User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 1st post and Sage school?

Hi. This is my first post here. I've had my CDL permit for a month. I have a friend teaching me to drive. I've been riding for a few years (1-2 weeks out at a time when I get time off at work) and have learned quite a bit. I'm going to team drive with the friend who is teaching me once I get my license.

Anyway, I've heard different things about getting a job. I've heard that if I'm team driving with someone with experience the companies will allow me to learn with the person with experience who would be "training" me for the first few weeks. I've also heard from others that the ins. companies won't allow the trucking company to hire someone who hasn't gone to trucking school. I plan on doing this right no matter which way is the right way. I refuse to get my license until I'm a good, safe driver. I could pass the driving test now but I don't want to just pass it. I feel like passing a test is just that and being able to drive competantly is a whole different thing. I have a job now so I'm in no rush. I'm a college graduate with a very good job. So what is the truth about getting in to trucking? Keep in mind I'm going to start off team driving with someone with lots of experience.

Also, have you heard of the Sage company? The told me I wouldn't need the regular class but just the refresher course because I can drive and know about a lot of the stuff that will be taught in the books already. I've talked to them and the are associated with a local community college.

Anything else I may need to know? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Every company has it's own policies regarding who they will and won't hire. Yes, many times these policies may be strongly influenced by their insurance carrier, but all the same you need to talk to what ever company you are planning on working for and find out their specific policy regarding hiring and training.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Rookie

Any other suggestions?
In your opinion, whats the best way to start? With a truck company school or a truck driving school from a community college?
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo0123
Any other suggestions?
In your opinion, whats the best way to start? With a truck company school or a truck driving school from a community college?
Thanks.
Between those two choices, community college wins hands down.

It's usually a lot cheaper than a CDL mill, has fewer students, and higher quality instruction (more range time / road time per student).

Some carriers (Crete, for example), won't take a new driver (no experience) unless they graduated from a PTDI (Professional Truck Driving Institute) certified school, which many community colleges are, but CDL mills are not.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 AM

Is the Sage school in Kingman, AZ PTDI certified?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Hi friend.....welcome to the board
Yes, the Sage school in Kingman is certified. I went to the Sage school in Lake Jackson, Tx......they have since been closed down. Kingman is good because you'll spend alot of time practicing the mountains. BOL