User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The whole idea is that the issue will never rise to taking them to court.

A simple nasty-gram from an Attorney threatening them with a libel or slander suit should get them to change their tune.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Board Regular

Frankly I wouldnt want to work anywhere they didnt respect me enough as a 15 year veteran driver and attempted to pay me as a second year newbie.
I think you are perhaps looking in the wrong areas. These mega companies are beurocratic corporations full of paper shufflers and bean counters. What about the personal approach. A cubucle monkey is making the decisions based on what policy is and missing out on hiring a good driver. Be it the insurance company or the mega truck companie, they really don't deserve your time or interest in them.

Scale back a bit and find a smaller fleet where the boss does the hiring and you will be much happier in the long run.

Not just talking out my arse here. I have had my CDL for 15 years and spent the first 10 OTR. Never a Ticket or accident or even an incident. After working local for 5 years I was faced with much the same dilema , but instead hit the eventual lottery and found a gig with a small fleet where I am treated with top notch respect and my needs are addressed. They value me as an integral part of their business and I would never trade it for the world.

I despise these major companies after seeing first hand how completely bogus they are. They all cry and whine about driver shortages and turnover and lack of skilled applicants but never even take their eyes off the list of requirements set forth by their out of touch management. I beleive fully that they intentionally do this to keep drivers in the newbie pay scale and to have someone to rite off to the insurance man to cover all their equipment losses. They dont really want skilled drivers stirring things up and showing others how bad it is. Heck they are still angling to be able to import immigrants to fill their ranks. Imagine how grand their big pie would become if allowed that.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Board Regular

I don't know if anyone suggested this because I skimmed through this thread pretty quick and still waking up, but it it were me I would personally apply with a new company with my driving logs, any toll receipts or credit card receipts for hotel rooms or road expenses to prove you drove regional or otr. And explain the grudge and false statements that will be forthcoming when your new employer calls to verify. You might have to spend a few days on the road meeting new employers in person but it would probably pay off. Might be a quicker option and less expensive than getting an attorney. Good luck and hope it works out ok for you.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
The whole idea is that the issue will never rise to taking them to court.

A simple nasty-gram from an Attorney threatening them with a libel or slander suit should get them to change their tune.
I agree.

If your former employer doesn't change their tune, at least you have a copy of the letter from the attorney that you could show to perspective employers. That may be enough for them to take a 2nd look at you (along with any other documentation you have to back up your driving history).
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinge
Frankly I wouldnt want to work anywhere they didnt respect me enough as a 15 year veteran driver and attempted to pay me as a second year newbie.
I think you are perhaps looking in the wrong areas. These mega companies are beurocratic corporations full of paper shufflers and bean counters. What about the personal approach. A cubucle monkey is making the decisions based on what policy is and missing out on hiring a good driver. Be it the insurance company or the mega truck companie, they really don't deserve your time or interest in them.

Scale back a bit and find a smaller fleet where the boss does the hiring and you will be much happier in the long run.

Not just talking out my arse here. I have had my CDL for 15 years and spent the first 10 OTR. Never a Ticket or accident or even an incident. After working local for 5 years I was faced with much the same dilema , but instead hit the eventual lottery and found a gig with a small fleet where I am treated with top notch respect and my needs are addressed. They value me as an integral part of their business and I would never trade it for the world.

I despise these major companies after seeing first hand how completely bogus they are. They all cry and whine about driver shortages and turnover and lack of skilled applicants but never even take their eyes off the list of requirements set forth by their out of touch management. I beleive fully that they intentionally do this to keep drivers in the newbie pay scale and to have someone to rite off to the insurance man to cover all their equipment losses. They dont really want skilled drivers stirring things up and showing others how bad it is. Heck they are still angling to be able to import immigrants to fill their ranks. Imagine how grand their big pie would become if allowed that.
Yes sir! Being treated as a person rather than a number is not a bad way to go! 8)