User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice for drivers (and 4 wheelers)

I've been meaning to post this for a while. Ive been driving 3+ years on the eastern side of the mississippi and done some things that would make the average driver cry. I'm far from the perfect trucker and many of you can out back me etc. But im very good at driving a truck. Ive seen a lot of stupidity on the road from steering wheel holders as well as 4 wheelers and i thought id make some suggestions. If it applies to you then perhaps consider it rather than ranting. If not then it doesnt. I dotn know about you but i learn every day and frankly am glad when i finally overcome my ego and recognise ways i could be better.

4wheeler:

1. DONT slam on the brakes in front of me. Ever. Why is this confusing?
2. DONT sit beside my truck because you're scared. Sitting beside my rear wheels is the most dangerous place on earth you could be. Yet you sit back and to the left of my truck waiting to get the guts to pass then sit on my tandems.. showing your not scared? I would NEVER sit by a truck. Ever. A wind in Il can move the trailer 5 feet in am millisecond. I'll feel guilty when i see your relatives mourning the soup in yoru coffin.
3. FOG LIGHTS ARE FOR FOG! They dont make you look cool. They make you look like an egotistical idiot who doesnt care that he's blinding the crap out of truckers.
4. Cut your high beams OFF if you can see headlights. If im blind i cannot NOT run over your a**.
5. If a truck is turning at an intersection and stops because he cant get around you.. do not pull up closer! If you're under the impression i'll back up or move your'e wrong. Feel free to call the police as they'll come tell you to move and force the other idiots to move as well.
6. Dont try the road rage thing. My truck is 70 feet long, weighs up to 80k pounds and i'll win every time whether i like it or not. And if you force me into a choice between you, me, and the family in another car you'll lose. The police probably wont give me a ticket either btw.
7. Shooting birds etc is fine. We DO make mistakes though so you know you make many many many times as many. We're sorry if we do as i assume you are too. But if you want to hop around a truck, slam on yoru brakes etc one of several things is going to happen. A: i'm going to call the troopers and they WILL pull you.
b: You're going to go too far, get yourself killed and cost me 2 hours while the trooper takes my statement then sends me on.
c: You very well find you messed with the wrong guy and that he follows you to your next stop and beats you to a pulp. You think fistfights scare a guy who just pulled 80,000 pounds down a 7% grade on ice? Think again.

Truckers:

The hammer lane is for FAST trucks that are PASSING. Yes you can do 65 and the other guy can do 64. That doesnt impress those of us with trucks that actually move.
Quit whining/complaining/criticising. Nobody cares. Ya you're supertrucker and the worlds mean to you. Grow up.
We're all in this together. The one true mark of experienced drivers is that we cooperate with each other and with 4 wheelers. So yes that guy letting out a bunch of trucks/4wheelers may annoy you but he's -avoiding- a traffic jam while your need to "punish" people you dont know causes them.
CUT YOUR FRICKIN FOG LIGHTS OFF. You look like an idiot and you're p*ssing us off.
USE your CRUISE CONTROL. Why is it so hard to do this? You doing 55 one minute and 65 the next is ANNOYING and makes me want to strangle you. How hard is it to hit a button? BTW if you were zoning and notice you're doing 55 or 60 and everyones passing you? DONT HAMMER DOWN! Let everyone pass you. It was your fault and you're probably going to do it again. There is little more annoying than a guy who keeps dropping to 50 til you start to pass him then suddenly he's mario andretti doing 72!

CALM DOWN and be positive. You're making your day worse. By screaming on the cb, driving like a jerk you're not making your day better. Ya you got screwed. Ya that driver did something stupid. Let it go. You're going to do something annoying and stupid today i guarantee it. And just maybe if you just give the guy who screwed up a break and forgiveness someone will do the same for you. We're all in this together.

PS If you have Swift, Werner, JB Hunt (company), Prime etc on the side of yoru truck there is never EVER a reason for you to be in the hammer lane.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quit whining/complaining/criticising. Nobody cares. Ya you're supertrucker and the worlds mean to you. Grow up.
Perhaps you could take your own advice under consideration...

I'm in a 64mph truck. I pass slower trucks all day long in the mountains. So, yes, there IS a reason for me to be in the passing lane.

Fog lights: The new style Volvo headlights are great - if you're running the high-beams. You pretty much HAVE to run the fog lights on them in order to see.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Board Regular

Well, I do agree with the vast majority of what you said, but I do have a problem with the way you put things. If that post was about "advice" you probably should NOT have been so damn demeaning to everyone who doesn't drive the way YOU drive.

Might work a bit better if rephrased... :roll:

But good points none the less!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Yup...you made some good points. A little direct but good non the less.
Until the last one:
Quote:
PS If you have Swift, Werner, JB Hunt (company), Prime etc on the side of yoru truck there is never EVER a reason for you to be in the hammer lane.
And...that is where I lost alot of respect for whatever it is you may say.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Advice for drivers (and 4 wheelers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid
I've been meaning to post this for a while. Ive been driving 3+ years on the eastern side of the mississippi and done some things that would make the average driver cry. I'm far from the perfect trucker and many of you can out back me etc. But im very good at driving a truck. Ive seen a lot of stupidity on the road from steering wheel holders as well as 4 wheelers and i thought id make some suggestions. If it applies to you then perhaps consider it rather than ranting. If not then it doesnt. I dotn know about you but i learn every day and frankly am glad when i finally overcome my ego and recognise ways i could be better.

4wheeler:

Truckers:

So who died and left you boss again?

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Yup...you made some good points. A little direct but good non the less.
Until the last one:
Quote:
And...that is where I lost alot of respect for whatever it is you may say.
I agree with Drew, that last statement was completely out of line. Truck drivers have to get their state somewhere and not all the drivers for the big carriers are bad drivers. You got local drivers and ltl/union drivers who make mistakes and can't drive themselves. It really ticks me off when someone comes on here and knock down the otr carriers without all their facts straight! No matter if your otr, local, or union you will have people in those parts of the industry who can and will make mistakes!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Board Regular

Hmmm

Not one comment on tailgating? The faster I see a big truck run the more I see said truck run too close to other vehicles.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
There, there, there, little fella. It's OK, now. Which one did you get fired from?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ive been driving 3+ years on the eastern side of the mississippi and done some things that would make the average driver cry.
Like what? :roll:
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Board Regular
Default Hmm

I expected quite a few whiney comments specifically from those with a guilty conscience..

As to where hmm.. how's 501 to big island va. SR64 west from hendersonvile, nc to franklin, nc to name a few. BTW the cop on sr64 was so impressed he said if i could make it across that road without wrecking i deserved a free pass.

As to being too blunt and obnoxious.. well ya very true.

And to joebob-swifty: never been fired anywhere in my life bubba. Too close to home eh..