User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ohio is bad because they "double" fine you--- they fine the company, which the company takes out of your paycheck( cause they arn't in business to loose money) and then the State of Ohio sends you a fine/bill to your home address against your CDL--- thus you pay double in Ohio.

Pa you will pay the fine+ contribute to several county service funds like 911, rural amblance service, volenteer fire department, etc----all right there on the ticket before the grand total- and you don't have a choice.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Do they look up trucks on their number and pull over those who have been fined or cited in the past for a complete inspection
They definately do that. if a carrier has a lot of violations , they will keep an eye out for any truck bearing that name & want to check it out.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Do they only flash red lights if you are overweight?
no, but a good way to avoid getting pulled onto the main scale after going over the gross scale is to make sure you leave that 100' space between you and the guy ahead of you. that allows it time to reset. they get a little pissy when you don't and might make you come in even when you're empty. :wink:
Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

When this one guy I know bounces from water to water in 3 days, he tends to get a lot of red lights :wink:

Mayflower used to have a bad DOT rating up until last year, so those guys got hassled a lot.

When me and Teal95KW were doing a cannonball run from the west we both got called in at the MO scale in Joplin. Me (United) rolled through, but they stopped Teal (Atlas). Prior to me and Teal getting in the scale lane, we blew the doors off a North American truck with a tailgate (a no-no in MO) and the made Teal stop his azz end at the scale window thinking it was him. I'm guessing there is a camera there before the scale lane.

I try to do 5mph under the SL when I go through the prepass as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Nothing happens to me. When I get the red light I use my super secret cell phone to call a U.S. Marshall and I usually get let go. DOT cop ain't got nothing on a U.S. Marshall
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

The biggest factor for getting "pulled" into an inspection, is a company's ISS rating with the DOT. Ig your company has an ISS rating of say 79, and your truck looks like a piece of crap as it rolls across the scale...you can figure on an inspection. If that ISS score is 98, and your truck loks like it is brand new...you can figure on an inspection.

If your driving an older truck that is clean and looks well kept, and your ISS score is 34...your going to get the green light and a "Hi" sign.

Now learn what ISS means !!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Old 07-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Board Regular

" . . what happens if you get the red light and have to pull into the weigh station . . ?"

Most likely, you will slowly roll across the scale and be on your merry way.

It's been 494 or 495 days (didn't we just have a leap year?) since I've been invited inside a scale house.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

These are the reasons they give you a red light on the prepass. When I got my own prepass the first weigh station I came upon gave me a red light but then then they sent me through the bypass lane. I logged into my account to see wtf was up and it was because of a lane straddle. Apparently I wasn't perfectly in the lane. It also tell me the weight on my account and sometimes those weigh in motion scales can be really inaccurate. 8) 8)

Pull in Reason Codes:

Lane Straddle – The vehicle was in-between the lines.

ICN – The site was not able to communicate the signal with the device during the bypass transaction.

100% Pull-In – The site turned the weigh station to a 100% pull-in so all trucks must pull-in

Random Pull-in – This comes from the Random pull-in rate

VCRHazmat – The Vehicle was pulled in for Hazmat

VCRSafety – The Vehicle was pulled in for Safety

VCRAnts – The Vehicle was pulled in for Ants (This should only apply to AZ)

VCROther - Some other random pull-in rate was applied

Gross Weight – The Vehicles Gross registered weight during the weigh in motion was greater than the Vehicle’s declared weight

Axle Weight – The weight on the Vehicle’s axles registered during the bypass transactions exceeded the allowable axle weight.

Tandem Weight – The tandem weight of the Vehicle registered during the bypass transaction exceeded the allowable tandem weight

Steering Axle Weight – The Steering axle Weight of the vehicle registered during the bypass transaction exceeded the allowable Steering axle weight

Bridge Formula –The distribution of weight between the vehicle’s axles is not in compliance with the site’s bridge formula requirements.

Preverif – One or more of the vehicle’s credentials has not been verified by the State.

mcReg – The vehicle’s registration is in an invalid status or does not have the respective jurisdiction state (according to the verification process)

vehReg – The vehicle is in an invalid status (as verified by the State).

mcFut - The vehicle’s IFTA is in an invalid status or the vehicle does not have an IFTA and it is required.

mcHazmat – The vehicles Hazmat credential is in an invalid status (according to the verification process).For Virginia only: If the carrier is flagged as a Hazmat, Hazwaste, or Flammable Liquid Tanker hauler and the site is currently screening for Hazmat the vehicle will be pulled in.

mcTax – The vehicle’s NM Tax credential is in an invalid status (as verified by the State) or the vehicle is missing the required NM Tax credential.

Safety – The vehicles safety pull-in rate is 100% so the vehicle was pulled in for safety.

Account – The Carrier’s account status is in an invalid/inactive account status.

Unbalanced Load – Typically used for liquid tankers where the cargo is only partially full and the liquid is moving unevenly over the scale.

Overheight – The height of the Vehicle surpasses the maximum allowable height for the state.

Overweight – The weight of the Vehicle surpasses the maximum allowable weight for the state.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, how about some practical advise:

1) don't roll down the hi-way with missing mudflaps or flat tires or lights burnt out----- these little things are easy ways to get flagged for inspection- including your log book + med certificate.

2) keep your truck clean and your dash un-cluttered; dirty trucks get inspected more often than clean one's-- they figure you've been running so hard- you probably don't take time for maintence or to catch up the comic book.

3) When you roll into the scale house; STOP before you roll onto their scale- if you run up on it and slam on the brakes-- you can damage it's calibration-- and they will get very pissed at you--- you'll get to come around back and do an inspection just for spite.

4) turn off the radio, cb, turn off the headlights(unless there's a sign that actually instructs you to turn them on), roll down your window so you can
hear their instructions. and watch the lights.

5) If they instruct you to "pull around back and bring in your -"paperwork" or "bills" or "permit book" or any combination of these--- without specifically asking for YOUR LOG BOOK. DON't dig any holes deeper for yourself. You can always go back to the rig for it......take them just what they ask for --- no more , no less.

If someone-- is standing out there with a mechanic's creeper and flags you to park. Don't undo your seat belt until he steps up to your door, make him aware you're wearing it--- or ask him first if it's ok to release it.

I made the above mistake once pulling into a Arkansas scale- after being flagged to park for an inspection. I released my belt, so I could lean forward and grab my log book off the dash(it had slid too far over to reach easy)
when he came to the door and OPENED IT-- himself-- first thing he asked is Why arn't you wearing your seat belt? I almost got nailed right there.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I got stopped for the wonderful California Bridge Law at the 3d California scale house I had gone through. First two said nothing..

Ya never know where or when they will look up and say hey to ya....