User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I thought I told you two to use the secret Swift forum . .

Freight is off but I still managed 3100 last week, all east and all along the 81, pretty much, including 1500 ino RI and 1100 out.

Don't turn down loads you can legally run. There are only 2 comfort zones: 1.) Sitting in a truck stop staring out the window, or 2.) Running and earning money.

It'll be 5 years for me in January. In 5 years I have delivered 1 load to a Chicago address. I have turned down only 1 Chicago load and that was a local run into the rail yard . . no, thank you. (Anytime you're called upon to move an intermodal in any direction, call the intermodal office in Phoenix to confirm everything is in place BEFORE you touch it.) I've been to the Boston suburbs a few times but never in it. I've never even seen a preplan into New York City. I picked up an empty in Philly, otherwise everything has been on the outskirts and I've never been near Pittsburgh. Don't fear the East Coast.

Don't drive 95 between VA and CT, EVER! Use 84 to get to Hartford and points Northeast, use 287 to get around the cross Bronx, use 81 and any number of even interstates (66, 70, 78, 80, etc) to get you as far up the coast as possible before diverting to 95. It doesn't add that many miles and I've never been called on it. On time and legal is way more important than on route.

As for routing, yes to the fuel route and Mac 23 and no to the "new and improved mac 12". I have used and strongly recommend DeLorme street Atlas USA (now 2009+) for over 4 years. It's cheap, $100, or so with the antenna and very reliable. There is a learning curve through which you'll need to pay careful attention but I just can't say enough about the full screen map detail and all the little perks that come with it.

As for Gman . . well . . he's been at this a lot longer than I have. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Freight is cheap because companies like ours are not required to pay us to be out and ready when the loads are ready. Gman thinks it's the rogue bandit on the other line with his broker saying he'll haul it for a quarter less. Gman doesn't understand that the top 20 (or so) companies like Swift represent about 90,000 power units.* It's that clout that undercuts the likes of Gman. If these companies were required to pay fair wages, including overtime, for all hours worked, rates would have to go up and that the rising tide would raise all boats, including Gman's. But he thinks it's the guy on the other line willing to haul it for a quarter less. So let him think that. I'm tired of arguing with him.

*That info is at least a couple of years old but I'm looking for it. The number (of power units) is probably higher now.

Here is the 2007 top 25 . . doesn't include power units but I think you'll get the idea . .

http://www.trafficworld.com/images/eph/23TW081808.pdf

Last edited by cdswans; 12-15-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Changed last weeks miles . . left out a 180 mile DH
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is always something new to learn. I hope that I never think that I don't have something else to learn. The mega carriers only account for I believe about 10% of the freight capacity in this country according to an article I read a while back. That leaves 90% of the freight for the smaller carriers. Most of the freight is hauled by carriers with fewer than 50 trucks. Most people think the major carriers haul most of the freight since they have such a strong presence. The cheap freight haulers come in all sizes. Some of the smaller carriers, independents and owner operators are just as guilty of hauling cheap freight as the large carriers.

I guess I must have missed something, cdswan. I didn't realize we were having a discussion much less arguing. I guess old dogs like to sleep through those type of things. If you can get rates up I am all for it. Perhaps you could organize a new union. We could elect you shop steward. Shoot, lets just elect you president of the new union. We could call it The United Over The Road Drivers Union.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
I

As for Gman . . well . . he's been at this a lot longer than I have. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Freight is cheap because companies like ours are not required to pay us to be out and ready when the loads are ready. Gman thinks it's the rogue bandit on the other line with his broker saying he'll haul it for a quarter less. Gman doesn't understand that the top 20 (or so) companies like Swift represent about 90,000 power units.* It's that clout that undercuts the likes of Gman. If these companies were required to pay fair wages, including overtime, for all hours worked, rates would have to go up and that the rising tide would raise all boats, including Gman's. But he thinks it's the guy on the other line willing to haul it for a quarter less. So let him think that. I'm tired of arguing with him.

*That info is at least a couple of years old but I'm looking for it. The number (of power units) is probably higher now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep drinking that Kool-Ade Swifty.........

There is a big, glaring and obvious difference between the coolie carriers like swift and the small fleet owners like Gman and myself....... Do you know what it is ???? Probably not, but I will clue you in....... It's called Customer Service and professionalism, a concept that is foreign to those employed by the coolie carriers......:thumbsup:
Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep drinking that Kool-Ade Swifty.........

There is a big, glaring and obvious difference between the coolie carriers like swift and the small fleet owners like Gman and myself....... Do you know what it is ???? Probably not, but I will clue you in....... It's called Customer Service and professionalism, a concept that is foreign to those employed by the coolie carriers......:thumbsup:

Well actually no that's not a difference ,because the big carriers do strive to service their customers in a professional manner just like you do ,and they have even more options to offer to meet the service needs of a customer than a 1-5 truck fleet ...As for those employed by these carriers they to strive to meet the ontime service needs of the customer as this is how the driver gets a good reputation and gets loads ...Thinking differently is foolish ,as it does not matter if you have 1 truck or 20,000 ,because in this business you're selling 1 thing...SERVICE...and if you think Swift does not understand this just b/c they have 20-30k power units then that's a missconception on your end .
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
Well actually no that's not a difference ,because the big carriers do strive to service their customers in a professional manner just like you do ,and they have even more options to offer to meet the service needs of a customer than a 1-5 truck fleet ...As for those employed by these carriers they to strive to meet the ontime service needs of the customer as this is how the driver gets a good reputation and gets loads ...Thinking differently is foolish ,as it does not matter if you have 1 truck or 20,000 ,because in this business you're selling 1 thing...SERVICE...and if you think Swift does not understand this just b/c they have 20-30k power units then that's a missconception on your end .

True that.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's View Post
We small fleet owners can react much quicker and solve any problems that may arise faster than a coolie carrier ever could.....
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
We small fleet owners can react much quicker and solve any problems that may arise faster than a coolie carrier ever could.....

Doubtfull .
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And you know this how ???:rofl:

It's like saying a couple guys with snow shovels can do a better job clearing the roads than the
DOT and their fleet of plows .
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is difficult for the big carriers to provide the same level of service as a small carrier. Part of the reason is the size of their fleet. They MUST keep thousands of trucks moving at all costs. In order to do that they will frequently go in and discount their rate to get or keep the business. A small carrier can respond quickly to rapidly changing market conditions. A large carrier cannot make swift changes due to their size. Most have layers of management or bureaucracy that they must get through in order to make a major decision. A small carrier can make a major decision in a matter of minutes, if necessary. Carriers with fewer than 50 trucks move about 90% of the freight in this country. A smaller company will nearly ALWAYS be able to do a better job of servicing customers than a large company.