LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle
Things to keep in mind:

You will be GONE from HOME for 3 or more weeks at a time.
You will have to fix problems over the phone, you can't say ok i'll be home in a few minutes.
You will not have a "normal" work day.
You will not get paid if the truck does not move with freight.
You will drive in all kinds of weather and road conditions day and night.
You will be 3/4th tired 98% of the time.
You will miss important family events.

Is this worth it for you?

Has anyone explained to you what the training / hiring process is like for a truck driver?
How come none of that applied (applies) to me...Hell if my job was that bad, I'd try to talk strangers out of doing it too!

Adapt and overcome.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsparta69
Yeah i've heard different things here and there. I havent called anybody to get info just going by whats on websites and what people have to say here. I just want a change in my life and thought the money might be decent and enjoy traveling the country and getting away from home some.(Well alot ) I mean does the money get nice or does it stay below a g a week?
Taking home over a grand a week?

As a truck driver?

If you're running 3 logbooks, hauling specialized freight for $3 per mile from East coast to West coast and back twice a week.

Sure!

OK, all kidding aside...as a new driver, you won't see a paycheck with 4 digits before the decimal point.

Take Swift for example.

Average percentage of taxes and other stuff taken out of your paycheck is roughly 18%. If you want to take home exactly $1000, you'd need to gross almost $1200. At 26cpm, that means you'd have to run (and be paid for) at LEAST 4538 miles in a 70 hour period.

4538 / 70 = 64.82

So, you'd have to run 65 miles and hour EVERY hour that you're logging "On Duty Driving". Sounds easy enough, especially considering out west the speed limit is 75MPH, right?

Not so fast.

You plan to stop for fuel?
Plan to eat?
Traffic?
Getting loaded and unloaded?

See where I'm going with this?

Running legally for 26cpm will NEVER get you close to $1000 net. Some O/O's can and do clear a grand a week, but they bust their ass, don't haul cheap freight, and have usually been in business a while.

Now, for my two cents.

If you have kids that are of daycare age, STAY AWAY FROM TRUCKING!!!

When I drove for Swift, I had a 3 & 5 year old (who are now 5 & 7) and each and every night I'd call home to talk to my wife and kiddos. I'd have to hear about the problems with the house, the problems with the kids, how everyone's day went and then I'd end up walking back across the pickle park and spend the next 10 hours in a box on wheels.

I did that for all of maybe 3 or 4 months before I decided that the OTR lifestyle (because it's not JUST a job) wasn't for me. I was making less money than when I was working in a call center, I had seen my wife and kids a grand total of twice in 3 months because I was trying to keep a decent amount of money flowing, and I was really unhappy.

I, much like yourself, had the idea of "Hey, it'll be cool. I can cruise around the country, they pay me, and all I do is sit on my ass and turn a steering wheel." When reality set in, it kicked my ass to next Tuesday and then some.

If you want to travel the country, wait until you retire and buy an RV. You can see what you want, when you want, and without anyone breating down your neck (or Qualcomm as the case may be).

Generally (though there are exceptions), you'll find two camps of people here.

The OTR guys.
The local guys.

I happen to be in the Local Guys group. I drive a field service truck for a local construction company. I get paid nicely, don't really do anything but fuel front loaders, excavators, scrapers, etc. and as long as I get all the equipment fueled during the day, my boss doesn't care how I do it just as long as it gets done.

Personally, local works out way better for me than OTR did. However, that's not to say that OTR is the Spawn of Satan - some guys really like it and they fit well with the job. OTR is difficult to do with a family, especially where young kids are involved. Hell, my daughter went around for 3 weeks telling random people "my daddy left us" and they would always try to console my wife because of the divorce.

Except there was no divorce, my daughter knew I wasn't around anymore, but didn't know why no matter how many times her mom tried to explain it to her. That was one of the worst feelings in my life knowing that my kids thought I just abandoned them for no reason.

Enough of my rambling for now, but if you want to ask some questions, MOST of the people here are very helpful. If I don't quit, I may be accused of being another CFM.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsparta69
Yeah i've heard different things here and there. I havent called anybody to get info just going by whats on websites and what people have to say here. I just want a change in my life and thought the money might be decent and enjoy traveling the country and getting away from home some.(Well alot ) I mean does the money get nice or does it stay below a g a week?
Generally, IF you can keep your nose clean by getting no tickets and no accidents, yes money will increase with experience.
I wouldnt worry too much about the money. If it was really that bad, why would anyone do it right?

Now..I know your new here and looking for info as you are clueless with the industry. In response to what DLE said (no offense).
I didnt go to ANY trucking school, I have done ZERO over the road, I have seen my kids everyday, slept in my bed every night, etc etc, and I'm only in year number two.
I work avg between 8-12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and I'm on par to make $60K+ this year, and I didnt even start until the end of May.

In my first year and my first job, I made approx $35K. Same deal, Home everyday etc etc.

IMO, Do OTR if you want to. Not because you have to. I know that it is much much easier to get an OTR job, but if your willing to put in the leg work, you can find a local job even with no experience. I did, and I know a couple other drivers on here have also.
(See Double R & Mackman).

Adapt and overcome.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
maybe only a few times have i ever received breakdown, detention, extra stop, and unloading pay. the most recent detention pay i received was a week and a half ago when i was at the norfolk southern rail yard in shitcago, il waiting on an empty trailer to come in on track 3. i waited allllllllll through saturday night and finally got hooked up to it 12hrs later. i hardly got any sleep because the rail yard is in the hood. for 5hrs straight, i heard non-stop sirens from mostly police cars and ambulances.

you'll have to constantly run your ass off to break $700 a week in take home pay. i no longer really see the point in doing so because of those hhg miles. in the midwest, zip codes are pretty huge, so you'll be cheated out of quite a bit of miles. like mentioned before, all those shafted miles will come back at you in the long run. it'll leave you feeling cheated, used, and abused.
Haha I've been there, it was after there that i told swift if they give me another load going to or from a rail yard, I will refuse it!

I had to pick up a Container somewhere right outside of gary, which was a nightmare to find, then bring it there no sooner then 30 hours later, and you know that is only a 30 min drive :P. Didn't pay attention to the 'get off the exit, get back on going the other way, then take that exit' directions, so I ended up at a 13' bridge, luckily I was able to turn down that road there and turn around.

Get to the rail yard, and sit a whole lot more just for them to tell me to drop it!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

As a new truck driver you won't see a paycheck with more then four digits before the Decimal point? I have taken home more then a grand 12 times in my first 25 weeks. Took home at least $900 7 of the other 13. I had no prior over the road experience so if I can do it why can't others? Most I stayed out was 15 days usually home most weekends.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
As a new truck driver you won't see a paycheck with more then four digits before the Decimal point? I have taken home more then a grand 12 times in my first 25 weeks. Took home at least $900 7 of the other 13. I had no prior over the road experience so if I can do it why can't others? Most I stayed out was 15 days usually home most weekends.
Apparently you failed to read the rest of what I had to say in regards to that subject, including the example.

Quote:
Running legally for 26cpm will NEVER get you close to $1000 net.
Is it impossible to take home over $1,000 in a week as a new driver?
No.

Will you do it while running 100% legal for traditional "starter company" wages (26cpm - 29cpm)?
Highly Doubtful.

Let me further clarify my point.

When I talk about "new drivers", I'm referring to those who have less than 90 days solo (not including time with a mentor / trainer / finisher or those who are team drivers).

The vast majorty of new OTR drivers end up with one of a handful of companies (Swift, Werner, Schneider, etc) pulling a dry van and the loads they get usually aren't that great when you talk about mileage.

Again, the vast majority of new drivers will (hopefully) be running legal. That means one log book, logging things as they do it, and not using the split sleeper berth provision. While the split sleeper is legal, it is a rather complicated thing to pick up when you are still relatively new to running a log in general.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Rookie

I really do appreciate everyones opinon. Jim so how u get your CDL since you didnt take a class? I would LOVVVVVEEEE to be able to do local and see the youngins all the time. I just figured you had to do your on the road before luck out with local jobs. That not true? And again thank you all for your opinons
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd....once you've completed your contracted time with swift. you'll then be tossed to the side, the bullshit stacks higher, and higher, and higher. when you're nearing the 2 year marker, more bullshit will be tossed at you.

basically, i've began to wake up that swift does not care for their experienced drivers. they want to rotate the drivers so the experienced ones are either laid off or quit, the newbies come in, and swift gets to keep the wages low. if you sign that contract with them. do the time, and get the hell outta there ASAP.

there, i've finally said just a tad bit of what's been bothering the fizzuck outta me. are the rest of you on lalaCADland satisfied?
You actually work (or had worked) for Swift, or you one of these 'super truckers' who dont like them, because you hear everyone else dont like them?? Or you worked for them, but because your expectations were too high, and/or you didnt get your way or that you quit or got fired, that they are now a 'bad company'??? Just asking.

As far as Swift goes, I attended their school in Idaho back in mid-August. They do charge a $150 'sitting fee'. You are not guarenteed a job after you complete the school, BUT you do have a CDL Class A. That alone will get you into SOME over the road company. And if it is a Swift Academy, it is 3 weeks long....not 6. Now i know there are CDL schools out there, that many companies recruit from, some 2 weeks to 6 weeks....but just saying Swift Company schools are 3 weeks.

I went right from the school, to orientation. Spent a day at home, then right back on a bus to orientation. It was kind of a circus to get a mentor, then the one I got wasnt worth a bird crap. I got a new one 2 weeks into my 6 weeks, and am learning TONS more. So far, i haven not signed a 'contract', other than the one I signed to repay the tuition for school.

As far as THAT goes, you graduate school, you owe $3900. (your $150 sitting fee goes toward that tuition) You work for Swift for 13 months (from the time you go solo) you've repaid your half of the school, the company pays for the other half. Stay with Swift for another 13 months, and you went to school for free, as the next 13 months, they pay you back, what they took out of your pay the first 13 months. But, unless you get a good deal, like a company that can guarentee you 2500-3000 miles AND pay you $.41cpm+, then take it. But the pay dont mean anything unless you get the miles. If you get paid more, but have to complain just to get 2000 miles a week, then whats the point of getting paid more?

You are given a truck, how much you make isnt up to the company and how much they pay, it is how hard you are willing to work and how many miles you drive. if you want to sit at the terminal and whine about only getting 3 100 mile loads a day, and you turn them down cause you want to make a point to your DM telling him/her you will only take loads that give you 400-600 miles a day, then dont whine when your paycheck is only $250 a week. I'll take those 3-100 mile loads, i'll bend over backwards, and do favors for the DM. Cause when that 600-1000 mile 2-day load comes in, who do you think will get it when they look at their list of drivers?? Your reputation preceeds you.

As far as how much to expect to make? First year, i would say dont plan on anything more than $35k. Some will tell you "oh you can make $40-45k", but that is if everything works out perfectly, and you get 3000-3500 miles a week. What i plan to do, is work at Swift for 2 years (unless something better comes along) then move to hauling cars and making $50-55k. Get a year in MINIMUM, then so many other doors will open for you.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 10-04-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
You actually work (or had worked) for Swift, or you one of these 'super truckers' who dont like them, because you hear everyone else dont like them?? Or you worked for them, but because your expectations were too high, and/or you didnt get your way or that you quit or got fired, that they are now a 'bad company'??? Just asking.

As far as Swift goes, I attended their school in Idaho back in mid-August. They do charge a $150 'sitting fee'. You are not guarenteed a job after you complete the school, BUT you do have a CDL Class A. That alone will get you into SOME over the road company. And if it is a Swift Academy, it is 3 weeks long....not 6. Now i know there are CDL schools out there, that many companies recruit from, some 2 weeks to 6 weeks....but just saying Swift Company schools are 3 weeks.

I went right from the school, to orientation. Spent a day at home, then right back on a bus to orientation. It was kind of a circus to get a mentor, then the one I got wasnt worth a bird crap. I got a new one 2 weeks into my 6 weeks, and am learning TONS more. So far, i haven not signed a 'contract', other than the one I signed to repay the tuition for school.

As far as THAT goes, you graduate school, you owe $3900. (your $150 sitting fee goes toward that tuition) You work for Swift for 13 months (from the time you go solo) you've repaid your half of the school, the company pays for the other half. Stay with Swift for another 13 months, and you went to school for free, as the next 13 months, they pay you back, what they took out of your pay the first 13 months. But, unless you get a good deal, like a company that can guarentee you 2500-3000 miles AND pay you $.41cpm+, then take it. But the pay dont mean anything unless you get the miles. If you get paid more, but have to complain just to get 2000 miles a week, then whats the point of getting paid more?

You are given a truck, how much you make isnt up to the company and how much they pay, it is how hard you are willing to work and how many miles you drive. if you want to sit at the terminal and whine about only getting 3 100 mile loads a day, and you turn them down cause you want to make a point to your DM telling him/her you will only take loads that give you 400-600 miles a day, then dont whine when your paycheck is only $250 a week. I'll take those 3-100 mile loads, i'll bend over backwards, and do favors for the DM. Cause when that 600-1000 mile 2-day load comes in, who do you think will get it when they look at their list of drivers?? Your reputation preceeds you.

As far as how much to expect to make? First year, i would say dont plan on anything more than $35k. Some will tell you "oh you can make $40-45k", but that is if everything works out perfectly, and you get 3000-3500 miles a week. What i plan to do, is work at Swift for 2 years (unless something better comes along) then move to hauling cars and making $50-55k. Get a year in MINIMUM, then so many other doors will open for you.
The school is 3 to 6 weeks, reason is that if you fail a week, you will repeat the week you failed, because the first week is classroom for the written, 2nd week is basic maneuvers, and 3rd week is on the road. So if you fail a week you repeat it, but can only repeat each respective week once, so that is why it is 3 to 6 weeks. But the majority will complete it in 3 weeks.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
The school is 3 to 6 weeks, reason is that if you fail a week, you will repeat the week you failed, because the first week is classroom for the written, 2nd week is basic maneuvers, and 3rd week is on the road. So if you fail a week you repeat it, but can only repeat each respective week once, so that is why it is 3 to 6 weeks. But the majority will complete it in 3 weeks.
True, but how long did your recruiter tell you it would be? Mine billed it as a 3-week course....which it is. If you fail a week, first of all it should be a red-flag that you mightn ot be cut out for this business. you only get one free 'academic probation' card. any more than that, and it costs you $750 each week you remain for each 'section' of the class. Check out their website, they even say it is 3 weeks. It is only a six week course if YOU make it 6 weeks....and can afford it. Tell me, where did you go to Swift School?