User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
OK, have you posted your resume on CAD yet? There are so many different directions that you can go at this point.

Adding also, if anyone from the Chicagoland area is aware of local company training situations, please hop on board here!
Anyone with job openings please PM me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

JB Hunt should be contacting you shortly :lol:
Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been driving A LOT in Chicago lately, actually more than I would like. I've noticed a lot of daycabs and sleeper trucks hauling the intermodal containers. JB Hunt must have a huge intermodal operation up there. I always get stuck behind their slow trucks hauling the cans. :evil:

Every major LTL carrier has a terminal in the Chicago area. I see them everywhere. There are probably hundreds of smaller companies that no one knows about. You should not have a problem finding work up there.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 AM

there is a jb terminal on i-55 off of cicero ave in chicago, driven by it many times...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I need help finding a driving job

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
I have no tickets the past 15 years, no accidents, and have a great driving record.

I've driven busses that range from 37 feet long to 41 feet long. Will a company look at this as better experience for a new hire than just someone who drives a normal car?

No. Buses are NOT combinatin vehicles so they don't count as experience.

How can I upgrade from a class B to a class A? Do I have to take a class, or can I study on my own and take the test since I already have the class B?

You have to take written tests (Combinations as well as whatever other endorsements you want to have like Double/Triples, Tankers and HazMat) to get a Learners Permit for a Class A License. The you still need driving and pre-trip practice to take the Skills and Driving Tests to get your license. So you will need access to a tractor/trailor. Unless you get into a company that offers this kind of training you will have to attend a school. Insurance companies will not insure a Class A driver who does NOT attend an accredited school.

Is there any company that will hire me and test me at their location for a class A?

The big training companies, like Swift will. Not many small companies can afford to do that.

If there is no cheap way to get a class A license, are there any decent paying jobs for a class B?

If finances are an issue, check with your local Employment office and see if you can qualify for a WIA grant to pay for school. Yes there are Class B jobs that pay pretty well, but they are hard to get into around here right now. Are you in Chicago/Cook County or a Suburb?

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Roehl has a terminal in Gary just off I80/94 just off of Cline.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...num=1&ct=title
They do have training there.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Rookie

I am unsure about the training aspect of this position but this may be an opportunity of interest to you:

Road Driver (Less than 1 Year Experience) (CGB) – 080003187
Description - All Entry-Level Driver positions are intended for candidates
with less than 1 year of driving experience.

https://www.myyellow.com/dynamic/ser...ion/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
If the pay is good I'll drive anywhere no matter how bad the weather or traffic.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:51 PM

I agree, if you are from Chicago you should have no trouble ever finding a load home or out of home, which is a plus seeing how that was always a problem for me in western PA.

I drove for Swift and went through their company training. I must admit the training was very good, I had my Class A CDL 3 weeks later after never having driven a truck before. Since you have some Class B experience, you would probably be able to do the same with Swift's training. I know they have a terminal in Gary, IN which is near you. Even though you have your Class B, I would recommend sucking it up and going through the 3 week training that Swift or Schneider has to offer. Since you said you are willing to do all 48 states, Swift and Schneider would probably work out well for you. I would recommend looking into it and seeing if it suits your needs. Hope this helps. Good luck!