User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

any more tips...............................keep them coming......... :idea: :idea: 8) 8)

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Rookie

I drove a roll-off truck for about 3-4 years, I loved it, except the company I worked for at the time didn't give raises so I left.

I used the hand controls when there were overhead obstacles. Watch out pr powerlines and trees!

Try to line up with the can from the get go, it'll make things easier! If you are not sure if the rails are lined up get out and look. When you get some experience, you can be a little off and still be able to pull a can on by steering under it.

I used to always let the cable pull the truck under the can whenever I could, especially when the can was stuck in the ground from setting for a while.

If you are trying to pull a can on and can't get it lined up because the ground is un level, don't be afraid to pull the can out from its spot. You can use the cable as a winch.

When your rolling a can off, you can set the back of the can where you want it and let the truck roll out from under it, sometimes.

You can back a can like a trailer to save time. tighten the cable to where the front wheels are off of the ground and back it in to your spot, just watch out for curbs!

There's some info to get you started.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherman
I drove a roll-off truck for about 3-4 years, I loved it, except the company I worked for at the time didn't give raises so I left.

I used the hand controls when there were overhead obstacles. Watch out pr powerlines and trees!

Try to line up with the can from the get go, it'll make things easier! If you are not sure if the rails are lined up get out and look. When you get some experience, you can be a little off and still be able to pull a can on by steering under it.

I used to always let the cable pull the truck under the can whenever I could, especially when the can was stuck in the ground from setting for a while.

If you are trying to pull a can on and can't get it lined up because the ground is un level, don't be afraid to pull the can out from its spot. You can use the cable as a winch.

When your rolling a can off, you can set the back of the can where you want it and let the truck roll out from under it, sometimes.

You can back a can like a trailer to save time. tighten the cable to where the front wheels are off of the ground and back it in to your spot, just watch out for curbs!

There's some info to get you started.
Thanks Brotherman for all the great info.

Like I said in an earlier post....."i pulled a box up and started to lower the rails and noticed it was off center...(the other driver i was with just pulled ahead alittle and it was fine)..i got mad at myself because i did'nt see it...i was looking out the rear window...i have to get on "eye" for this.....it's alittle hard to see where the rail is falling.........."

It was hard to see where the rail met the box from inside the cab. When I pull up the box just past the tandems I start to lower the rails to see where I'm at. Does this technique sound right to you? What would you suggest? I'm just trying to "eyeball" the rails better... :arrow: 8)

Thanks again.

sirach,51;30 8) 8)

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

The Mark Levin Show
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM
Rookie

Just take your time, do whatever works best for you! remember not to lower the rails too low, keep them above the back window when pulling a can on.. just incase the cable snaps.

When I started driving a rolloff, I had 1 day training with the owner of the company. The second day I was out on my own and had no clue of what I was doing, when I left there I was doing 8-10 can a day, my best day was 13 cans, without an auto tarper. As time goes on, you will get more experienced and do things with that truck that you didn't think was possible to get a can and/or to get the back door closed.

Sounds like your doing just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
It was hard to see where the rail met the box from inside the cab. When I pull up the box just past the tandems I start to lower the rails to see where I'm at. Does this technique sound right to you? What would you suggest? I'm just trying to "eyeball" the rails better... :arrow: 8)

Thanks again.

sirach,51;30 8) 8)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherman
Just take your time, do whatever works best for you! remember not to lower the rails too low, keep them above the back window when pulling a can on.. just incase the cable snaps.

When I started driving a rolloff, I had 1 day training with the owner of the company. The second day I was out on my own and had no clue of what I was doing, when I left there I was doing 8-10 can a day, my best day was 13 cans, without an auto tarper. As time goes on, you will get more experienced and do things with that truck that you didn't think was possible to get a can and/or to get the back door closed.

Sounds like your doing just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER

Thanks again.

sirach,51;30 8) 8)
thanks....brotherman..................keep me in prayer........just want to be safe............ 8)
are you still driving roll offs....????

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show
Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Rookie

No problem! I drive a triaxle dump truck for now, I work for allan myers out of PA. You've probably seen the trucks before since your in Jersey.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

GTR....Brudderman just gave you some of the best tips you need. Print the list, carry it with you.

Remember too, you don't need to stay in the cab...getting out and checking the box position is OK. As you gain experience and confidence you won't be hopping in and out...but until you have 7 or 8 month's...get the exercise!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
GTR....Brudderman just gave you some of the best tips you need. Print the list, carry it with you.

Remember too, you don't need to stay in the cab...getting out and checking the box position is OK. As you gain experience and confidence you won't be hopping in and out...but until you have 7 or 8 month's...get the exercise!
thanks guys............i'll keep ya posted...... :!: :!: 8) 8) :wink:

i've seen myers trucks before......i'm also looking into corbet (tri-ax...end dump)............we'llsee..............

if your ever in the bayonne jersey city area....let me know.......coffe is on me..... 8) 8)

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show