User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don't believe that I have ever turned down a load due to inclement weather. It the close the roads then you deal with it. If roads get too bad then you deal with it. This job involves driving in all types of weather and road conditions. It is part of the job. That doesn't mean that you will or should risk your life for a load, but most states do a pretty decent job of clearing roads when a storm hits. I have driven in several feet of snow and several inches of ice. I remember some years ago when I was in a bad snow storm. I was in Wisconsin and Minnesota. There was at least a foot of snow on the road. At the time I was pulling a car hauler. This trailer was a stinger which was only a few inches above the road. I had a long line of people following me. They thought that I was a snow plow. My trailer did a good job of clearing the road. The plows hadn't been able to clear the roads at that time. Snow doesn't create nearly as much of a problem as ice. If roads get too bad then you come off the road until the plow clear them enough to travel. There is no need to fear snow or other types of weather. You learn to use caution and common sense. Slow down to a safe speed and you can usually get your load delivered.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Amen GMAN!

Common sense is the key. I just got home from slip/sliding all night around Central Indiana with gasoline. Take your time. Slow down. Nothing like a night of ice rink driving to put all of those defensive driving skills to work.

A dispatcher has no way of knowing what types of situations that you are facing behind the wheel, thus it is your responsibility to make the correct call.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I just got home. My shift started at 3:30pm yesterday. It took me seven hours to get to Toleo from Indy. To make it even better I was pulling an empty box. The weather was horrible. I drove slow, even had a supertrucker yell at me on the radio. I probably drove past a dozen or more accidents tonight.

It's part of the job. In me and belpre's neck of the woods it's contant this time of year. Just use common sense and be safe.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you plan on getting or staying in this business you need to learn to deal with changing weather conditions. If not, you won't last very long. Not everyone can run I-10 in the winter. Besides, rates are better where the snow is falling.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If you plan on getting or staying in this business you need to learn to deal with changing weather conditions. If not, you won't last very long. Not everyone can run I-10 in the winter. Besides, rates are better where the snow is falling.
Oh, I don't know about that....:lol:

I ran into a driver the other day in Miami, who ran his own authority. He backed in next to me, and walked over and asked me to check some online load boards for him. Didn't come up with much, as the area was pretty much dead. A few minutes later, he told me that he was offered a load going to Chicago, which he promptly turned down. He refused to go north of I-40. Instead, this "driver" found a load that picked up 500 miles away in Alabama, going to Houston....

Not sure how drivers like that are making it these days...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I bet he got a really GREAT rate going to Houston. And he is likely to get about as good a rate coming out of Houston. :roll2: Those who do well during slower times are the ones who are willing to follow the freight. I don't particularly like driving in snow and ice, but if that is where the better rates are then that is where you will find me.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Kevin you have alot to learn about driving a truck. Stop acting like you know everything. You insult the intelligence of drivers who have been there done that. All you do is put your foot in your mouth when you say you dont want to go into the big city or drive in snow. In my opinion, I think you're scared. Which is only natural. We all started somewhere. FWIW I live on the shores of Lake Erie in the midwest (maybe you've heard of lake effect snow) and I never shut it down. Yesterday there was 7 accidents in a 30 mile stretch of I90 and I71. I just roll with the flow. Yeah big cities are a pain. No one likes going into a big city but every time you do it gets easier and easier. Its part of learning. Try running your truck a little more and your mouth a little less. If you have such little respect for the experienced drivers of this board then you have no reason to be here. It surely isnt so that you can enlighten us with all of your knowledge, although it seems thats what you're trying to do.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, He did offer to pull someones trailer from Central Indiana to Des Moines when he sitting in Ohio. I think his qoute was "if I don't get anything soon I just might hook that trailer and bring it home for ya"
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Axe ?...Why not suggest some Hai-Karate ,Dam get some real Cologne ...and some taste LOL
Why not just take a shower? I carry baby wipes for cleaning up after handling hoses, after climbing multiple tanks to check for clean & tight, stuff like that. But the first item on the end of day list is a shower. If I sweat a ton I even wash my hair. Amazing what a couple bottles of water and shampoo can accomplish.

Baby wipes are great for cleaning the interior of the truck too.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Well, He did offer to pull someones trailer from Central Indiana to Des Moines when he sitting in Ohio. I think his qoute was "if I don't get anything soon I just might hook that trailer and bring it home for ya"

Since I own my truck I could get away with doing something like that..but someone in a company truck??? Fired would be a mild result.