User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mackman the COOLIE

Hey guys I dont know WTF to do. I like my dump truck job but I am off again today cuz of alittle bit of rain. These rain days kill me. Since i get OT over 40/hr looks like I wont be getting any this week. I will be working for stright time like the coolies do.

I called around today about a couple local tank jobs. No one is hiring and if they are it is all night/weekend work. I dont do weekends. I dont know what to do. I might give old PE Kramme a call. I saw they had a AD in the sunday paperthat said repeating round trips of 1-4 days.
If it leaves on a monday and I can be back by thursday and still make atlest 1k a week I might think about it. I dunno i will think of something i always do.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Mack

You're just bored. Boredom if it goes unchecked or managed can lead to all kinds of problems that would otherwise be avoided.

Get yourself a good hobby mate.

Try volunteering your time,
Local volunteer fire stations can almost always use help.
Its wild fire season get trained.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I called Kramme up to see what they had to say. .40cpm loaded and 38cpm empty. 4days out and if i still have hours 1 local run. Make around 1,000-1,200 a week. I guess that ain't to bad for a OTR driver with No OTR exp. But the azzkicker of the whole thing is I will leave Monday or Tuesday and get back in Friday or Saturday.

They are teamsters so i would have to buy into the teamsters at 250bucks and pay 35/month union dues. I told them about my DAC that Venezia might have put on it how i left with no notice. He said that ain't going to be a problem. I am not going to do anything just yet. I am going to do some more looking and talk to my boss. If he has some OT coming up that i don't know about i will stay. But this 38k-40k a year isn't cutting it for me anymore.

Trukrswyfe you are right i do have to much time on my hands. I should be working making OT but im not that is the problem.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Go find something.
Those bills aint gonna stop comming in when it rains but the work will and thats not a good combination.

I remember you saying that it's tough to get into an LTL outfit in your area, but have you tried lately? There's gotta be something good out there you can grab up and be able to call "home".

I know it's probably a good hour or so north of you but Pitt Ohio has a terminal right on Rt.309 just south of I-78. I know around here, their drivers start at $21+ an hour.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Jimbpard
It is kinda hard to get in with LTL in my area. But it can be done. But i cant afford to work the docks and only get 30/hrs a week. I will be making some more phone calls to see what other companys are paying and what is open. Pitt Ohio is more then 1he from me maybe 1 1/2 hrs. Im not tryin to drive that far for work everyday. Thanks for the input i will think of something and keep you all up to date.

When i talk to my boss 2marrow i just hope he tells me we got a couple big jobs coming up and i dont have to go any where. Cuz next month will be my 1 year with him. So i get a week vac.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I also talked to the guy at Kramme about loading and unloading pay. He said 16/hr which starts right away. He also said it takes around 2.5hrs to unload the tank.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't know how things are going to be up your way this winter but I have a pretty good idea what things are gonna be like around my way. This might be a really good time to get outta the dump truck business for a few years then you can always return as an O/O. It is also kinda of scary to think you are taking "rain days" at all this time of year. You might be caught up with a one trick pony and that certainly will not bode well with the current financial situation all construction is in and going into worse this winter.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
I also talked to the guy at Kramme about loading and unloading pay. He said 16/hr which starts right away. He also said it takes around 2.5hrs to unload the tank.
You should have informed the guy at Kramme that the OTR sages over at CAD keep beating it in to your head that it is acceptable to work for free.

I can't understand why the 16/hr would start right away? The worn mantra of the OTR coolie carrier apologist hobo dictates that 2 hours of your life must be donated before any compensation is due. (they don't even get that most of the time, but we won't tell anyone Mack)
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

So there you are slamming poor OTR drivers and now your going to be possibly forced into becoming one again?

Im sure you good buddies CFM or belpre122 will find you a high paying local job in about 10 minutes of you posting this notice.

I wouldnt worry about it at all.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper
So there you are slamming poor OTR drivers and now your going to be possibly forced into becoming one again?
I never went OTR to begin with.

I am hoping i dont have to go OTR. Like i said i am going to give it a couple weeks see what else is out there. I will be talking to my boss 2marrow see what he has to tell me. But if i do go OTR i will not be sticking up for it like some of these fools do. It will only be a job to me and not a lifestyle.