User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Chicken vs Egg Question Continues To Baffle

It's been awhile since I even came to the forum, but the driving desire continues to push me to want to leave my current 8-5 job and head off down the highway. Problem is, I do not have a CDL, I'm 51 years old, in great shape, (so I'm told by others who say I look like I'm in my mid-30's), love to drive, like to travel, enjoy driving at night, which I understand is alot better for the industry, and can only see one drawback to moving forward with the career change, that being the period of time between last current paycheck and first trucking one. Also the uncovered benefit coverage time.

So, that brings me to the Chicken vs Egg question. I am able to foot the paying of my own CDL training and that could be done for me at a pace that would greatly shorten the down time for both pay and benefits, however, I do not want to go to training and find out that no one will hire me as I didn't go to their training school or to their "buddy-company's" training school. Should I just go ahead and go into company sponsored training or proceed to get my own CDL training, in Ohio if that makes any difference, and then seek a company to drive for?

Which is the best and what are the pro's and con's of doing it either way, from the drivers who have been there before me. BUT, I REALLY DO WANT TO GET MY OWN TRUCK AND DRIVE......
Old 06-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Option 1: Figure out 5 companies that you would want to work for upon completion of CDL school and ask what their hiring requirements are for school. Also while you are on the phone with them ask about other hiring requirements and make sure you won't get turned down by something else.

Option 2: Find a school or course that is PTDI certified. If you graduate with a grade of 90% or better you would have to work at finding a company that would not hire based on the school you went to. The only exception to this I can think of is Millis Transfer who require a student attend their driving school.

Option 3: Take a 160 hour CDL course. Probably 85%-90%+ of the companies that hire student drivers will either require this type of course of will otherwise accept it.