User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba
Long live COSTCO or a Walmart Supercenter.
Your size button seemed broken, so I fixed it for you. You're welcome. :P
Old 07-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Board Regular

This lifestyle is a funny business. I mean this job is a . .

I'm in a hotel in Springfield, MO, so I don't have my logs but I was in Sidney, NE, a few days or weeks ago . .

. . and stayed at the Walmart SC. I bought a pillow and two pillow cases. I like the pillow. The pillow cases are so coarse, they've chafed through my skin and soft tissue, so now my ear canal and jaw are exposed. And I drools a bit. There was no thread count or grit on the package.

Am I at risk of infection? Is there a $4 prescription that will heal this condition?
Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I always liked the 49er in Kentucky. The food may not have been the best ever, and the facilities were certainly lacking, but I liked the people and the atmosphere there, and the fact that they offered free showers.
There were a few small truck stops I liked, but, to be honest, I really don't remember too many of them. I can recall that there was one I really liked somewhere along US 20, which I'd always stop at whenever I had a load which wasn't permitted on the toll road. And the truck stop at the bottom of the Colorado Gap near Vale was another one I really liked.
For the most part, though, I just prepared my own meals, which, considering my lack of culinary skills, typically consisted of nothing more than sandwiches, or perhaps some canned food on occasion. I made it a point to stop for a sit-down meal at least once a week, and, out of the large chains, TA would usually be my choice for this. There was one chain in Ontario, but the name of it eludes me. Driving along the Queen Elizabeth on my way from London or somewhere in that area as I was proceeding towards Buffalo, it was along there somewhere. They made a hamburger which I really liked.. it was topped with some sort of bacon, and it always suited me just fine. I really don't remember the name of the place, though. Maybe it was Husky, but I don't think it was.
Come to think of it, why the hell am I talking about truck stops? I eat at the home 20 every night now. Screw those places! :P
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash935
If you want a good "home cooked" style meal you need to find the smaller independent truckstops.
It is a shame the chain franchises are taking over. Most of the oasis rest areas are all McDonalds or some fast food franchise. I miss the days of the diner restaurant. It's a lot like what happened to milk shakes. I love a good milk shake. Diners waitress would scoop ice cream into the metal glass. They would add milk. As the blender spinned the outside of the metal glass would get icy. The waitress would then pour the milk shake from the metal glass into a real glass and leave the extra milk shake they made at the table. Then comes some real whipped cream on top. Compare that to McDonalds milkshake which is water and high fructose corn syrup and coloring and flavoring. McDonalds milkshake is everything except milk and ice cream.

There's a little cafe next to Allsups Truck stop on US 87 in Texline Texas,that makes that kind of shake or malt....$2.00......I just had one thursday night.....

versus...

I guess I should pack a ham sandwhich and stop looking for good home cooked meals.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I can't complain about truck stops. When I need a place to park and I don't have the time or energy to search for an alternative, a truck stop is a pretty good default.

As for truck stop quality and prices? What's the parking spot worth? What's the convenience worth? What's the truck specific engineering worth? If I deduct the value of the parking spot from the cost of anything I buy, pretty much every truck stop is a good value. The less I buy, the better the value.

I'm 100% reimbursed for showers, even if I use one just to avoid a filthy mensroom. I rarely buy packaged food unless my onboard inventory is low and it's a brand I know and trust. Hot food is always a crapshoot (literally and figuratively), breakfast is the safest bet . . but not the buffet. I love coffee and I have no idea why. On the rare days I can't get it, I don't really miss it but if I'm near a Pilot, I'll run over Grandma to get it.

The worst thing about an F-ing J is the hot (blech) food case. I can't fuel at a J, so whatever I'm there for, I'm trying to make it quick and the one thing that's sure to slow me down is the freakin' cashier trying to sell that crap to everyone in line.

I bought an aircard for my laptop. I should have done it long ago. $150 for the card and $60/month for the service . . I no longer need a truck stop to get online to search for things I don't want to buy at a truck stop. Long live COSTCO or a Walmart Supercenter.

Breakfast buffet at FJ is $7.00......They'll make you fresh eggs from the kitchen if you don't want the scrambled from the horse trough......Same with pancakes and toast....I try to get a booth near the coffee station so I can get my own refills......Self service=no tip....
Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA
$9.09 for the buffet breakfast at FJ. Plus tip and you gotta beg for coffee.
$5.99 at a restuarant buys a better meal, coffee refills and clean dishes.
$9 bucks is on the expensive side for breakfast. How much does an egg and toast cost? I've had breakfast at Dennys for $5 and the waitresses are good with refills. Denny's has good hash browns covered in gravy and they custom cook eggs to each order. I have a friend who loves sunny side up and runny so he can dip his toast in the egg yolks, and Denny's makes it right. Add bacon and sausage, and a plate of pancakes and it's a good start to the day. My only complaint is sometimes the amount of food is low. The pancakes are small. They only give 2 strips of bacon. But it's good.
For those of you that get to follow I-94 in WI, try stopping in at one of the "KWIK TRIP" truck stops, like at Tomah, WI, and enjoy the $3.99 breakfast buffet. Otherwise, you'll have to find some of the independant little "Mom and Pop" truck stops... Like WILDERNESS CROSSING, or ABBEYLAND TRUCK STOP, or "51 TRUCK STOP" in the central Wisconsin area. No, I won't say they are inexpensive anymore, but the food is actually prepared on-site.

Cheap meals became a thing of the past when fuel prices went up... Cost of delivery.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Long live COSTCO or a Walmart Supercenter.
Your size button seemed broken, so I fixed it for you. You're welcome. :P
As long as we have each others' back, it's all good Rev! :twisted: :lol:

Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Has anybody tried one of those big hot dog wrapped in dough things at a flying j? They look awful.
Ranks right up there with the "hot dog shaped Cheeseburger" rolling on the grill at Pilot. If you can get past the fact that it looks like a fresh turd, it is actually fairly tasty when smothered in about 1/2 gallon of ketchup.

I think that it may well be the Baby Ruth bar from the Caddyshack pool. Back to haunt us again.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Has anybody tried one of those big hot dog wrapped in dough things at a flying j? They look awful.
Ranks right up there with the "hot dog shaped Cheeseburger" rolling on the grill at Pilot. If you can get past the fact that it looks like a fresh turd, it is actually fairly tasty when smothered in about 1/2 gallon of ketchup.

I think that it may well be the Baby Ruth bar from the Caddyshack pool. Back to haunt us again.
They just don't look very tasty in the hot case. I have seen some drivers eating them but those guys just looked hungry.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The worst thing about an F-ing J is the hot (blech) food case. I can't fuel at a J, so whatever I'm there for, I'm trying to make it quick and the one thing that's sure to slow me down is the freakin' cashier trying to sell that crap to everyone in line.
Ever wonder how many of those guys you see retching over the guardrail, or
squatting between drive tires are recent victims of the Flying J "hot food case." I bet that a book could be started on the subject. Yuch!!!