User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

same here. i always go to the terminal even though it's a craphole. i hate having to pay for parking and also hate feeling unsafe in places where security is present but does nothing.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9
Hmmm, three weeks ago I sat for a day and a half, down in Ontario,CA idling the whole time while waiting for service on my APU. Didn't have a single problem, even with the local police driving around.
they were most likely more concerned with the recreational reptiles, junk salesmen, and potential thieves waiting for somebody to prey on. one of my fellow swifties got stabbed in a botched mugging attempt at the t/a east. this happened back in early march, i think. he beat the $&!+ out of one of the wanna-be thugs while the other ran away like a pansy. they never got his money.
Yeah, you're probably right, but I was on a side road next to our terminal. When they get full, we park on the 2 adjacent roads. I prefer to avoid those truckstops in Ontario. :shock:
Old 06-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
yeah I stay away from Ontario and just hit Fontana when I was with Swift. There are a few truckstops nearby and it's within walking distance.
Which one would you be referring too? the one across the street from schneider?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Rookie

For the most part I haven't found this summer to be worse than others, especially in Southern California. Still certainly an issue though.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:14 AM
Board Regular

yeah, three sisters just east of the pumpkin patch. That puts it 2 blocks from Swift's glorious hovel in Fontana.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Board Regular

Ronin wrote:
yeah I stay away from Ontario and just hit Fontana when I was with Swift. There are a few truckstops nearby and it's within walking distance.

I wouldn't want to be walking out there in Fontana.
MartenDrvrCA --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which one would you be referring too? the one across the street from schneider?

MartenDrvr,
Your talking about the truck stop to the west of Schnieder right? It's pretty nice there, small though. Maybe 10-15 spots in the back lot?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yeah, three sisters just east of the pumpkin patch. That puts it 2 blocks from Swift's glorious hovel in Fontana.
:lol: :lol:

the bottom line for me is that i feel safe there. don't have the feeling that i need to look over my shoulders as i'm exiting my truck, walking across the yard to get myself a wonderful shower in their FABULOUS showering facilities. plus i have my dirt jumping bmx on the back of the tractor. the last thing i'd want to notice is that my bike is gone. i'd be pissed. swift no longer has that dirt lot. swift didn't want to renew the lease on that dirt ground and rumor has it the truck stop owner at the corner of schneider's street and valley bought the land.

jsut for any swift drivers who'll read this, don't park on schneider's street. you'll be waking up to a mighty fine parking ticket on your windshield or driver side door. one of my friends is a local gaycab driver for the pumpkin and has warned me of this. fortunately i always park on the terminal's premises. i get to see some real geniuses park on that street, and park facing the wrong direction on banana. they'll be facing south in the northbound side, or vice versa, and then whine about being ticketed.

even i shake my head in disbelief of some of my fellow drivers. i sometimes cannot believe they drive for the same company as i do. ops:
Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Board Regular

I was there for the big "OMFG we got freight out our eyeballs coming out of Fontana!" fiasco at the end of October last year. It was so bad they had driver's deadheading from the east coast. They even tried to pre-plan an O/O to Fontana from St Louis, to which the O/O said F$%# you in the qualcomm.

Anyways, after sitting in PHX for 2.5 days waiting for an empty after deadheading from Flagstaff for repairs. I deadheaded to Fontana and found the mother of all clusterF#$%s. There were Swift trucks lined out on valley, cherry, banana, almond, and even a few on San Bernardino. I was there for another 2 days fighting to get out. No layover pay for any of it. This was during my first week with Swift too, so maybe now you understand why I'm not a big fan of this company.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I was there for the big "OMFG we got freight out our eyeballs coming out of Fontana!" fiasco at the end of October last year. It was so bad they had driver's deadheading from the east coast. They even tried to pre-plan an O/O to Fontana from St Louis, to which the O/O said F$%# you in the qualcomm.

Anyways, after sitting in PHX for 2.5 days waiting for an empty after deadheading from Flagstaff for repairs. I deadheaded to Fontana and found the mother of all clusterF#$%s. There were Swift trucks lined out on valley, cherry, banana, almond, and even a few on San Bernardino. I was there for another 2 days fighting to get out. No layover pay for any of it. This was during my first week with Swift too, so maybe now you understand why I'm not a big fan of this company.
i can understand that. i was there for that whole fiasco. it was a gigantic clusterfuck for sure. that's when i began doing favors for a certain evening/overnight planner/dispatcher in fontana. since then, i no longer sit within fontana's jurisdiction for any longer than 10hrs. usually i get a call from him asking if i have time to run. i'll ask to see the pre-plan so i know what i'll possibly be getting myself into, and if i can do it legally, i'll go for it. the same occurs with me whenever i'm within lathrop's jurisdiction as well. i get backed with runs that send me 1500+ miles.

yeah, i broke the cardinal rule about not doing favors. i had to in order for myself to get the hell outta there whenever i'm within their range. i cannot stand the fontana area at all. lathrop is tolerable since i went to high school in turlock and have some friends who have stayed within the modesto and turlock areas.