User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My last mentor had a 2006 or 2007 KW T2000. He had a mini fridge in the truck, and not sure it was something he put in himself, or if it was standard equipment. Either way, he told me on the first day i was in his truck, "...this switch here, powers the fridge...it never gets turned off..." And for the 4-5 weeks i was on his truck, it never got turned off. and we never had a problem with the truck not starting.

As far as your inverter goes, one thing i remember from when i worked in a truck stop, was the shop guy there telling me that just because you had a 1000 watt inverter, dont mean you can run several items that would total 1000w. You will greatly reduce the life of your inverter, and might pose a fire risk. If you have 1000w...i'd run it up to about half capacity. You will get the most use out of it, and you wont have to worry about fire..................unless the guys who install it are complete idiots.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Rookie

I have an 5 cubic foot(IIRC) dorm sized fridge/freezer.
It runs the batteries down to the low warning level in about 8-24 hours.
Depending on how hot outside it is.

I also have a Blackrock APU, it's junk and loud as a reefer.
Get the Tri-Pack.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Many if not all of the actual 12v fridges have built in low voltage shut downs.

A few inverters have it also, but most do not, and dorm sized 110v fridges certainly don't.

IMHO, if the truck is going to be shut down more than an hour or two you should power down your inverter.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 PM

I have Coleman in my truck picked it up for 80.00 bucks at walmart. Ive already had to replace the fan which i picked up for a few dollars at radio shack.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I have Coleman in my truck picked it up for 80.00 bucks at walmart. Ive already had to replace the fan which i picked up for a few dollars at radio shack.
glad I am not the only person having this problem, I've been through 6 or 7 of them before I finally decided to take one apart to see what the problem was. once I figured out how it works, a better quality fan should make it last longer.

this is probably your best bet, when they work they work great, cools down to 35 degrees. if you plan on sleeping with the truck shut off and it gets down to 40 or below, unplug it because it will freeze whatever is inside.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 PM

I ran a fridge off a 1500 watt inverter in my 2005 Freightliner and never had a problem starting after a normal weekend (34-48 hrs) parking, but I did have to get a jump start a couple of times when I'd left the truck for a four day weekend, like Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I was upgraded to a 2008 I could still fire up even after four days downtime, so I blame the problem on the age of the batteries in my older truck.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakdancer View Post
so I blame the problem on the age of the batteries in my older truck.
Or perhaps the problem was the DRIVER who ran them down?:lol:

Every time you completely discharge a lead-acid battery, you significantly shorten it's life! If you let it happen, they'll NEVER be as good as they were before. The only way to fix this is to replace the batteries...which happened when the rest of the truck was replaced...

I strongly suggest not letting this happen to your new batteries!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Or perhaps the problem was the DRIVER who ran them down?:lol:

Every time you completely discharge a lead-acid battery, you significantly shorten it's life! If you let it happen, they'll NEVER be as good as they were before. The only way to fix this is to replace the batteries...which happened when the rest of the truck was replaced...

I strongly suggest not letting this happen to your new batteries!!!
That's entirely possible, but if so, the damage was done before I got the truck. It was issued to me used in January, 2007 and the previous driver had had an inverter installed, removing it when he left. I used a Coleman 12v cooler for the first six months or so until I got tired of throwing out food and replacing fans. That Thanksgiving was a four day weekend and was also the first time I needed a jump.

Whatever, seems to me it would be simple, cheap and better for all concerned if the company would just run a little wiring around the drop yards to run trickle chargers, but of course I'm talking about the same outfit that would rather pay a tow truck to come out to their Atlanta facility 3-5 times a week to pull tractors out of potholes than to invest in the few loads of gravel it would take to fix the problem. Our motto: Save Money At All Cost..