User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking of Driving

I am currently working in a warehouse and bored with my job and was wondering if i could afford things being out on the road. I currently dont have a CDL but want to get it but was wondering if it would be worth it. To get to the point I was just wondering what is usually the starting pay? I've visited all the trucking websites and of course they make it seem like you just make a killing driving. I've got to make atleast in the mid 30's for it to be worth my time. Because got kids, girlfriend and a dog to feed. LOL. Please just let me know what average pay i could be looking at.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I can give you the run down on what it is like going to Swift, which would be very similar to most mega carriers if you get your CDL via them.

3 to 6 weeks in their school, no pay, plus swift asks for $150 when you get there, only upfront cost, of course you ought to have atleast 6 weeks of money for your own expenses, with swift that was only food really, the motels have most of the personal amenities you need otherwise.

Assuming you can get with a mentor (driver trainer) right after graduating the school and getting your CDL (Is very possible if you are persistent), you will get paid your first paycheck within about a week of starting with the trainer. And get one every week after that. Once you go on your own, assuming you get a truck right away after finishing with a trainer, you will get a $500 cash bonus upon completion of your first solo load, and of course your weekly paycheck, which will depend heavily on the loads you get. First few months will be crappy, as they will give you crap loads to make sure you will be able to handle it, after that it gets better.

Obviously this is a run-down based on swift, but again very similar to most other mega carriers.

with swift particularly, I was grossing $500 to $1100 a week, not too bad, although I was bad about taking out the weekly loans, so I usually got take home anywhere from $200 to $800.

Not having a single bill other then my phone, I was able to be comfortable and buy all the toys I wanted while out on the road, and still be able to eat at the buffet every night for dinner, as well as the about monthly expensive trip to mexico :P.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Rookie

So you telling me your not guaranteed a job when you graduate? I thought when you went to their own trucking school then you were pretty guaranteed a job when graduate. 6 weeks without a pay check would be pretty ruff. So starting off you made between 500 and 1100 a week? What kind of runs were you doing? To where?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd....once you've completed your contracted time with swift. you'll then be tossed to the side, the bullshit stacks higher, and higher, and higher. when you're nearing the 2 year marker, more bullshit will be tossed at you.

basically, i've began to wake up that swift does not care for their experienced drivers. they want to rotate the drivers so the experienced ones are either laid off or quit, the newbies come in, and swift gets to keep the wages low. if you sign that contract with them. do the time, and get the hell outta there ASAP.

there, i've finally said just a tad bit of what's been bothering the fizzuck outta me. are the rest of you on lalaCADland satisfied?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

No you are not guaranteed employment by any of the training companies. And as far as where I went, I had been to every state with the exception of the far north west within 5 months. Mostly though up and down the east coast, usually something like PA/NY/NJ, to TN, to the Carolinas, and back up to PA/NY/NJ. That triangle would be broken up here and there going to either Texas, Florida, Kansas, Colorado, and sometimes up into the new England states. Only ever made it out west once, had to go to LA Port, got my a$$ lost too getting out of there, hehe.

But the reality of swift, where you go depends on where you live, and the terminal you belong to, and your DM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Only ever made it out west once, had to go to LA Port, got my a$$ lost too getting out of there, hehe.
long beach port? that one sucks. the port of seattle sucks even more.

as for freight, pre-plans are sent left & right whenever i was in the mid-west. the west coast, southwest, pacific northwest, and most of the east coast are too dense. i find myself sitting more often in those parts.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd....once you've completed your contracted time with swift. you'll then be tossed to the side, the bullshit stacks higher, and higher, and higher. when you're nearing the 2 year marker, more bullshit will be tossed at you.

basically, i've began to wake up that swift does not care for their experienced drivers. they want to rotate the drivers so the experienced ones are either laid off or quit, the newbies come in, and swift gets to keep the wages low. if you sign that contract with them. do the time, and get the hell outta there ASAP.

there, i've finally said just a tad bit of what's been bothering the fizzuck outta me. are the rest of you on lalaCADland satisfied?
I went from Swift to a nice cushy local job. I'm not going to pull a CFM (Cold Frosty Mug) tirade or anything..just sayin'. :lol:

I get paid by the hour regardless of what I'm doing, hardest thing I do is drag a fuel hose maybe 6 - 10 feet away from my truck, and I get nights & weekends off.

I didn't have 2 years OTR experience either.....there are good local jobs that don't require 2 (or more), you just have to look for them and grab an opening if one becomes available.

Although, if you're still wanting an OTR position and don't mind a bit of a workout, you might want to think about going skateboarding. Generally, shippers and receivers alike are happy to see a flatbed show up as opposed to the disdain a lumper feels when yet another driver shows up at his dock at the grocery warehouse.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Rookie

So just starting out what company do you suggest going with? I live in North Carolina. You think be best for me to get my CDL permit on my own and then go to a company? That pay you were talkning about, is that in the begining? Because I need to bring home atleast 700weekly.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Rookie

How long were you at swift? So how does this contract work? How many years have to drive with them? Yeah i'd love to have a local job but i figured would have to put my time on the open road before get something like that.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

currently with them and my time here is coming to an end. i can feel it. i hear the ltl thang shouting at me. january 31st, 2009 will be my 2 year anniversary.

if you go to their academy, they'll make you sign a 13 month contract with them. during that time, deductions will be made from your pay to pay off your school loan. if you leave before the loan is paid off, be prepared to get hit hard with payments with insane interest rates.

as many have and will say, get your experience with swift, cr england, central refrigerated (sister company to swift), crst (strictly team operation), prime, pride, stevens transport, schnieder (ugly orange pumpkin trucks), covenant (a "christian" company), and simply move on to better opportunities.