User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Somewhere along the line, that man's training was extremely lacking.
On that point I could agree. But you can't overlook the possibility that he either ignored the training or simply made a very costly mistake. As I and others have pointed out, the fact that it was a Swift truck or that the trainer was in or out of the seat has little bearing.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I also wonder if OSHA will get involved it this? In other industries if there is a work related death they are all over it.
A littlle morsel of info I discovered while researching the idling issue . . truck Drivers do not work under the auspices of OSHA. We answer to DOT and NHTSA.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Not really. It did have a few moments tho. I do have another idea to throw at all of you tho.

What if the company ( any company ) says that x number of days or x number of hours behind the wheel WITH THE TRAINER IN THE RIGHT SEAT is enough. ( As long as said trainer feels the trainee is doing good ). Is then going to a team status not the next logical step. The trainee on his own ( so to speak ) but with an experienced guy there just in case????

Think about it for a minute. What another poster said about the guy passing his CDL test ( mine was by the state ) makes you legal to drive from day one. You don't have to have ANY training.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Ridge

The entire purpose of "Training" was to reduce losses due to accidents, injury, and theft. It's entire purpose was to save money and mitigate lawsuits.

At some point Federal and State regulations started coming onboard with training as a requirement.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
On that point I could agree. But you can't overlook the possibility that he either ignored the training or simply made a very costly mistake. As I and others have pointed out, the fact that it was a Swift truck or that the trainer was in or out of the seat has little bearing.

Yes CD...maybe Mr. Fay did chose to ignore his training. He would not be the first...he would not be the last.

However...had the trainer been in the seat instead of the sleeper..the chances would have been 100% better that the accident...AND this entire thread... would have never happened.

At what point did Mr. Fay's trainer decide that he was capable? To me...the trainer made a mistake that turned deadly.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 PM

http://www.transportamerica.com/

Trainer is to be in the jump seat 100% of the time when that truck is moving.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
As I've said... I've had trainees WITH THEIR CDL's that could not evenfind reverse on the shifter, much less back into a dock. Do you wantthem on the hiways without any additional training?
Not only no but HELL NO!!! I think you missed my point: When is enough training enough and would not the next logical step up for the trainee to still have the trainer on the truck in a "team" operation???

Quote:
The entire purpose of "Training" was to reduce losses due to accidents,injury, and theft. It's entire purpose was to save money and mitigatelawsuits.

At some point Federal and State regulations started coming onboard with training as a requirement.
While it is in the company's best interest to have properly trained drivers I know of no state or Federal regulations that require additional training after someone gets their CDL. If there are regulations what are the requirements?

I agree 100% with you on the fact that training should be done from the right seat. I have to ask the question again: Should the company say OK training is over give him a truck or let the trainer stay on the truck as a team operation to see how the trainee does without the trainer in the right seat???
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Stan . .

I agree with your earlier post and your brother's comment about hydroplaning. Unless the newb fell asleep, it mirrors my best unfounded speculation. At the weight he was running, speed alone would be an unlikely culprit unless it was way too much speed. I'm thinking too much brake for the wet curve and/or grade, regardless of speed. 1 nanosecond of over applied brake and the trainers absence or presence becomes moot.

I know that classroom training would have included the advice that follows. Whether or not the trainer adequately reinforced it is another matter.

For the benefit of any newbs who may be trying to learn something from this thread, I would instruct as follows:

Smith System training would have had you running 15 mph under the posted speed due to:

1. Night time and reduced visibility. (Even though this area is very well lit.)

2. Rain or water on the roadway

3. Curve or grade which would cause you to lose sight of the roadway. (Curve and grade in this instance.)

At the moment you see the yellow sign and before you lose sight of the pavement, you need to slow down. It doesn't matter that you have traffic blowing by and blowing horns on both sides. Maybe they know the road and maybe not. Your goal is to maintain your lane, preserve your truck, your load and your life.

Last edited by cdswans; 11-09-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: misspelled brake
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Not only no but HELL NO!!! I think you missed my point: When is enough training enough and would not the next logical step up for the trainee to still have the trainer on the truck in a "team" operation???

While it is in the company's best interest to have properly trained drivers I know of no state or Federal regulations that require additional training after someone gets their CDL. If there are regulations what are the requirements?

I agree 100% with you on the fact that training should be done from the right seat. I have to ask the question again: Should the company say OK training is over give him a truck or let the trainer stay on the truck as a team operation to see how the trainee does without the trainer in the right seat???
:bow::bow::bow:
OK OK !! You made me do it man...You made me go and look at the CFR's!! issedoff:issedoff:issedoff:issedoff:

Here is the link to the specific training Code of Federal Regulations (380.501).

http://frwebgate4.access.gpo.gov/cgi...ction=retrieve

:hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno:
They don't specify a definative length of training! issedoff:issedoff:issedoff:issedoff:
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

That's LCV, L as in Long (double, triple, etc). There are no CMV (CDL) training requirments, currently.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Big D has retreated to his corner to lick his wounds (nuts). In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I figured I'd throw him a bone . .

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...1%7D&dist=hppr

Have fun, Big d, wherever you are . .