User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

DaveP's youtube post about cannibis and driving brought one thought to mind, all the years I used to smoke weed and drive before I got my cdl, I never once had an accident or even a close call. It seems to be society's judgement says cannabis is bad for you. So is drinking alcohol, but there's still many drivers getting in their cars drunk. In fact, I saw what a drunk May driver did the other day in his big rig after getting kicked out of the lounge at the truck stop and proceed to drive into the fuel station's 76 sign. Needless to say, he won't be driving legally again for awhile.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker
DaveP's youtube post about cannibis and driving brought one thought to mind, all the years I used to smoke weed and drive before I got my cdl, I never once had an accident or even a close call. It seems to be society's judgement says cannabis is bad for you. So is drinking alcohol, but there's still many drivers getting in their cars drunk. In fact, I saw what a drunk May driver did the other day in his big rig after getting kicked out of the lounge at the truck stop and proceed to drive into the fuel station's 76 sign. Needless to say, he won't be driving legally again for awhile.
It is illegal. Get caught once and you will lose your CDL. You will go to jail. There will be a large penalty. You will lose your job. You will have a record. You will have a harder time finding a new job.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Man sentanced to 43 years for DUI accident involving marijuana -

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/27/....ap/index.html

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- A Michigan man was sentenced to 43 years in prison Friday for driving the wrong way on an interstate and slamming his pickup into a minivan, killing a Maryland mother and four children who were returning home from a Christmas trip.

Michael Gagnon of Adrian, Michigan, had a blood-alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit and marijuana in his system, authorities said.

Lucas County Judge Linda Jennings called Gagnon a dangerous person. "You have a drinking problem and you don't even know it," she said.

Gagnon, 24, had pleaded no contest to five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and two counts of aggravated vehicular assault.

"In my mind and spirit, I will be serving a life sentence for the pain I've caused," Gagnon said Friday, reading from a handwritten statement in court.

He won't be eligible for release until he reaches his mid-60s.

Gagnon was drinking with family at a bar December 30 to celebrate the New Year when he went out for fast food and took a wrong turn onto Interstate 280 in Toledo, investigators said.

He drove about four miles in the wrong direction and just missed several other cars before his truck hit the minivan, filled with six children and a husband and wife who had spent Christmas with family in Michigan, authorities said.

The minivan was rounding a curve when the truck came directly at the family. Both drivers tried to avoid each other, but the crash ripped open one side of the van, hurtling some of the victims into the road and scattering toys, stuffed animals and bits of gift wrap.

Bethany Griffin, 36, of Parkville, Maryland, and three of her daughters -- Vadi Griffin, 2 months; Lacie Burkman, 7; and Haley Burkman, 10 -- died in the crash along with Jordan Griffin, 10, the daughter of Bethany Griffin's husband, Danny Griffin Jr., 36.

Danny Griffin, who was driving the van, was injured.

Griffin told the court that his life will never be the same and that he no longer comes home to a house filled with children and a smiling wife.

He said he misses helping the kids with their homework and tucking them into bed at night.

"I know my life isn't over, but a large part is missing," he said.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Default Re: what kind of drug test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartenDrvrCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
What sort of drug test do most companies give their applicants?
Urine or hair?

I'm not a driver yet but my doctor had me on clorazepate,it's a real mild valium for a nervous stomach problem that I have.
I already quit taking it because I don't know how long that stuff stays in your system.I just don't want any problems trying to get a job somewhere and I will also save my prescription bottle to prove I wasn't taking it illegally.
Usually urine tests are administered.And being that you took a water soluble (pill),it will go undetected after 3-5 days on a urine analysis.

As far as D.O.T. urine tests is the ONLY acceptable test. They do not accept any other test.

kc0iv
Maybe in pre employment situations,but I have known of instances where a blood test was administered in post-accident situations.In fact its a requirement for the FRA which is under the D.O.T
Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: what kind of drug test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122

Just thought I would bring everyone else up to date with his prior post regarding the same medication.

Just another person trying to beat a drug test.
I remember that one guy who came here claiming his wife gave him some brownies with pot in them. Pretty soon he showed his true colors, and was arguing for the legalization. They are all the same. :lol:
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Board Regular

Do I want to be out here with stoners? No.

Do I want to be out here with the "occasional" toker? Not really.

Then there was the guy who posted on the rules, etc. thread. He claimed to have been to Jamaica and to have done what every good Rastafarian does, came home and got tested 2 weeks later and got fired.

If his story is true, I have a problem with that. There are plenty of recreational substances we're supposed to stay away from. After 2 weeks, there probably aren't too many that are detectable. Just because weed is, I don't think that should be grounds for termination.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimba

Then there was the guy who posted on the rules, etc. thread. He claimed to have been to Jamaica and to have done what every good Rastafarian does, came home and got tested 2 weeks later and got fired.

If his story is true, I have a problem with that. There are plenty of recreational substances we're supposed to stay away from. After 2 weeks, there probably aren't too many that are detectable. Just because weed is, I don't think that should be grounds for termination.
CDL holders are held to a higher standard, both on the road and off. And rightfully so.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Board Regular

Higher standard, Rev? Let me ponder that for awhile . .
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Breaking the law is the issue. It does not matter when it is detected.

Drugs are addicting substances. Just because someone is able to use them only when home this year, does not mean that next year they won't be using while driving. It is a progressive problem.

You do know there are companies firing people for smoking cigarettes. It increases the health insurance cost. And the courts ruled that is legal to do.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Higher standard, Rev? Let me ponder that for awhile . .
I didn't say that all drivers met that higher standard. Just that there is already one in place. I wish the standard were tougher.