User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Wow...I'm torn...Is this just a sensible suggestion from a veteran driver...OR is it a spam for the travelcoupons sebsite??

If I am going to be sitting for more than 36 hours, loaded or empty, I get a room. For the convienience, not to save fuel.

Not everyone can afford to "just" get a room. Company drivers shouldn't have to spend their money to be comfortable, when being forced to sit somewhere, that is days away from home.

A company driver spending money on a room, can take the tax deduction, for those whom have not done it before.
Actually...im a wannabe class A driver. Going to school soon. But, I do have some experience on the road doing expedited freight with my class B in a straight truck.

I prefer to spend the money (assuming I have it) on a room for the reasons mentioned. The travel coupon thingy is something I stumbled onto recently.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan View Post
Actually...im a wannabe class A driver. Going to school soon. But, I do have some experience on the road doing expedited freight with my class B in a straight truck.

I prefer to spend the money (assuming I have it) on a room for the reasons mentioned. The travel coupon thingy is something I stumbled onto recently.

most companys will not pay for a hotel "we don't buy trucks with sleepers for nothing"

hotels that have truck parking can be hard to find at times
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Board Regular

if your in a truck 24/7 and cant afford to stay warm/cool or get a room when your going nowhere maybe that job sucks and once you got a year experience tell em they #1 and get a better job
Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud? View Post
most companys will not pay for a hotel "we don't buy trucks with sleepers for nothing"
While this has truth to it....I tend to think that those carriers would be the "bottomfeeders". If they whine about the cost of fuel versus having a safe driver who is not frozen to death or sick....they are a "bottomfeeder". Paying a workers comp death benefit and settling a wrongful death lawsuit will cost on helluva lot more than the fuel....

Quote:
hotels that have truck parking can be hard to find at times
But where there is a "will" there is a "way".....and I know of the "travel coupons" the other fellow is talking about....and they can get you a room at a drastically discounted rate, and I do believe that they will also list "truck parking" availability in many of them. I've used them, and saved money...even when traveling on my own.

One other thing that has not been mentioned.... IDLE-AIR! You can park in a truckstop with the facilities and heat your truck cab, and if you have an extension cord you can plug it into their socket and hook your engine heater (if tractor is equipped) and keep the block warm. Use of their facilities can be less than a motel room, and besides, its your health, life and job at stake.... Most people piss away money on bull****, so why not use it for your own comfort, and skip the "excuses"... or go to work for a company that actually gives a damn about their drivers?!~!?:smokin:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.