User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some help in a bad way

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Coll. I am 40 years old female and I was born in North Africa but now I am in Houston Texas. I was at work last night and I was surfing the net and I came accross this truck driver forum and I read a lot of the postings and I found alot of them to be very interesting. I have been in a truck for about 15 years but in 2006 I took a break but not by choose, I was shipped over to Bagram, Afghanistian and I got back in 2007. Right now I am working local work and I hate it with a passion but I wanted to be close to my family.

Now, the reason I was surfing the net last night is because I was promoted to a position where when this company hire a new driver I will be the one that will be giving them the road test, the only problem is that this company I am with has never given any driver a road test before they hired them. So, anyway, long story short I am trying to come up with a form (like a check list) for the road test but I have looked at so many web sites and I have not been able to find any. I am trying to find a form like the DMV has or something like it with like a point system. Can anyone point me in the right direction to try to find one. If I can find a rough draft of one I will put one together myself but I am not sure what all I should have on the form.
If anyone can help me with this I would very much appreciate it.

I hope that each and everyone of you and your families have a blessed and wonderful New Year

Thx Coll

Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Wastehaulers had this posted online. http://wastehaulers.net/EmploymentApplication.pdf

The companies I hired on with all had similar forms made up for pre-hire. You are not a licensed Third Party Examiner, so I wouldn't even try to administer any timed and scored road test. If your driver passed that to receive his license, what you want to do is verify his skills according to your company vehicle. In other words, depending on your equipment and what you pull, or any product specific skills needed, that's what you want to test for.

New hires may be nervous, just like when they took their first road test. Try to ease their anticipation. I know even if someone is marking down something on a clipboard, I tend to think it's "bad for me" even when they are checking a satisfactory box. So communicate what you are doing, and asking of them.

You can get your States CDL manual at any DMV office. There is always a complete breakdown of knowledge and skills required on the inspection and road tests.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to CAD, Coll. J.J. Keller & Associates, Inc., has a Driver Qualifications File you can purchase either on line or at most major truck stops. It has a driver road test check list as part of the file. It is a generic form. You can also order them on line at www.jjkeller.com. Since you are in Houston you may check with the TA, Flying J or Pilot just east of you in Baytown. One of them should have the Driver Qualification File.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Board Icon

Yep! ...good one GMAN :thumbsup:
I forgot all about them.
I'm forgetful allot these days. Don't tell anybody. :block:

Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been getting a bit forgetful myself, lately.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post

And, what did you say was your name, young man??

First, you forget names, then you forget faces....... then, you forget to zipp'em, up.....
..............but lately, I've been forgetting to zipp'em DOWN!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEMALETANKERYANKER143 View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Coll. I am 40 years old female and I was born in North Africa but now I am in Houston Texas. I was at work last night and I was surfing the net and I came accross this truck driver forum and I read a lot of the postings and I found alot of them to be very interesting. I have been in a truck for about 15 years but in 2006 I took a break but not by choose, I was shipped over to Bagram, Afghanistian and I got back in 2007. Right now I am working local work and I hate it with a passion but I wanted to be close to my family.

Now, the reason I was surfing the net last night is because I was promoted to a position where when this company hire a new driver I will be the one that will be giving them the road test, the only problem is that this company I am with has never given any driver a road test before they hired them. So, anyway, long story short I am trying to come up with a form (like a check list) for the road test but I have looked at so many web sites and I have not been able to find any. I am trying to find a form like the DMV has or something like it with like a point system. Can anyone point me in the right direction to try to find one. If I can find a rough draft of one I will put one together myself but I am not sure what all I should have on the form.
If anyone can help me with this I would very much appreciate it.

I hope that each and everyone of you and your families have a blessed and wonderful New Year

Thx Coll

:smokin:

Going out to the truckstops is a good idea....but you can also download the forms you need for free...here...

Qualifications of Drivers Forms - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
:smokin:

Going out to the truckstops is a good idea....but you can also download the forms you need for free...here...

Qualifications of Drivers Forms - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
This is a good form. Short and easy. Just grade on a scale of 70 - 100 and tell the person what you are looking for and say they need a 70 to pass. Under that is a disqualification. Probaly wouldnt hurt to come up with some immediate disqualifications like running a curb, running a light/stop sign. Hitting something etc and tell the driver right at the start that if he/she does any of these things then they are disqualed.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may check both and see which will work best for you. In fact, you might check J.J. Keller's website and see if they have one you can check out on line. The nice thing about the Driver Qualification File that J.J. Keller has is that if you have everything that is needed for a driver's file including the file folder. I believe is saving where you can. If the downloadable one from the federal website works then you could save some money.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
This is a good form. Short and easy. Just grade on a scale of 70 - 100 and tell the person what you are looking for and say they need a 70 to pass. Under that is a disqualification. Probaly wouldnt hurt to come up with some immediate disqualifications like running a curb, running a light/stop sign. Hitting something etc and tell the driver right at the start that if he/she does any of these things then they are disqualed.
:thumbsup: Hitting a Jihadist, 100 bonus points. Congressman 10 points each. :block: