Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: What exactly happens when you are pulled into weigh stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I've seen tickets that other drivers have gotten in WI, $1,100. In KS, $155. In IL, $1,400. In CA, $2.300. In ME, $3,700. (The driver that came back from ME with the $3,700 was asked for his toll tickets. He handed them all over, nearly a dozen, and all but 2 did not match his log.)
Which raises the question, "why would you log going through a toll booth?" No change in duty status (still driving) and I can find no requirement that passing through a toll booth requires flagging. Unless I'm missing something. But then, I've never flagged a tollbooth in my logs, and my company has never said a word. I notate all changes in duty status, but that's about it. Sometimes, for a quick Vehicle Check stop of less than 7 minutes, I will just flag it -- otherwise I just log it to the closest 15 minute mark.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...?section=395.8
Re-read the bold part. You don't log going through the toll booth BUT if you say go through a toll booth at 12:30pm and you show on your log that you were in the sleeper berth at 12:30pm in a different city, then you are in violation. That is what he meant by not matching.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Rookie

in the winter of 2001, i was hauling drilling equipment from Midland, TX to Sacramento, CA. after some major mechanical problems, in NV, i thought the trip was almost done. the truck and flatbed trailer were vey old, and the machine i was hauling was old and dirty, oily, etc. it was snowing VERY hard,as i pulled to the scalehouse in Truckee, CA. the light was green, so i continued on..... apparently, i had somehow missed the red light. maybe because of the snow. as i was pulling off, i saw the cop coming. when i stopped, he gave me a severe ass chewing. screaming, yelling..... :shock: said that i should have heard his orders on my CB.... the CB was broken. after returning for the inspection, they found something like 10 violations, most of which i had never heard of. i received several tickets, and was told i would have to park the truck, until the problems were corrected. the told me i could go...i called for a cab... they were unable to run because of the snow. after spending most of the night at the scalehouse, one of the officers offered to take me down the mountain, on her way home. i had to spend several days there snowed in at the hotel. i was finally able to rent a 4x4 and drive down off the mountain. i never saw that truck again.
SAM
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Default Re: What exactly happens when you are pulled into weigh stat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I've seen tickets that other drivers have gotten in WI, $1,100. In KS, $155. In IL, $1,400. In CA, $2.300. In ME, $3,700. (The driver that came back from ME with the $3,700 was asked for his toll tickets. He handed them all over, nearly a dozen, and all but 2 did not match his log.)
Which raises the question, "why would you log going through a toll booth?" No change in duty status (still driving) and I can find no requirement that passing through a toll booth requires flagging. Unless I'm missing something. But then, I've never flagged a tollbooth in my logs, and my company has never said a word. I notate all changes in duty status, but that's about it. Sometimes, for a quick Vehicle Check stop of less than 7 minutes, I will just flag it -- otherwise I just log it to the closest 15 minute mark.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...?section=395.8
Re-read the bold part. You don't log going through the toll booth BUT if you say go through a toll booth at 12:30pm and you show on your log that you were in the sleeper berth at 12:30pm in a different city, then you are in violation. That is what he meant by not matching.
Ya, I've reread the bold part a dozen times, and it still looks like the driver was logging toll booths. But I can see where that might not be what was meant.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Rookie

I just HAD to chime in here:

What exactly happens when you are pulled in:

1st - before you even get onto the scale, you start to think to yourself: is my logbook legal, am I legal weight wise, are there any lights that i "forgot" to replace...etc...

2nd- as you roll across the scale: You continue to go over, in your head, if they DOT guy is going to have a 50 lb badge and be Billy BO Bad-ASS COP.....or will you soon get the green....

3rd- Depending if you wind up inside for something stupid like "get that mudflap looked at" or..."How could you get from Atlanta to Memphis in 2 hours"

keep stuff off the dash, keep your truck clean, always be safe and legal and you will never have to feel the wrath of the DOT.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdog
I just HAD to chime in here:

What exactly happens when you are pulled in:

1st - before you even get onto the scale, you start to think to yourself: is my logbook legal, am I legal weight wise, are there any lights that i "forgot" to replace...etc...

2nd- as you roll across the scale: You continue to go over, in your head, if they DOT guy is going to have a 50 lb badge and be Billy BO Bad-ASS COP.....or will you soon get the green....

3rd- Depending if you wind up inside for something stupid like "get that mudflap looked at" or..."How could you get from Atlanta to Memphis in 2 hours"

[color=darkred]keep stuff off the dash, keep your truck clean, always be safe and legal and you will never have to feel the wrath of the DOT.[/color]
That is just too dang simple!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM

only weight station ticket i ever got so far was in conneticut on the hill off I 91. they were rollin everyone thru and when i got to the scale he was standing there and wanted to see my log real quick... whoops. didnt fill it out for that day.. (local job started at 6am in nj it was 930 now in ct) told him i wanted to beat the nyc traffic and planned to update as soon as i got to my stop in 45 mins. made me pull aside told me to do the log and handed me a 100 dollar ticket. his words. "this is a lesson learned take 5 minutes and do the log in the morning." yes sir.. was on my way in 20 minutes..

i run the i95 scales in maryland (perryville) everyday but always get the "proceed to I95" light. we had a driver overweight today on that scale, he was sitting there when i rolled thru. im not sure what they did to him. he ran 20 skids of shingles the max is supposed to be 18 at 48,800. i guess the company tried to pull a sneaky one and get a extra 2 skids goin.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Rookie

my 1st time i was pulled in was in WY my stepdeck was empty, my brother in law was empty, and 2 vans we were all together. My paper work was looked over. had to go back get the log book, it was fanned open just to see in any pages were mark. I asked why me and was told "the luck of the draw son"
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I usually start sweating, heart rate goes up, my muscles in my butt tense up, i put a death grip on the steering wheel, i grind every gear atleast twice before i remember to put the selector down, then kill it, and have to restart it.

no seriously......the more 'professional' you look, the odds are against you that you'll get pulled around. My first mentor, i could not believe he didnt get pulled around. His dash was a mess, he never brushed his hair, etc. He looked like a BUM. His truck was never clean, windshield was always caked with 2 week old dead bugs.

Granted my truck has almost 6000 miles on it now....i always keep my dash clear, windows clean, etc. Now granted, you might be that unlucky 10th driver to pass thru...but odds are if your truck looks like its on its last leg, or u look like a bum, or the DOT guy/gal inside can tell the inside of your truck is dirty from 1/4 mile away....you'll probably get pulled around.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
I think, but don't hold me to it because it was 4 years ago, but my CDL manual said that the medical card could not be laminated. I so want to laminate mine because if I don't take my wallet out of my pocket and get to sweating, everything gets wet and nasty in it.
that is correct........

THAT IS CORRECT.....

oh and one last thing....i have been pulled around once, this was JUST inside New Mexico...forget what interstate (I-29?) but was coming out of Pueblo, headed for Amarillo, and my IFTA sticker was missing, and it was January 3rd. I had the paperwork for the sticker, just no sticker. The lady at Swift said "in lieu of the sticker, this would get you by till you got to another terminal".

Anyways, without hesitation i take in my logbook, permit book and BOLs, so if they wanted to see anything, i had it. Figure if i take everything in, it would show i have nothing to hide....

Last edited by Kevin0915; 02-26-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
that is correct........

THAT IS CORRECT.....

oh and one last thing....i have been pulled around once, this was JUST inside New Mexico...forget what interstate (I-29?) but was coming out of Pueblo, headed for Amarillo, and my IFTA sticker was missing, and it was January 3rd. I had the paperwork for the sticker, just no sticker. The lady at Swift said "in lieu of the sticker, this would get you by till you got to another terminal".

Anyways, without hesitation i take in my logbook, permit book and BOLs, so if they wanted to see anything, i had it. Figure if i take everything in, it would show i have nothing to hide....

See...your way to comfortable with the big hiway. Out of Pueblo....US50 east to Lamar CO...south on US287 to Amarillo. Nicer drive. Shorter drive. 2 scales..Lamar CO and Boise City OK. I see both closed more than I see them open.