User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep
Well I know at least with the hooks, and this may be true with the cable, that if the dumpster is heavy enough and on the right type of pavement it will pull you under the can. Try to line up straight so that when you look down your mirrors the can will be in between your outside tires. That may not make sense though haha. And what I did with the hook trucks is I look out my back window to get the dumpster on correctly because its very difficult to judge where the dumpster is being loaded on your truck. Of course you still use your mirrors to make sure you're not running someone over or taking a roof down.

If you ever get in a situtation where you're stuck you also can use the dumpster to push you out of the mud or snow or whaterver it is instead of having to call the wrecker. I learned that the hard way. Don't know if this helps but thats all I can think of at the moment.
thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep them coming people............!!!!!!!! :wink: 8)

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default roll off

:roll: bump.... :roll:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I didnt forget you GTR i will call him tonight. I seen him the other day at the quarry (drives dumps now) but is was in a rush.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

What "STYLE" rool-off are you looking at operationg?
Straight truck, or tractor-trailor?

Straight truck is fairly simple, keep the side of the truck squared up in the mirror, once your hooked up with the cable on a cable pull, draw the truck back to the box with the cable(brakes released and truck in neutral). Before lifitng the box, get out and look at it. Check how it looks against the rails.
You can square the box to the rail as you are lifting, provided you go slow while drawing the box, make small movements with the steering wheel while the truck is rolling back into the box. With a straight truck, you lower the bed while drawing the box, so things can go pretty fast.

With a tractor/trailer, it is easiest to line the trailer axles up square with the box. Lot's of guy's like to look down the driver-side rail while backing...but I found it easier and faster to simply square the tandems to the side of the box. With a trailer, your going to be working outside the cab the entire time.

Things you have to remember. Wind.Once you have a box off the ground, the wind affects what you do immencely. When your dumping the box, especially, remember to square the entire truck to the dump zone, so that you are parked as level as terrain allows.

I always slid the box to the back of the rails, before unchaining the door, when I was dumping. That way...the junk fell onto the ground once the door came open...instead of onto the rails and bed of the trailer frame. When you tip the box to empty it, do not lift the bed so far that the rail ends dig into the ground...that just gets you stuck faster.

When your dumping into a landfill, don't let the operator push on the box to get you unstuck...always make them pull you...that is why your truck has a tow hook and the cat has a cable.

During transport on the road, alwasy make sure the tarp is over the load and secured, and always..loaded and empty, make sure the box is chained or strapped at the back.

Never get between the box and the ground, or the box and the rails. When hooking the cable, the units brakes should be set, and when you reach in to hook the cable, keep your feet as firmly planted as possible.

If a box hops the rails, loaded or empty, stop drawing or rolling. Lower the bed to the horizontal position, then find help. A dozer operator that has worked around boxes will know exactly what to do, to get the box back on the rail safely.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default roll off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
I didnt forget you GTR i will call him tonight. I seen him the other day at the quarry (drives dumps now) but is was in a rush.
thanks mackman............... 8) 8) 8)

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
What "STYLE" rool-off are you looking at operationg?
Straight truck, or tractor-trailor?

Straight truck is fairly simple, keep the side of the truck squared up in the mirror, once your hooked up with the cable on a cable pull, draw the truck back to the box with the cable(brakes released and truck in neutral). Before lifitng the box, get out and look at it. Check how it looks against the rails.
You can square the box to the rail as you are lifting, provided you go slow while drawing the box, make small movements with the steering wheel while the truck is rolling back into the box. With a straight truck, you lower the bed while drawing the box, so things can go pretty fast.

With a tractor/trailer, it is easiest to line the trailer axles up square with the box. Lot's of guy's like to look down the driver-side rail while backing...but I found it easier and faster to simply square the tandems to the side of the box. With a trailer, your going to be working outside the cab the entire time.

Things you have to remember. Wind.Once you have a box off the ground, the wind affects what you do immencely. When your dumping the box, especially, remember to square the entire truck to the dump zone, so that you are parked as level as terrain allows.

I always slid the box to the back of the rails, before unchaining the door, when I was dumping. That way...the junk fell onto the ground once the door came open...instead of onto the rails and bed of the trailer frame. When you tip the box to empty it, do not lift the bed so far that the rail ends dig into the ground...that just gets you stuck faster.

When your dumping into a landfill, don't let the operator push on the box to get you unstuck...always make them pull you...that is why your truck has a tow hook and the cat has a cable.

During transport on the road, alwasy make sure the tarp is over the load and secured, and always..loaded and empty, make sure the box is chained or strapped at the back.

Never get between the box and the ground, or the box and the rails. When hooking the cable, the units brakes should be set, and when you reach in to hook the cable, keep your feet as firmly planted as possible.

If a box hops the rails, loaded or empty, stop drawing or rolling. Lower the bed to the horizontal position, then find help. A dozer operator that has worked around boxes will know exactly what to do, to get the box back on the rail safely.
excellent info stan.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Straight truck (for now)

i pulled a box up and started to lower the rails and noticed it was off

center...(the other driver i was with just pulled ahead alittle and it was

fine)..i got mad at myself because i did'nt see it...i was looking out the

rear window...i have to get on "eye" for this.....it's alittle hard to see

where the rail is falling..............but i'll get it....!!!! :wink: :wink: :idea:

thanks again stan............ :wink: 8) 8)

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

:roll: bump :roll:

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show
Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you started that "Roll-off" job yet? If so..whom is it with?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

GTR i run into my unlce today at the quarry. But i forgot what to ask him. LOL Sorry. But he did say if your truck does not have atuo tarper whacth were you step when walking on a load. He had a nail come threw his boot one time.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Default roll off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Have you started that "Roll-off" job yet? If so..whom is it with?
the owner..........(a friend of a friend).......... said that he would train

me...and let me drive when they get busy.........also he knows alot

of "people" to maybe get me in a demo co. or such...............

it's a small scrap metal outfit......(2 trucks)

mackman...........have not seen tarps used yet......alot of big pieces of metal.....

Mother Teresa

The Mark Levin Show