Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
So now you want a carrier to pay you to sleep? :roll:

That'd be a big negatory G.

I do, however, expect to be appropriately compensated for the willingness to do so on behalf of the carrier's best interest.

Lifestyle trucker?
This is one of the big disconnects.

Having one or a hundred trucks, trailers and Drivers in place and ready to roll is a strong selling point any way you look at it. Whether I'm the only truck in town chasing the only load in town or it's my company bidding a big contract, my availability has real value. My company gets a lot of business on that basis and it's not all cheap freight.

Unfortunately, the rates are based on the truck and trailer being there and the fact that I'm not being paid. Not for waiting, not for fueling, not for fixing, not for cleaning, not for . . you name it. My time is exempted from the equation but it's not because my employers are all rotten SOB's. It is because Federal law allows it, so long as I'm being paid minimum wage (at least) for all the hours I report to be working. Unless and until that law is changed, what carrier is going to step up and say "it really isn't fair and we should be paying these guys"?

The exception is the State of Washington and that's why I'm so thrilled to see that lawsuit. Washington State requires ALL employers to pay time and a half after forty, with most salaried employees excepted. If it is successful, I expect to see a big push to get the State to go after all the other carriers as opposed to the State sitting back and waiting for more Drivers to sue.

You can bet that every carrier based out of or with a significant amount of business in, out or within Washington State are taking a real serious look at this.

They all gonna bail? I don't think so. They're going to stay and pay. Then comes Oregon and then comes Idaho . . and, ultimately, the Feds . . YAAAAHOOOOOOOO!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

GMAN dont take this too personally because I dont for one minute think you alone created the current OTR environment but you do seem to want to defend it. That being said, the main reason for turnover in the industry is because people wont do it for what companies are willing to pay. OTR is a hard job, some would say it plain sucks. Its real simple, if the job paid enough people would do it, but apparently it doesnt. For the right amount of money people would be willing to put up with the BS that goes with the job. Either decrease the amount of BS and abuse of the driver's time or increase the money. Real simple. You say that drivers expect too much and companies dont screen well enough. I say bull! People aren't stupid. When the job is worth it to them they'll do it. I've been at my current job almost two years and I'm still 13th out of 14. No one quits. Why? Because they make damn good money that's why! Our top driver makes 90k a year, gets 4 weeks vacation, and goes home every day. Thats the main reason for turnover, too much BS and not enough money. Fix one or the other and turnover goes down! :wink:
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCavi
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LeBron James
All time spent on the job should be compensated. All time working past the 8th/40th hour should be overtime. Anything else is uncivilized...
Werd.
DDCavi

So why is it weird to get paid for working? and paid more for excessive hours ?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I've been at my current job almost two years and I'm still 13th out of 14. No one quits. Why? Because they make damn good money that's why! Our top driver makes 90k a year, gets 4 weeks vacation, and goes home every day. Thats the main reason for turnover, too much BS and not enough money. Fix one or the other and turnover goes down! :wink:
Exactly Snowman! Until either the bullshit goes away (never happen). Or the pay is brought to an acceptable level, the industry will continue in it's current job-hopping, drifter/hobo attracting march.

Regarding turnover. My company had 0%, again ZERO PERCENT turnover last year. Not one driver left.

It really is that plain and simple.

Wake up and smell the coffee GMAN. You can recover from myopia. :wink:

Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
GMAN dont take this too personally because I dont for one minute think you alone created the current OTR environment but you do seem to want to defend it. That being said, the main reason for turnover in the industry is because people wont do it for what companies are willing to pay. OTR is a hard job, some would say it plain sucks. Its real simple, if the job paid enough people would do it, but apparently it doesnt. For the right amount of money people would be willing to put up with the BS that goes with the job. Either decrease the amount of BS and abuse of the driver's time or increase the money. Real simple. You say that drivers expect too much and companies dont screen well enough. I say bull! People aren't stupid. When the job is worth it to them they'll do it. I've been at my current job almost two years and I'm still 13th out of 14. No one quits. Why? Because they make damn good money that's why! Our top driver makes 90k a year, gets 4 weeks vacation, and goes home every day. Thats the main reason for turnover, too much BS and not enough money. Fix one or the other and turnover goes down! :wink:

I am glad that you aren't blaming me for the current otr environment. :wink:

I agree that there are things which need to be changed. Money may attract people to a job, however they will not stay with any carrier if money is the only consideration.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I agree that there are things which need to be changed. Money may attract people to a job, however they will not stay with any carrier if money is the only consideration.
Well G, they aren't staying at any of the carriers right now. Money would be a great first step in the right direction.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Money may attract people to a job, however they will not stay with any carrier if money is the only consideration.
100% wrong about that GMAN. No need to muddy things up here G.

If the money is right, they will stay. Good money takes the sting out of all the crap that you have to deal with. The 'good money' concept works in many other industries. Why not trucking? I'm even going to answer that one..........

COOLIE CARRIERS

Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Lack of supervision is one of the perks of the job that is often lost because of the actions of the hobo/drifter types that are attracted to the trucking industry.

I wish you would leave me OUT of this discussion, Belpre!! I am NOT responsible for all the problems in this industry!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Lack of supervision is one of the perks of the job that is often lost because of the actions of the hobo/drifter types that are attracted to the trucking industry.

I wish you would leave me OUT of this discussion, Belpre!! I am NOT responsible for all the problems in this industry!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Hobo
I'll remember that from now on Golf. :lol: :wink:

Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCavi
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LeBron James
All time spent on the job should be compensated. All time working past the 8th/40th hour should be overtime. Anything else is uncivilized...
Werd.
DDCavi

So why is it weird to get paid for working? and paid more for excessive hours ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up, Evinrude!! :wink:

Not W-E-I-R-D............ WERD!

:lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.