User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
FYI, that parking at an angle does nothing to protect the officer from an incoming vehicle if it is traveling fast enough. Just watch some of the police videos on TruTV and you will see what I mean.
Mr. Ford95, Sorry you are wrong. They only show the good (Bad) stuff on TruTv. Before I joined the Dark Side (trucking) I was a trooper. Always trained to angle the squad to deflect "oncoming" Made a stop as per the book and got hit in the rear by a P/U doing about 80, walked away. Made a stop and the person stopped real quick on the shoulder so had to stop pararlelle, got hit in the back by a Crown Victoria. Had two stainless steel knees but now they replaced them with some kinda Teflon stuff !! If I had angled the squad I would have walked away !!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Board Regular

i've had a cop pull me over in a car, and i led him into a parking lot to get us off the travelled part of the road. he was all "why did you pull in here?" Honestly, i try to do whatever i can to minimize the danger and inconvenience in a traffic stop, but i'm always reluctant to make the cop think i'm disregarding his orders.

i was running with another driver, and there was a cop in the middle of the road, and some construction guys on the side of the road. so we slow down, and the cop starts waving and shit. well, we pull into a truck stop 100 feet away cuz he needed fuel. well, the cop jumps in his car and follows him in with the lights on. so he stops, i pull in, and the cop jumps up on his running board and starts talking at him. turns out he wanted to perform an inspection, right on the fscking road. he was all p/o'd that the driver didn't stop his placarded tanker right in the middle of the road.

sorry, but if that's me, i don't care what that cop thinks, he can wait to find a safe place to perform his precious inspection. talk about sending mixed signals.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Board Icon

harley, no it was not a civilian dispatcher, they patched me thru to a corporal and I was talking to him when the call was made on the radio. I was on the phone still and could hear the back and forth between them.

Eagle, I respect what your saying but total BS on angling a vehicle. Why do you think more and more cops are now going to the passenger side of a vehicle? If angling worked so well then they would stay to the drivers side. My wife's neighbor in Ohio is a Statie, he angles the car but he refuses to go to the drivers side because in his words, "That angling has never worked like we were told it would. I stay to the passenger side so I can have a clear path to dive out of the way if a car comes careening my way. Standing on the drivers side, your stuck and have to put all your faith into that cruiser somehow shielding you because ain't nowhere to dive out of the way." Ohio is one of the more notorious states for cops being hit. Believe what you want but in my opinion angling the car doesn't do a thing, it is about perception, it puts the cop more at ease to make the stop vs having to worry about being sideswiped if they know the car is angled out.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Board Regular

here in Missouri we had so many Troopers getting run over the old traffic stop postion,they had go to the angle postion.Now here it is a law that if you can move over when a trooper is a on stop a it would be a good idea,if not they can charge you with a Felony for not moving over.If you can't move then slow down when you pass.And don't worry it is written into law.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
here in Missouri we had so many Troopers getting run over the old traffic stop postion,they had go to the angle postion.Now here it is a law that if you can move over when a trooper is a on stop a it would be a good idea,if not they can charge you with a Felony for not moving over.If you can't move then slow down when you pass.And don't worry it is written into law.
In Wisconsin, you also need to move one lane over if you can (slow down when you can't) when a trooper is talking with someone on the side-of-the road. It's the law.

I see about a 50/50 mix of troopers using / not using the angle position. I do see more troopers talking to people on the passenger-side of their vehicle.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Board Regular

Dont know how may times I have moved over to the left lane when I see an emergency vehicle on the side and some yo-yo 4 wheeler will then pass on the right, Have wondered if I just straddled the lanes and prevented moron behind me from passing on the right(until I am past the traffic stop) if that might not create a safer situation preventing yo-yo from passing but I am sure that would be considered an improper lane change. Times like that I sure miss the no passing on the right like they have on the Autobahn.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Rookie

One of my friends who works for the same company as I do, pulled out of Rhome and Hass in Houston loaded with monomers. He turned the corner and got on the service road, looks back to see the local yocal trying to pull him over on the 55 mph service road. My friend hits his flashers and dialed 911 told the dispatch he didnt recognize the type cop trying to pull him over and he was afraid to pull over (hijack the load)
within minutes he had 3 state troopers there pulling over the local cop. My buddy kept driving till he found a safe place to get off the road, The state troopers followed with the local cop who eventually apologized for trying to pull over a placarded load in traffic. My buddy is a little nuts but I think I would have kept driving too, some places are just not safe to stop...wonderman
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Why ask here?
Next time you see a cop ask him/her!
"Are Cops dumb, or is it just me?" :lol:
Let us know what they say!! :wink:
Old 06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Board Regular

Ten bucks says is begins something like this "Step out of the vehicle please."
Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird
Why ask here?
Next time you see a cop ask him/her!
"Are Cops dumb, or is it just me?" :lol:
Let us know what they say!! :wink:
As a matter of fact, I did do so, since I have a cop who lives next door to me. He failed to understand what the big deal was, in pulling cars over on a downhill or an uphill stretch. He believes that we can quite easily slow down and move over !!