation) , I'll be grabing some before I head out Monday morning !
Thanks !
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Seriously though. I know motels cost money. But, all things considered...isnt it worth it? No worries of being cold. No worries of being hot. No company chirping about how much you idle. No searching for a "free" shower. No getting run off somebodys lot by the local police. No worries of the guy next to you making all kinds of noise keeping you awake. No lot lizards pecking on your door. No dirty bathrooms. Plus, you got a tv to watch if you want. Oh yeah...with the room comes a free breakfast in some joints.

You can print motel coupons off of this web site. http://www.travelcoupons.com

Aside from having to part with some money...why not get a room?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Just overheard a conversation on the CB between two other company drivers parked next to each other. The one asking the question to the elder was a newbie (he said so...duh), and asked how he can hardly ever idle, and yet he's only getting mid 5s for mpg. He drives a volvo same as the other driver, and the elder driver said "with it being as cold as it is, it is almost impossible to get into the 6s". I butted in, and said, "i drive a volvo, and i idle all the time (probably more than the company would like) and i get 6.0."

My DM first told me when we met, he said, "...we dont want to you be hot or cold, so idle as you need..." Well, i dont idle as much when it is 45....i like it cool. But when it gets into the mid to low 20s, you betcha ill idle all the time. The company dont want me to idle, then my suggestion is find a hotel room for me, cause my azz isnt freezing.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Just overheard a conversation on the CB between two other company drivers parked next to each other. The one asking the question to the elder was a newbie (he said so...duh), and asked how he can hardly ever idle, and yet he's only getting mid 5s for mpg. He drives a volvo same as the other driver, and the elder driver said "with it being as cold as it is, it is almost impossible to get into the 6s". I butted in, and said, "i drive a volvo, and i idle all the time (probably more than the company would like) and i get 6.0."

My DM first told me when we met, he said, "...we dont want to you be hot or cold, so idle as you need..." Well, i dont idle as much when it is 45....i like it cool. But when it gets into the mid to low 20s, you betcha ill idle all the time. The company dont want me to idle, then my suggestion is find a hotel room for me, cause my azz isnt freezing.

:thumbsup:And there isn't one thing wrong with that attitude. If it is Sunshine and 85 degrees, idling for AC is the right thing to do as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan View Post
Seriously though. I know motels cost money. But, all things considered...isnt it worth it? No worries of being cold. No worries of being hot. No company chirping about how much you idle. No searching for a "free" shower. No getting run off somebodys lot by the local police. No worries of the guy next to you making all kinds of noise keeping you awake. No lot lizards pecking on your door. No dirty bathrooms. Plus, you got a tv to watch if you want. Oh yeah...with the room comes a free breakfast in some joints.

You can print motel coupons off of this web site. http://www.travelcoupons.com

Aside from having to part with some money...why not get a room?
Wow...I'm torn...Is this just a sensible suggestion from a veteran driver...OR is it a spam for the travelcoupons sebsite??

If I am going to be sitting for more than 36 hours, loaded or empty, I get a room. For the convienience, not to save fuel.

Not everyone can afford to "just" get a room. Company drivers shouldn't have to spend their money to be comfortable, when being forced to sit somewhere, that is days away from home.

A company driver spending money on a room, can take the tax deduction, for those whom have not done it before.