LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: No Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Concur with Repete. The instructors won't have to unlearn you of bad habits. I doubt they'll teach you to "float" gears as most entry level companies don't want to see new hires doing that during road tests. My personal vehicle has an auto, but what messes me up is not having the forward right spot mirror on my pick-em up truck. BOL

my problem is when I roll down an off ramp in my pick up and expect the jake to kick in :shock: oh-oh no jake! That and I seem to run out of gears in the p/u :lol:
Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Tonight's edition of "fix that post".

Heh Heh. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, someone actually told me it was better that I didn't know how to drive a manual because big rigs are much different then a regular stick. I didn't think that could be true but i'm glad it turns out it was, it makes me feel a little better going in.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I drove standard shift before I acquired my CDL. The ability to shift a 4wheelers transmission may actually have been a hindrance to learning the trucks shifting. The only aid knowing how to drive a standard was understanding the application of a clutch, and then only to get the vehicle in motion, and that is still a very minor comparison. Other than that everything else is different.
Ive also found (as others will attest). That after learning the truck and spending the majority of the time driving the truck. The switch to your 4wheeler (with standard shift), takes some getting used to, and you will tend to try and shift your 4wheel like the truck, and it just dont work the same.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
I drove standard shift before I acquired my CDL. The ability to shift a 4wheelers transmission may actually have been a hindrance to learning the trucks shifting. The only aid knowing how to drive a standard was understanding the application of a clutch, and then only to get the vehicle in motion, and that is still a very minor comparison. Other than that everything else is different.
Ive also found (as others will attest). That after learning the truck and spending the majority of the time driving the truck. The switch to your 4wheeler (with standard shift), takes some getting used to, and you will tend to try and shift your 4wheel like the truck, and it just dont work the same.
Yeah not that long ago I had to drive a stickshift 4 wheeler, first time I ever did, and it didn't like trying to be shifted like a truck :P Although instead of a grinding noise it just stalls out.