User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help, I had an accident 5 years ago and cannot get hired

I have not driven since November 2002 and am at a point where I realize that no job suits me better than driving, but cannot get hired. I have tried Swift, Schnieder, J.B. Hunt, U.S. Express, C.R. England, CRST, Prime, Mavrick, Melton, and even Driver solutions (USA Truck, PAM)

Mavrick says I need a year of OTR before I can be hired by them, others just don't respond or don't tell me why. Should I try O/O? Should I go to a CDL school for refresher training? Would someone then take me as if I where a new driver?

Does anyone know of a local company that will give me another chance in the Lancaster, York, or Harrisburg areas of PA?

Any help is much appreciated, even if it is not what I want to hear.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 AM

I'm not familiar with your area so my comments are more general.

5 years is a long time ago. Have you had any tickets since that accident? The company I work for demands a clean driving record for the past 3 years.

You have options. Are you willing to spend a year driving something other than a truck? What about a city bus? Or a cement truck? Or a delivery truck? Even if it's not exactly what you want to drive it will give you a year behind the wheel.

If the companies are not giving you a reason for not hiring, I would keep calling. Pick out one of the companies where you know the recruiter and get him to tell you the exact reason they won't offer you a job. Then work on that reason. If it is because your too expensive to insure I would offer to have a lower pay the first year or two to offset the insurance cost. There has to be a way in if you want it and are willing to make compromises.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Help, I had an accident 5 years ago and cannot get hired

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac130
I have not driven since November 2002
Unless this accident involved a fatality, or one hell of a lawsuit against the company you were driving for, I might venture a guess that this is the real setback you're facing.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Does anyone know of a local company that will give me another chance in the Lancaster, York, or Harrisburg areas of PA?
Try a couple of these companys

Wiker Paving - local Dump Truck
McMinns Asphat- Local dump truck or trailer job.
Kidnard - local and OTR trailer job.
H.R. Ewell- Local and OTR trailer job
Kleins Septic- Local honey Dipper.

There is a grain hauling place off of rt283 forget there name they got red trucks. it is something farms. Think it starts with a G.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Rookie
Default NO COOLIES!

Try Zimmerman Truck Lines in Mifflintown. I do know they need flat drivers.
I was of the road for 23 years and faced the same issue you have albiet without the accident history. I took a refresher course at AAA school in Harrisburg for $2500. Turned out the instructor was someone I teamed with 23 years ago at Lebarnold. We drank coffee and talked about old times. I took the test was was out on the road in 17 days.
Keep away from Schaffer/Crete whatever you do. Also there is a small flat company at the Stop 35 Truck stop in Mifflintown that has a rather loose hiring policy concerning accidents. Fetter(something). Brothers trucking in Middletown is another. Just to get a few miles/experience you could try D&H Dist. in Harrisburg as a local driver. One final try would be C. Bean Transport in Ark.
Best of luck to you.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Board Icon

I agree. I doubt the accident is what is holding you back. You're going to have to likely take a refresher course, and then you should see some doors opening up for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Have you considered asking some of the companies where you applied why they would not hire you? If it were me, I would want to talk to these people directly. At least you would know. After 5 years my guess is that it is the length of time out of the seat that is causing the most problems.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Quote:
I have not driven since November 2002
Unless this accident involved a fatality, or one hell of a lawsuit against the company you were driving for, I might venture a guess that this is the real setback you're facing.
This is correct Jeff, and it I did not say it because it is not an easy thing to bring up. I have explained what happened to a few companies that asked but it did not matter. They don't tell me if the reason is the Homicide by vehicle charge that is 5 years old or the fact that I have not driven since. If I had been more focused on things around me and the other driver had been paying attention (it is a shame they did not see my 70ft orange truck skidding up to and thru the intersection) none of this would have happened.

I almost believe the only way in for me is owning my own truck and finding my own shippers. I don't think they will not ask about my past . I was quoted $10,000 by GEICO Commercial for a one year liability policy. Is that high? THe only other way is for me to apply for a state pardon, which is a long drawn out process. I of course would have to say the reason I need this is because it is difficult to get any kind of job. I have tried to work at many non-trucking places and have had no luck. I assume either my criminal report or the economy is to blame.

It is frustrating when no one will help me out. I am not the kind of person that gets into trouble with the law. I am 27 and have had maybe 3 traffic tickets in my life, all for stupid things when I was younger. My license was suspended for 3 years and I still drove without getting caught. I have never done anything stupid i a commercial vehicle, I just believe I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. When I was inthe Army, I drove day cabs with flat-beads in Germany for 2.5 years and never had a problem. I was an instructor and won our brigade truck rodeo. I know I can drive, I just cannot be trusted.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Board Member

With not driving since 11/2002 a refresher course will not be of much good. A full CDL course is the step you are looking at. There is a PTDI certified school, YORK COUNTY SCHOOL OF TECH there in York, PA that would be a good start. You haven't driven in over 5 years and therefore are classified as a Student.

Being involved in a fatality accident is enough to scare off any Safety Director right now. The liabiltiy issue is huge. Having a homicide by vehicle charge can also be interpreted as a felony and if it is those rules apply and having a felony in the last 5-10 years scares off even more people.

Personally, I seriously doubt that you will find an over the road company that will take you. There is a possibility of looking at an owner operator who has his own authority as being your best bet. Otherwise, I would suggest if you have a serious love of trucking, look at other avenues involved with trucking such as recruiting, dispatching or truck mechanic.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle
With not driving since 11/2002 a refresher course will not be of much good. A full CDL course is the step you are looking at. There is a PTDI certified school, YORK COUNTY SCHOOL OF TECH there in York, PA that would be a good start. You haven't driven in over 5 years and therefore are classified as a Student.

Being involved in a fatality accident is enough to scare off any Safety Director right now. The liabiltiy issue is huge. Having a homicide by vehicle charge can also be interpreted as a felony and if it is those rules apply and having a felony in the last 5-10 years scares off even more people.

Personally, I seriously doubt that you will find an over the road company that will take you. There is a possibility of looking at an owner operator who has his own authority as being your best bet. Otherwise, I would suggest if you have a serious love of trucking, look at other avenues involved with trucking such as recruiting, dispatching or truck mechanic.

Good luck.
How can a driver get charged with homicide for an accident? A criminal charge makes it sound like the OP was deliberate or wreakless. If the OP can get a pardon I would work at it.

If the OP has not driven in 5 years the first thing he should do is get a regular license. My company won't train people for a CDL unless they have a clean driving record for 3 years. That requires having a normal license and not getting tickets.

OP, maybe the way into the field is to find a related job. Maybe a desiel mechanic working for a trucking company. Maybe an office job at a truck company. You will make contacts this way and maybe someone will be able to push you through CDL school and into a job. If it was me, I would not expect it to be a quick process. They will want to see you are reliable and a good worker, and they will want to see while you work for them you don't get into any trouble or tickets. You have a mark against your record and it will take time for the impact of it to lessen.

Maybe a recruiter here can give you better information. 5 years is a long time ago.