User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving Reefers Vs. Driving Dry Vans

I am looking at getting into the trucking industry as a second career. I have narrowed my choices down to Watkins-Shepard, Central Refrigerated, and Swift, as all have driver training schools. I will have to go with a training company such as one of these three because I do not have the money to pay for a school on my own.

I will appreciate any input regarding driving reefers vs. driving dry vans, and any input on these three companies.

I live in Pahrump, NV, which is about 70 miles northwest of Las Vegas. Does any of these companies have lanes through this area and/or dedicated runs near Pahrump so that I can get home a little more often? If not, any other training companies that have frequent runs through this area?

I have been reading the forums here at CAD for a few years. I know that there are several past threads on these companies and reefers vs. vans. I am seeking any new, fresh input on these topics.

TIA.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM

Swift has a Terminal in Sparks.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 AM

Sparks is in northern Nevada, next door to Reno. I'm 400 miles away from Reno/Sparks, close to Las Vegas. Does Swift run through Las Vegas a lot, and would they allow me to take the truck home, 70 miles away from Las Vegas, for my home time?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 AM

Swift runs everywhere. Yes, they'd let you take the truck home with you.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Look for sycrosonix (sp). He posts on this board alot. He runs for Swift out in your part of the country. He probably has good info for you regarding your questions. Hes usually on the board at least once a day.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Rookie

you might ck with swift about taken truck home i have a couple friends who drive for them both have been there about 8 yrs now. and they told me a few weeks ago they have to leave there truck at the terminal. one guy lives in fl 2.5 hrs away from there ocala term thats 5 hrs round trip. plus he said when he leaves his truck there they are using it for local runs. so hes about to leave swift. i have driven both reefer and dry van im going back to dry van. both were ok but with reefer you tend to sit more and its taken two yrs but i have finally got on with a co here in central indiana that will get me home on weekends. i started with swift just for there schooling worked for them 3 months and left for a better co. so just so you know if you go to swift and find you dont want to work for them for the entire time you sign on for you can leave and work out payment plan. good luck
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
knobs wrote

you might ck with swift about taken truck home i have a couple friends who drive for them both have been there about 8 yrs now. and they told me a few weeks ago they have to leave there truck at the terminal.
I can support this....I was told at orientation a couple of weeks ago that Swift's new policy is that trucks have to go to the terminal unless you live within 50 miles of the terminal. They will try to find loads close to your home so that you could possibly take the truck home.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

If you choose reefers KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR TEMPS!!

When I worked a Schneider this one individual got loaded at a frozen food shipper and did not check his temps before he left.

He took a 10 hour break and drove to the Walmart distribution center with a trailer filled with about $25,000 of food that had to be unloaded and thrown straight into the dumpster. The temps were supposed to be -20!

They shut 2 zones off to load him up (they did not want cold air blowing on them while they loaded) so he still had a green light on. The green light was only for 1 zone :cry:
Old 09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
If you choose reefers KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR TEMPS!!

When I worked a Schneider this one individual got loaded at a frozen food shipper and did not check his temps before he left.

He took a 10 hour break and drove to the Walmart distribution center with a trailer filled with about $25,000 of food that had to be unloaded and thrown straight into the dumpster. The temps were supposed to be -20!

They shut 2 zones off to load him up (they did not want cold air blowing on them while they loaded) so he still had a green light on. The green light was only for 1 zone :cry:
Yeah, and you do sit A LOT running reefer. Plus, operating costs are high (once the "insulation" starts to break down within the walls, the cooling unit has to work much harder to keep the temperature up). It burns more fuel and, if the company doesn't do anything about it, you will end up hearing a lot of bitching about fuel...as is it's your fault. People love to bitch but don't love to fix problems...

Humphry Davy
Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks, all, for your replies. I am leaning toward Watkins-Shepard because with them, it's straight from their driving school into a truck of your own. No spending weeks with a trainer who you may not like.

The recruiter I spoke with said that I would be out for three weeks, then have three days home time. As W-S has a terminal in Las Vegas, this did not make a lot of sense to me. Living only 70 miles from that terminal, shouldn't I be able to get home a little more often? This is not a huge deal for me, but I am curious.

The recruiter also told me that about half of W-S's fleet is equipped with APUs, and that the other half should be equipped by the end of the year. Is 3-1/2 months realistically enough time to accomplish this? This is important, in case I get stuck in California where it is now against the law to idle a truck for more than five minutes.

I have lots of other questions for W-S. What kind of freight? What percentage no-touch/drop-and-hook? Can I take the truck home? Etc., etc. I'll be calling her back on Monday for answers.

In the meantime, if any of you can shed more light on working for Watkins-Shepard, please post.