User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Have CDL, no School, How do I get a job?

I had been driving on a CDL permit since last November. I had been driving with my Dad in his truck. I probably have 5-7k miles in the truck. I just took my test and got my CDL license a couple of days ago. I didn't go to any formal school, but I can drive better than most of the people that come out of them. I know how to fill out my logbook, I can back into any terminal, etc..

I want to get into a truck by myself, but am having a hard time. Most places want experience that I can't verify since I was driving under a permit and not actually for a company, or want a certified school.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Try small companies.

Another possibility are companies with their own schools. They might be willing to hire you, send you through their school in exchange for a 1-2 year work commitment.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Rookie

I can understand a work commitment if they had to help me get my CDL, but I have done all of that on my own. I am ready to hit the road. All they have to do is tell me Where, When, and maybe about their particular paperwork, but as far as driving, I have that part already.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneescraper View Post
I had been driving on a CDL permit since last November. I had been driving with my Dad in his truck. I probably have 5-7k miles in the truck. I just took my test and got my CDL license a couple of days ago. I didn't go to any formal school, but I can drive better than most of the people that come out of them. I know how to fill out my logbook, I can back into any terminal, etc..

I want to get into a truck by myself, but am having a hard time. Most places want experience that I can't verify since I was driving under a permit and not actually for a company, or want a certified school.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yet another who is feeling the ramifications of trying to shortcut the system......:rolleyes:
Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Rookie

I didn't try to shortcut the system. I got my license the old fashioned way. I got it the way that many people did long before there was anything like a "Truck Driving School". I was scared away from many of the schools by listening to many of the people here saying how they rip people off and such. Learning to drive a truck and getting your license in a week hardly seems like much of a system.

I have seen many drivers that have been through school that can't drive for crap. You can hear them grinding gears from miles away, or see them spend 1/2 hour trying to get into a tight dock. I have had to get out and guide a few Swift drivers for fear of them taking the side off of my truck......

If that is "the system", then your system is broken. I look at going to one of those schools as the shortcut. Those schools don't take you up and down Mountain Passes or find the pickup location with only a bad address and a phone number. They have you back into a fake loading dock with the other students and the instructor telling you to "Take your time, you will get it." That is a lot different from backing into a tight, overcrowded dock with other trucks waiting and you can hear them over the CB bitching about how long your taking and "Who taught this clown how to drive?"

I am by no means an expert trucker, but I am a damn site better than the average fresh graduate from school with no more experience than what he got in his week, or two.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneescraper View Post
I didn't try to shortcut the system. I got my license the old fashioned way. I got it the way that many people did long before there was anything like a "Truck Driving School". I was scared away from many of the schools by listening to many of the people here saying how they rip people off and such. Learning to drive a truck and getting your license in a week hardly seems like much of a system.

I have seen many drivers that have been through school that can't drive for crap. You can hear them grinding gears from miles away, or see them spend 1/2 hour trying to get into a tight dock. I have had to get out and guide a few Swift drivers for fear of them taking the side off of my truck......

If that is "the system", then your system is broken. I look at going to one of those schools as the shortcut. Those schools don't take you up and down Mountain Passes or find the pickup location with only a bad address and a phone number. They have you back into a fake loading dock with the other students and the instructor telling you to "Take your time, you will get it." That is a lot different from backing into a tight, overcrowded dock with other trucks waiting and you can hear them over the CB bitching about how long your taking and "Who taught this clown how to drive?"

I am by no means an expert trucker, but I am a damn site better than the average fresh graduate from school with no more experience than what he got in his week, or two.
try local construction & demo companys.....(dont' call...go in person...!!!!) BOL 2 ya...

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBigRigger View Post

But those " fresh graduates " from a school are not having trouble finding a job or an insurance company to accept them either.....:rolleyes:

Just sayin..... but what do I know........
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

they hire hostlers/yard jockeys with no school or otr experience ...mostly because you hardly ever leave pirvate property and only need the cdl to go from 1 lot 2 another if leaving private property to do so...th warhouse here at miller-coors in golden,co hires guys with no school or otr ...
Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Board Regular

You can't get hired because most companies, because of insurance reasons require a certain amount of hours of classroom and road instruction which you do not have from a Acredited Truck Driving School.

Looks like you might have to spend the dough to go.

I've seen plenty of drivers experienced and newbies take the side or front end off a truck backing up.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Dont give up hope. My dad is a O/O thats how i got my cdl the same way you did. Just go to every company you know of and tell them your story. Forget the mega companys. Go to the small mom and pop outfits. Do not piss your money away on a school. All they do is get you on with 1/2 ass outfits like swift, cr england etc. There are other drivers on this forum that never went to school for a CDL. Me, Doulbe R and Jimpard. Doulbe R and Jimpard both have really good paying jobs. I am working on mine tryin to get in with a LTL outfit.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug