Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by classB
I want to live a long life and not die early of stress because the company is pushing drivers to cut corners, treating drivers like livestock, and not giving good benefits.
ClassB. What you have described above are textbook coolie carrier operations. Sadly, that is just a small sampling. Most people would simply not believe and/or not be able to comprehend what these companies put these drivers through. It only gets worse. Much worse. Despicable comes to mind. Shameful...................

Much of the problems that drivers have with their carrier are brought on by the drivers themselves. I didn't say "ALL" but much of the problems I hear drivers complain about could be alleviated by the driver. All too often a driver will leave a carrier on a whim because he didn't get his way about something. Rather than trying to work through a problem he will leave.

By the way, you keep talking about driver pay being too low. I would be interested in knowing what you think a carrier should pay you.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
According to the ATA there is a driver shortage.
I just did a search, and every article about the ATA claiming a driver shortage was from 2005. Do you have access to some more recent documents where they are claiming a shortage?

Quote:
ALL carriers have a more than desired turnover rate.
My turnover rate is 0. I have, however, considered firing myself.

Quote:
There are some ways in which you can get driver pay up. Stick with your carrier for at least a year or two. That will reduce their turnover costs and give you an opportunity to hone your skills. Every time you change jobs you will lose 1-2 weeks income or more. Don't steal from your company. This is wide spread in the industry. Drivers steal fuel, accessories and equipment from their carriers. This also costs carriers money.
Just like the ghetto attracts a certain type of person to live there, OTR trucking attracts a certain type of person to do the job. If the industry wants to change that, they need to change the working environment and make the job harder to get into. If every Tom, Dick, and Harry couldn't just walk in off the street into a training company, then those companies wouldn't have to deal with those type of people anymore. They would, however, have to raise the working environment and compensation package to attract the elite group they are striving to get. That isn't likely to happen, though, because it would cost the carriers more money than they pay out due to turnover.

Quote:
When drivers fail to do their job, abandon their equipment, steal fuel or other items from the company they are lowering YOUR pay. These carriers must offset these costs in some manner.
All the problems you listed though are caused by the carriers. If a carrier is actively seeking the type of person who would steal, fail to do their job, abandon their equipement, and quit, they certainly can't whine and complain that those things happen.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

Just like the ghetto attracts a certain type of person to live there, OTR trucking attracts a certain type of person to do the job. If the industry wants to change that, they need to change the working environment and make the job harder to get into. If every Tom, Dick, and Harry couldn't just walk in off the street into a training company, then those companies wouldn't have to deal with those type of people anymore. They would, however, have to raise the working environment and compensation package to attract the elite group they are striving to get. That isn't likely to happen, though, because it would cost the carriers more money than they pay out due to turnover.

Quote:
When drivers fail to do their job, abandon their equipment, steal fuel or other items from the company they are lowering YOUR pay. These carriers must offset these costs in some manner.
All the problems you listed though are caused by the carriers. If a carrier is actively seeking the type of person who would steal, fail to do their job, abandon their equipement, and quit, they certainly can't whine and complain that those things happen.
Rev you basically said what I was thinking and wouldnt say because I didnt want to offend anyone. :lol:
They set the wages where they can get people just below what they really need to do the job properly.
You get what you pay for.
Obviously this doesnt apply to all drivers and certainly no one on CAD!

(I debated a long time before hitting the submit button on this one!)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
ALL carriers have a more than desired turnover rate.
How can you say that GMAN after I just told you that my carrier had a 0% turnover rate? LeBron advised that his company added a couple of drivers. Want to try again? Let me do it for you.

ALL coolie carriers have a more than desired turnover rate.

That's better.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
By the way, you keep talking about driver pay being too low. I would be interested in knowing what you think a carrier should pay you.
It would never happen but for me to do OTR i would have to make atlest 85,000. For all the hours and time you put in.

When i worked on tug boats (for 2 months) Off the street if i stuck with it i would make around 45k 1st year to work 6 months out of the year. 7 days on/ 7 days off. After so many hours at sea they bump you up to a able seaman and you can make 55k-60k for the samething. All food was paid for by the tugboat. It didnt cost you a dime. Only worked 12hrs a day. About 6 of them where in the boat looking at TV.

A captain made over 100k for 6 months. So to work all year long at OTR coolie trucking i would need atlest 85k.

I know Coolie OTR trucking and Tugboats are two diff. things but they both make you be away from home.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
It would never happen but for me to do OTR i would have to make atlest 85,000. For all the hours and time you put in.

When i worked on tug boats (for 2 months) Off the street if i stuck with it i would make around 45k 1st year to work 6 months out of the year. 7 days on/ 7 days off. After so many hours at sea they bump you up to a able seaman and you can make 55k-60k for the samething. All food was paid for by the tugboat. It didnt cost you a dime. Only worked 12hrs a day. About 6 of them where in the boat looking at TV.

A captain made over 100k for 6 months. So to work all year long at OTR coolie trucking i would need atlest 85k.

I know Coolie OTR trucking and Tugboats are two diff. things but they both make you be away from home.
Correct Mackman. How anyone could ever disagree with you is way beyond me!

I have 2 brothers that are towboat captains on the Ohio River. They both earn in the area of $100,000 annually. 6 months a year. They wouldn't have it any other way. Great benefits, retirement etc.

Compare that to the coolie carrier, hobo servant. Home a couple of days a year. Treated like garbage. Minimal benefits. Work 80-100, log 70, paid for 50. Scammed for CPM pay. Sleep in a box for no money, etc.

I don't know why they do it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't know of any fast food company where you can make $50,000/yr. Most fast food managers don't make that much money.
lets do some numbers Gman. I say min wage is around 7.50/hr. OT after 40.

7.50x40= $296.00
11.25x30= $337.00

296+337= $633.00 a week gross.

633 x 52 weeks = 32,916

So a min wage fast food worker that puts in the same hours as a coolie OTR driver will gross 32,916.

I think my numbers are right but if they are not i know the all mighty REV will be by to let me know about it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Much of the problems that drivers have with their carrier are brought on by the drivers themselves.
That has to be one of the most irresponsible, biased and uninformed statements that I have ever seen on CAD.

GMAN, there is really no need for me to question your credibility. You are handling that quite well for yourself.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Drivers are professionals and should be paid enough to live a comfortable life. A professional driver is not just another person on the road. We are responsible for our saftey, the saftey of everyone around us, and the cargo or people transported.

A person flipping hamburgers at McDonalds isn't responsible for a million dollars in cargo.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
I don't know of any fast food company where you can make $50,000/yr. Most fast food managers don't make that much money.
lets do some numbers Gman. I say min wage is around 7.50/hr. OT after 40.

7.50x40= $296.00
11.25x30= $337.00

296+337= $633.00 a week gross.

633 x 52 weeks = 32,916

So a min wage fast food worker that puts in the same hours as a coolie OTR driver will gross 32,916.

I think my numbers are right but if they are not i know the all mighty REV will be by to let me know about it.
Very good point.Sad point,but true none the less.