User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Gentlemen, allow Belpre to present a couple of pics of a truck with REAL race cars!!!

Go open wheel dirt! Forget about those tricked out taxi cabs!:lol: Ernie Earnhardt, Ernie Gordon, Ernie Martin, Ernie Busch! Shut that Sunday snoozefest crap off and go see a real race!!

I have to agree 100%. Dirt is for racing, asphalt is for getting there.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Board Icon

dollarshort said:

Quote:
It's like anything else in NASCAR. You have to know someone to get your foot in the door.
I know Dale Earnhardt's mother, Martha. Had lunch with her in the private (company) dining room at DEI. Does that count? :wink:

Quote:
I used to race and build cars.
So did/does every OTHER redneck in NC!! And HALF of 'em have CDL's! :lol:

I hear Teresa's looking for a new husband and driver at DEI.... and she ain't too particular about looks! (She married Dale, didn't she?) Maybe, you should ask her out! :wink:

Wow, I posted this and it disappeared! Now the board is running slow for me, too! If this double posts..... it is NOT MY FAULT!

signed: Last Word Larry!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Board Icon

Dirt racing is fine but there ain't no money in it right now. Maybe in 10-15 years it will be where Nascar currently is. I'd like to see Nascar drop a couple of the cookie-cutter tracks and run 2-3 races a year on dirt. Do the Super Late Model's like they run for Tony's Charity Event at Eldora every year. Make 1 of the races a Chase race and put in a Road Course and you have the works over the final 10 races. 1 Dirt, 1 Road Course, 1 Short Track, 3 1 Mile Tracks of varying corners(steep at Dover, flat at Loudon and halfway in-between both at Homestead) 1 1.5 Mile Track, 1 2 mile Track and 1 Restrictor Plate Track and Phoenix's odd shaped track.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Board Regular

hey for a road course go one better have a dirt road course :lol:
but to get back to the origional topic if i was a dot officer and i saw like jeff gordon or jimmy johnsons haulers comming down the road id let them get up to the scale then flip the sign to closed and of course inspect every inch of both trucks go over the paperwork with a fine tooth comb hehe :twisted:
Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyynksfn4vr
In my opinion, I think it would be fun to be one of the Driver's that hauls those cars all across the country to different race tracks. I know one of Jimmie Johnson's Pit crew members is one of the truck drivers for his car. I just think it would be fun to drive those rigs........
Well, no doubt they are nice rigs. And camping out at the races each week would be fun. But, there ARE downsides.

I was running with a couple of them a few months ago through the gorge and on into Knoxville, TN. Yes..... I could keep up, I had a fast truck.

As I literally spent a few hours "with" them along the road, I got to hear the CB conversations. Two things stuck in my mind. First, they mentioned how, with the expanded schedule, they were OTR almost ALL the time! Rarely got a few days off to spend with their families. The trucks (and the cars) don't come home to NC every week! The DRIVERS of the cars do..... but not the "equipment." When they DO get home, it is usually only an overnighter, then BACK on the road again.

The other thing was this. There are obviously alot of truckers out there that are race fans. And CB's often only project a few miles (especially in the mountains.) So...... every few minutes, another eastbound trucker came into range, or passed by them, and they ALL had the same question! "Hey, where you guys heading this week?" :roll:

"Sonoma" was the answer. Over and over and over and well..... you get the picture! :lol:

How would you like to drive from NC to CA and every 5 mins have to answer the SAME question over the CB?? We're going to Sonoma! (read your friggin schedule, driver!) :lol:

"Good luck!"

"Yeah, thanks!"

"Where y'all heading?"

"Sonoma."

"Good luck!"

"Yeah, thanks!"

"Where.... SONOMA!..... and thanks!"

"Okay, good luck!"

"Hey, Johnny..... let's pull off here at the hook! I need a break!" :roll:

NO DOUBT! :shock: :lol:

So.... next time y'all SEE one of these trucks, ask the driver something about HIM, or his family! It'll go along way towards making their trip easier! In fact, keep him on the "air" as long as you can, with ANY discussion you can strike up. But, PLEASE..... read your schedule, and don't ask him where's he's going! :lol:

[Oh, and..... dirt track SUX! Nascar RULES!]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm with Hobo NASCAR is better but I also like to watch the dirt racers especially Eldora.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Dirt racing is fine but there ain't no money in it right now. Maybe in 10-15 years it will be where Nascar currently is. I'd like to see Nascar drop a couple of the cookie-cutter tracks and run 2-3 races a year on dirt. Do the Super Late Model's like they run for Tony's Charity Event at Eldora every year. Make 1 of the races a Chase race and put in a Road Course and you have the works over the final 10 races. 1 Dirt, 1 Road Course, 1 Short Track, 3 1 Mile Tracks of varying corners(steep at Dover, flat at Loudon and halfway in-between both at Homestead) 1 1.5 Mile Track, 1 2 mile Track and 1 Restrictor Plate Track and Phoenix's odd shaped track.
It would be great if dirt open wheel/taxi cabs could claim their rightful place in the BIG spotlight! I do have to wonder if Neckcar is considering some type of variety such as the lineup that you describe. That sounds like a great plan to me. (sure your name isn't Ford-France :wink: )

Speaking of dirt heaven, Eldora. It truly doesn't get any better than that!
I was fortunate, in that my father and Larry Dickson were lifelong friends and Larry lived right up the river in Marietta, Oh. I got spoiled pretty early on Eldora, as I sometimes got to go to Eldora with the reigning USAC National Sprint Car champion and hobo around all Sunday and get to skip school on Monday. Same kind of stuff when Larry ran the Indy 500 in the late 70s, early 80s. It can only go downhill from there!! :lol:

How I somehow ended up living in Indianapolis and driving a fuel tanker that is virtually parked in the shadows of the Turn 2 bleachers at IMS is purely coincidental and definitely a story for another day.

Here are a couple of links;

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ldickson2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Dickson

Go Dirt!!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Nascar's idea of variety is throwing in a right turn.....
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Rookie

Hey golfhobo, I hear ya, I can definitely imagine how irritating it must get for those drivers getting asked over and over the same question. Yeah those guys do spend alot of time on the road but, they do actually go back to there home and pick up the cars for the next week and then head out, so yes they are never home.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

I unloaded my F1 racer yesterday morning...pics to come soon. Evenb though it was a van line order, the broker was still calling me everyday to see where I was (for the last week and 1/2!).