Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Turn Over Rate

Is:

Example: If you hire 100 drivers in a year and in that 12 month period

have to replace 90 of them because they left

the Turn Over Rate is said to be "90%" .

I talked to a lady today who said besides people just dropping out
they loose many due to bad health

This bussiness seems to take people down fast from what I am seeing.

oh well
Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

You have to really work at getting and/or staying healthy as an OTR truck driver. Tight schedules, long days, long hours of just sitting, the limited amount of healthy foods offered in truck stops, not to mention just the beating you take bouncing around in a truck all day, every day, not getting enough quality rest all conspire against a person to bring down their health.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The last figures I saw stated that there was a 136% annual turnover rate in the trucking industry. That is high but less than 1/2 of the turnover rate of 300% in fast food. Some leave for legitimate reasons. However, many people aren't willing to do what it takes to be successful in this business. When things get difficult they want to cut and run rather than work things out with their company. It is still much too easy to leave one company and go to another one. Hopefully, this slow down in the economy will help to alleviate some of this transient behavior. There are those who come into this industry with false or unrealistic expectations. We all pay our dues.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I read a thing somewhere just the other day that with all the companies that have gone out of business now, the recruiters are no longer hiring "STEERING WHEEL HOLDERS". Now, there are enough drivers that they are able to hire "DRIVERS", and be a lot more choosey. Sounds like, if you have a job, best not go changing companies, and find yourself out of a job. Diabetes, and heart are the two biggest as far as maintaining a good record and still getting replaced. And, PILOT does not help you take care of that either.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I read a thing somewhere just the other day that with all the companies that have gone out of business now, the recruiters are no longer hiring "STEERING WHEEL HOLDERS". Now, there are enough drivers that they are able to hire "DRIVERS", and be a lot more choosey. Sounds like, if you have a job, best not go changing companies, and find yourself out of a job. Diabetes, and heart are the two biggest as far as maintaining a good record and still getting replaced. And, PILOT does not help you take care of that either.
True.

But...in a number of years, the major carriers will once again be hiring "steering wheel holders."

Never forget that everything is cyclical....
Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
We all pay our dues.
Yes, we all must pay our dues as you would in any line of work. But sitting around all day unpaid waiting for loads? I think not. A few hours maybe? A few days or more? Uh, huh. Let me ask you this: how many other people do you know who would show up all of Monday from 9 to 5 for absolutely zilch? I can't think of a one. I doubt you can either.

But the Great American Trucker, (aka Knight of the Open Road, Last American Cowboy, etc.) is expected to do just that. Not on my account I can assure you. There's a difference between paying your dues and playing the fool. And the ignorance of most drivers to that end is what really keeps these McMega haulers in business (while they roar with laughter behind your back).

If any of you wanna work for free as you pay your dues then that's your own business. I'm not out there to show my rooster cruiser off to the rest of the world. I'm out there for one reason and one reason only - and that's to make the best dollar possible. And I don't do that by working, waiting, driving for free.

The bottom line is that if I don't get paid then I don't do the job. It's just as simple as that. Nuff' said on that score...
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
We all pay our dues.
Yes, we all must pay our dues as you would in any line of work. But sitting around all day unpaid waiting for loads? I think not. A few hours maybe? A few days or more? Uh, huh. Let me ask you this: how many other people do you know who would show up all of Monday from 9 to 5 for absolutely zilch? I can't think of a one. I doubt you can either.

But the Great American Trucker, (aka Knight of the Open Road, Last American Cowboy, etc.) is expected to do just that. Not on my account I can assure you. There's a difference between paying your dues and playing the fool. And the ignorance of most drivers to that end is what really keeps these McMega haulers in business (while they roar with laughter behind your back).

If any of you wanna work for free as you pay your dues then that's your own business. I'm not out there to show my rooster cruiser off to the rest of the world. I'm out there for one reason and one reason only - and that's to make the best dollar possible. And I don't do that by working, waiting, driving for free.

The bottom line is that if I don't get paid then I don't do the job. It's just as simple as that. Nuff' said on that score...
Good point Mr. James...good point.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Board Regular

My thoughts....

The trucking industry as a whole needs a revamping.

Since trucking was deregulated back in the days, it has changed dramatically. Some for the good and some for the bad.

I am sure some of the senior drivers can understand and have their opinion.

My dad was a driver. My brother is an O/O. Dad had 30 years in, Bro has about 19.

The thought process of letting drivers sit around and not get paid for sitttin in a truck that a company provides is absolutely ridiculous. When I show up for work, I expect to get paid. If no work then send me home!!!!

Heres a few thoughts on revamping.

1) Drivers should get paid for all time while in a company vehicle. The exception to that is during the 10 hour break. There should be a mileage rate when driving and the wheels are rolling and there should be an hourly rate when the truck is sitting getting unloaded. Now the rate of pay should be different for the two. But money should be involved. Not this, I have been sitting around for 3 hours and now I can get paid.

2) The rules from the FMCSA need a major overhaul. Hours of duty is just ridiculous. 11 hours in a 14 hour period is just out of control.

3) Qualifications for a dispatcher should include driving experience.

I have more but thats its for now.

Lebron....good points!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:58 AM
Board Regular

i could never understand the term "steering wheel holder"
we all must have skills to drive these trucks. traffic, backing and just getting around in general without smashing into somebody.

what exactly defines a steering wheel holder?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
i could never understand the term "steering wheel holder"
we all must have skills to drive these trucks. traffic, backing and just getting around in general without smashing into somebody.

what exactly defines a steering wheel holder?
From Urbandictionary.com:steering wheel holder isn't defined yet.
Mine?
One who gives little or no thought to the job/career of a truckdriver, be it over the road or local. No perception of safety, leagality, personal pride or public perception.
How's that?? :?: