LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM
BANNED
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Mike.....I hope you don't mind that I went ahead`and corrected that typo for ya! Belpre:lol:
Thanks for fixing that post, Belpre! :thumbsup:
Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Rookie

As another newbie, I'd like to know why this is such a bad starting package? I've investigated dozens of companies and, as a new student driver, the best pay that I've found offered anywhere is .34cpm from one carrier (but the miles per week are suspect), and .41 cpm from one Hazmat Tanker lines that don't have any driver positions open at the moment. A lot of companies start us newbies at .26-.28cpm, so why is his .29 offer so bad?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRydr View Post
As another newbie, I'd like to know why this is such a bad starting package? I've investigated dozens of companies and, as a new student driver, the best pay that I've found offered anywhere is .34cpm from one carrier (but the miles per week are suspect), and .41 cpm from one Hazmat Tanker lines that don't have any driver positions open at the moment. A lot of companies start us newbies at .26-.28cpm, so why is his .29 offer so bad?
Why is .29 cpm bad?

Well, look at it like this: at say 2,600 average paid miles per week (remember, you'll get ripped off about 10% or so from your hub miles), that's $754 on the gross. Now that's before taxes, FICA, social security, 401k deductions, health insurance deductions, yadda, yadda, yadda. So it's like $475.00 take home per week...and then you've got to figure road expenses. Would not be a bad wage for 40 hours per week, but in OTR trucking you'll work double that with no overtime after 8/40 hours because unlike just about every other blue collar job, trucking is exempt from the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act). On top of that, you get to sleep in a truck. So the hourly breakdown is like $9.00/hr to work round the clock, live in truckstops, not get laid, and not see home for 2 weeks.

So you say, "gotta start somewhere, right?" Fair enough. But consider this: company drivers for Kimberly Clark in 1985 were getting .25 cpm. How do I know this? Because my uncle drove for em'. And these guys were out 3 days hauling 48' trailers around. Now you guys are out for 2+ weeks dragging 53' monstrosities around bumping curbs and pissing everyone off and less hometime...for .04 more than guys 23 years ago were getting.

If you don't hit anything and keep your nose clean, you might move up to a better-paying gig. But there's not many of those jobs left, and the pickens get slimmer with each passing year as more and more good-paying outfits get undercut by fools running for eight-ball shifters and rebel flags. Besides, it's not a drivers market anymore and probably won't be for the forseable future so the competition is fierce for those remaining gravy trains.

So alot of people like you who thought .29 cpm wasn't so bad found out the hard way that .29 cpm WAS bad after all the hours they put into the job and they say "F this!" and leave the industry...at least the smart ones do...hence the astronomical turnover rates at these OTR companies. Now the companies go the government and cry bloody murder that they can't find any drivers so the government figures no Americans want these jobs, so why not let all these illegal aliens on the dole get CDL's and collect taxes and prop up the bankrupt social security system? And so .29 cpm today will be like top-rate in trucking in 10-15 years...although it may very well be .ppm = Pesos Per Mile.

So to quote the great Paul Harvey "now you know the rest of the story!". And no I'm not drinking or on pain meds...crazy perhaps....but there is a point to be made here. Actually I'm just trying to make folks think about where this industry is headed and so maybe they'll think twice and go get a real job.

Last edited by Mike Hunt; 12-28-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

When i was looking into OTR about a year ago. A food grade company was going to start me at 40cpm loaded and 38 cpm empty. I have no OTR exp.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Last edited by Mackman; 12-30-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
When i was looking into OTR about a year ago. A food grade company was going to start me at 42cpm loaded and 38 cpm empty. I have no OTR exp.
Thats because they knew you drove a Mack and they wanted to make your life BETTER.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Thats because they knew you drove a Mack and they wanted to make your life BETTER.
They had MACKS :rofl::rofl:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, Then they knew you wouldnt come because they had NICE equipment. They had to offer you something.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
Why is .29 cpm bad?

Well, look at it like this: at say 2,600 average paid miles per week (remember, you'll get ripped off about 10% or so from your hub miles), that's $754 on the gross. Now that's before taxes, FICA, social security, 401k deductions, health insurance deductions, yadda, yadda, yadda. So it's like $475.00 take home per week...and then you've got to figure road expenses. Would not be a bad wage for 40 hours per week, but in OTR trucking you'll work double that with no overtime after 8/40 hours because unlike just about every other blue collar job, trucking is exempt from the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act). On top of that, you get to sleep in a truck. So the hourly breakdown is like $9.00/hr to work round the clock, live in truckstops, not get laid, and not see home for 2 weeks.

So you say, "gotta start somewhere, right?" Fair enough. But consider this: company drivers for Kimberly Clark in 1985 were getting .25 cpm. How do I know this? Because my uncle drove for em'. And these guys were out 3 days hauling 48' trailers around. Now you guys are out for 2+ weeks dragging 53' monstrosities around bumping curbs and pissing everyone off and less hometime...for .04 more than guys 23 years ago were getting.

If you don't hit anything and keep your nose clean, you might move up to a better-paying gig. But there's not many of those jobs left, and the pickens get slimmer with each passing year as more and more good-paying outfits get undercut by fools running for eight-ball shifters and rebel flags. Besides, it's not a drivers market anymore and probably won't be for the forseable future so the competition is fierce for those remaining gravy trains.

So alot of people like you who thought .29 cpm wasn't so bad found out the hard way that .29 cpm WAS bad after all the hours they put into the job and they say "F this!" and leave the industry...at least the smart ones do...hence the astronomical turnover rates at these OTR companies. Now the companies go the government and cry bloody murder that they can't find any drivers so the government figures no Americans want these jobs, so why not let all these illegal aliens on the dole get CDL's and collect taxes and prop up the bankrupt social security system? And so .29 cpm today will be like top-rate in trucking in 10-15 years...although it may very well be .ppm = Pesos Per Mile.

So to quote the great Paul Harvey "now you know the rest of the story!". And no I'm not drinking or on pain meds...crazy perhaps....but there is a point to be made here. Actually I'm just trying to make folks think about where this industry is headed and so maybe they'll think twice and go get a real job.

No industry starts workers out at top wages, that includes trucking. When I started driving in the early 1970's most people that I knew who drover otr were paid $0.10/mile for solo and $0.14/mile for teams. Most people who came into this industry had some experience driving farm equipment or other types of trucks. We learned on the job. There was no such thing as a driving school. Somehow we managed to earn a decent living.

Regardless of what you do for a living you will have deductions for taxes, 401k, etc., if available. Trucking doesn't take any more of your income than any other profession. Your post makes it appear that you pay more for insurance, taxes, etc., than other professions. There is not a different scale for truckers. We all pay the same taxes.

You are presenting a skewed view of trucking. None of us work 24/7 while on the road. We can work long hours, but so do a lot of other industries. Most will still not bring home as much money as an otr driver. Some people like being on the open road and getting paid for it. From your posts it is obvious that you could not deal with the otr lifestyle. That doesn't mean that many others can't. There are many who enjoy this profession and the lifestyle it affords. We can be away from home for a week or two, some longer especially starting out. It works for some and not for others. There are things people dislike about every profession. Trucking isn't any different. Frankly I am surprised that you even to bother to come to this forum since you have such a disdain for the profession and those of us who choose to do this for our livelihood.

We do have a high turnover in this industry. The last figure I recall is 136% per year. Fast food restaurants have an average turnover of more than 300% according to the last figures I recall seeing. Most industries have a higher turnover than they would like. Part of the high turnover in trucking is not from people leaving the industry but moving from one company to another. It is called "churn" in the industry. A good MVR should be expected since we drive for a living. We should be able to do it more safely than the private sector.

There are things that should be addressed, but for the most part this is still a good profession for anyone who is self motivated and willing to put forth the effort. If you don't like to work then this is not a profession you are likely to enjoy.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
No industry starts workers out at top wages, that includes trucking. When I started driving in the early 1970's most people that I knew who drover otr were paid $0.10/mile for solo and $0.14/mile for teams. Most people who came into this industry had some experience driving farm equipment or other types of trucks. We learned on the job. There was no such thing as a driving school. Somehow we managed to earn a decent living.

Regardless of what you do for a living you will have deductions for taxes, 401k, etc., if available. Trucking doesn't take any more of your income than any other profession. Your post makes it appear that you pay more for insurance, taxes, etc., than other professions. There is not a different scale for truckers. We all pay the same taxes.

You are presenting a skewed view of trucking. None of us work 24/7 while on the road. We can work long hours, but so do a lot of other industries. Most will still not bring home as much money as an otr driver. Some people like being on the open road and getting paid for it. From your posts it is obvious that you could not deal with the otr lifestyle. That doesn't mean that many others can't. There are many who enjoy this profession and the lifestyle it affords. We can be away from home for a week or two, some longer especially starting out. It works for some and not for others. There are things people dislike about every profession. Trucking isn't any different. Frankly I am surprised that you even to bother to come to this forum since you have such a disdain for the profession and those of us who choose to do this for our livelihood.

We do have a high turnover in this industry. The last figure I recall is 136% per year. Fast food restaurants have an average turnover of more than 300% according to the last figures I recall seeing. Most industries have a higher turnover than they would like. Part of the high turnover in trucking is not from people leaving the industry but moving from one company to another. It is called "churn" in the industry. A good MVR should be expected since we drive for a living. We should be able to do it more safely than the private sector.

There are things that should be addressed, but for the most part this is still a good profession for anyone who is self motivated and willing to put forth the effort. If you don't like to work then this is not a profession you are likely to enjoy.

You just lectured to the Cold & Frosty Mugger there "G".
Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I didn't mean to lecture, Orangetxguy, but it does get tiresome to have some who continue to put down otr drivers when this is a forum primarily for otr drivers and those who have an interest in otr as a profession.