User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

uh, you must know everything there is to know about everything. How do you know this was a student driver and there was a mentor in the truck?? Now i am not defending the stupid choice to try to turn, and will agree that whoever it was either just was too dumb, or they did indeed panic.

Kinda like that wreck back in November, where someone on here must think that just because the mentor is in the sleeper....he is....uh...SLEEPING. Cant s/he be in the sleeper and not be sleeping? kinda like i am doing right now??

Or like when a criminal gets out of jail, and someone thinks "he is out walking the streets". How do you know? Maybe he is at home banging the babysitter. Or maybe he is stealing a car!? Atleast he isnt out walking the streets.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Wow...this thing is driving me nuts!!!

It does NOT MATTER WHO'S NAME IS ON THE DOOR!!!!! Anything I've seen a Swift do, I've also seen any number of drivers do, from any number of different carriers, both large and small. I've seen O/Os with thousands tied up in their business ride someone's tail like they have nothing to lose, as much as I've seen company drivers for any of the mega carriers weave in and out of traffic.

Here at CWTL, we have our fair share of lousy drivers, as much as any company does...nobody is exempt from that!
You're absolutely right. A few years ago, on I-55 in Chicago, I had a J B Hunt (day cab) pass me on the shoulder... Well, not just me, but several other trucks too. On a curve to the right, his trailer started rubbing on the guard rail, and the BOOM from his two outside trailer tandems blowing out made my ears ring. He kept on going like nothing was wrong. As he went on up ahead, you could see that both tires were flat. I mean, he could not have missed the fact that they blew out. I was about ready to call 911 and report a possible stolen J B HUNT truck. I could not believe he was a truck driver.

At the same time, just because I've never seen a Swift driver do that does not mean they don't have one that does. But I've seen things done by drivers for England, Covenant, Werner, USX, and J B HUNT. When I worked for W H Transportation in Wausau, WI, they had a guy on an oversized load that did something that goes beyond stupid. WAY BEYOND... Had the CB turned down and was listening to the stereo instead. Didn't hear the high-pole tell him the overpass was too low for him to get under it... She did wheelies to get out from in front of him when he hit it with a $7 million load. But, some companies pay enough to be able to hire drivers, rather than cowboys that don't realize the horse's tail is longer than the average electric pole.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
While I agree that no company is immune to lousy drivers, some companies have more than their fair share.
this quote sums it all up.... swift has how many drivers??? that fair share is pretty huge..but schneider isn't fair behind i will say that...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
this quote sums it all up.... swift has how many drivers??? that fair share is pretty huge..but schneider isn't fair behind i will say that...
Granted the more drivers a company has the more apt they are going to have ones that drive STOOOPID, yeah? Did we not have this argument a while back, but i was told i was wrong?? The more drivers/trucks you have, the more apt you are to have an accident? kinda proves my point. But everybody just loves to jump on the Swift-bashing bandwagon. Thats why you see more stories about them on here than anybody else, regardless how minor they might be.

Now i get irritated with anybody who drives like a fool, regardless of the name on the door. I'll complain about a dumb swift driver even though i r one. =) (a swift driver that is)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
But everybody just loves to jump on the Swift-bashing bandwagon. Thats why you see more stories about them on here than anybody else, regardless how minor they might be.
I've got lots of pictures of various drivers doing dumb things. It's not just Swift. Sure - there are those who delight in singling out Swift, and that's perfectly well within their right to do so.

Not every large company has the type of reputation that Swift does. It isn't just the amount of drivers they have that sets their track record. It has to do with the quality of some of the drivers they hire or train.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Board Icon

You know? That IS a funny picture, but it doesn't show what happened next. Based on where his wheels are, and the direction of the nose of the cab.... I think he could actually MAKE that Uturn! If not, he could have done so if he'd backed the trailer a little deeper into the woods first. I know, the tandems would be completely off the shoulder, but the drives would be (and are) on solid ground with good traction, and he should have been able to pull them out.

Not saying it was a smart move. But, IF it was his only choice, I think it could have been done.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Board Regular

Kinda like that wreck back in November, where someone on here must think that just because the mentor is in the sleeper....he is....uh...SLEEPING. Cant s/he be in the sleeper and not be sleeping? kinda like i am doing right now??
at least no one was maimed or killed in these photo's.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
But, IF it was his only choice, I think it could have been done.
How could it be his only choice? He drove in there right? Seems to me if his way is blocked, his best bet is to back out. Even if it means calling the Police to block traffic.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
You know? That IS a funny picture, but it doesn't show what happened next. Based on where his wheels are, and the direction of the nose of the cab.... I think he could actually MAKE that Uturn! If not, he could have done so if he'd backed the trailer a little deeper into the woods first. I know, the tandems would be completely off the shoulder, but the drives would be (and are) on solid ground with good traction, and he should have been able to pull them out.

Not saying it was a smart move. But, IF it was his only choice, I think it could have been done.
Ummmmm....Hobo..If you take a closer look at the photo, not only is the right side of the trailer up against the trees, but the corner of the sleeper on the driver's side(you can't see the cab-extender), is firmly against the left side of the trailer. The only way the truck continued foreward, is if the driver continued causing severe damage to the cab and it's support system..

But...that is just how I see it.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Ummmmm....Hobo..If you take a closer look at the photo, not only is the right side of the trailer up against the trees, but the corner of the sleeper on the driver's side(you can't see the cab-extender), is firmly against the left side of the trailer. The only way the truck continued foreward, is if the driver continued causing severe damage to the cab and it's support system..

But...that is just how I see it.

Hrmmm...it's the way I see it too!

But we all know Hobo will never back down, or admit when he's wrong...so why try???