Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I never drove a stick shift, will this be a problem? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/34530-i-never-drove-stick-shift-will-problem.html)

ZiggynCali 07-09-2008 09:10 AM

I never drove a stick shift, will this be a problem?

I'm starting class next week for my CDL, my question is I never really drove a stick shift before, I tryed once about 10 years ago I was able to drive around the block a couple times but never got fully used to it. Will it be harder not knowing how to drive a manual transmission, do you guys think I should have learned to drive a stick before going to school for my license. I guess I never learned since I never had a car with a stick shift, for those of you that already knew how to drive a manual was it easy making the transition to a tractor.

repete 07-09-2008 12:19 PM

nah, some people can switch back and forth and some can't. See with a big truck you don't push the clutch all the way down(you'll lern why in class) and you double clutch. The trainer will teach that too and some say it's easier to learn without already having "stick exp"
whenever I try driving my sons Honda I have a heck of a time I keep trying to float the gears and when that dosn't work then i double clutch, :lol: It makes it look like I can't drive :oops: BOL have fun and be safe and learn all you can

Sealord 07-09-2008 12:44 PM

No Stick

Concur with Repete. The instructors won't have to unlearn you of bad habits. I doubt they'll teach you to "float" gears as most entry level companies don't want to see new hires doing that during road tests. My personal vehicle has an auto, but what messes me up is not having the forward right spot mirror on my pick-em up truck. BOL

Colts Fan 07-09-2008 12:52 PM

I didn't have any experience with manual transmissions before I learned on the big rig. My instructor told me that I picked it up quicker than most people who had experience driving a stick shift in their 4 wheeler.

Just listen to your instructor and practice practice practice. BOL

Uturn2001 07-09-2008 01:14 PM

Pretty much ditto what everyone else has said. In all likelihood you will have an easier time learning compared to someone who has driven a car with a manual.

matcat 07-09-2008 01:39 PM

I never touched a stickshift before either before getting into a big rig, and I too was told I picked it up quicker then most everyone else. It really isn't that difficult, just something new to get used to.

DDCavi 07-09-2008 04:35 PM

I know in schol they wont have you float gears. Only one of my instructors even egged me on to skip shift. I know when I first started we went to an industrial park on a Saturday. No traffic at all so it was great. I would go up through 8-9 gears and right back down. The instructor said it was our time to learn. So I took full advantage of it.

JeffTheTerrible 07-09-2008 10:02 PM

I agree. I think you may actually be better off not having driven a standard shift in your own vehicle, because the transmissions you'll be working with in these trucks are quite different, and you don't "granny shift" them, the way you would with the synchronized transmissions you'd find in your own car.
Once you've got it down, you've got it, and it's not even an issue at that point. Don't worry - it may be a little rough at first, but it shouldn't take long to get the hang out it. Before long, you'll be shifting through a ten speed gearbox without so much as giving it a second thought. That is, until you decide to take on a local job, such as dump truck driving, where you shift as much in a day as you would in three or four days of OTR driving. Then you just glare resentfully at anyone on site who has an automatic in their truck.

Larry Heyns 07-10-2008 12:39 AM

The rule of thumb is that anyone with the coordination to drive a stick shift car can be taught to drive a tractor-trailer. I suppose that coordination can also be evident in sports, video games, etc. It is not a question of intelligence. Some college graduates are unable to keep an eye on the road while observing the tach and speedometer. If they miss a shift, they drift out of their lane while looking at the shift pattern.

Kranky 07-10-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
I agree. I think you may actually be better off not having driven a standard shift in your own vehicle, because the transmissions you'll be working with in these trucks are quite different, and you don't "granny shift" them, the way you would with the synchronized transmissions you'd find in your own car.
Once you've got it down, you've got it, and it's not even an issue at that point. Don't worry - it may be a little rough at first, but it shouldn't take long to get the hang out it. Before long, you'll be shifting through a ten speed gearbox without so much as giving it a second thought. That is, until you decide to take on a local job, such as dump truck driving, where you shift as much in a day as you would in three or four days of OTR driving. Then you'll just glare with disdain at anyone on site who has a P.O.S. automatic in their truck.

Tonight's edition of "fix that post".

Heh Heh. :lol: