User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Mileage pay doesn't cause speeding but it does encourage it.

Like when you bring a straight pulloff load to a warehouse that should take 1/2 hour max to unload but you sit there for 2+ hours. Why is that? It's because the guys inside all on the clock and have no incentive to get you in-and-out. If they paid those guys by the load, you'd be outta there lickety split.

Now, I have seen a few hourly local guys speeding through slow-go zones. Maybe they're behind the 8-ball on a tight delivery cut-off? Maybe they wanna get home to momma? Maybe they're just a-holes?

But more often than not, the ones barrelling through construction sites at mach 10 are sleeper trucks.

You figure a driver at a low-ball carrier like Werner or England is gonna be making .30 cpm or less. So he's gotta bang-out over 3,000 miles just to gross $1,000 for the week. Then you've got your chicken-haulers doing multi-stop reefer work and the JIT parts-haulers for the auto companies. Those are the ones hammered down all the time speeding, boxing, tailgating, weaving, etc.

So it isn't so much mileage pay, it's the mileage pay coupled with a low .cpm and just-in-time pickup and delivery schedules. Which ultimately is a reflection of our society: we as consumers want the latest stuff on the store shelves and we want it all at everyday rock-bottom prices. If not, we'll just shop elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

honestly, i am amazed that proffessional drivers speed.
tickets are expensive and could eventually cause you your license and your job.

i got one speeding ticket by accident because i didnt see the speed reduction on a downgrade. its going to cost 380 bucks!!!! plus points

i dont like running with some co-workers to pickups and deliveries because many of them want to drive 63-65 MPH in CALIFORNIA.

im a 58-59 guy all the time. i cant beleive it when trucks blow by my at 65+.

although, a couple of times now, ive seen those same trucks pulled over just 5-10 miles up the road :lol:

and as far as a construction zone goes, if you run over one of those guys while exceeding the speed limit. you will go to prison, i promise you that.

doesnt seem worth it to me :?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Oh.... and IF you ever see that #34/hr.... let me know! Even "I" might sell my OTR soul for a local dumptruck gig for that kind of money! At least.... for a while! :wink:

Its rock bolting, and drilling... hands on work. There is $20 per hour bonus for underground work for a total $54....beats the hell out of OTR...But I don't have the job yet....[/quote]

Well, $34 per hour is about what I make after 40 hours (usually around Thursday morning) but I’d move across country or planet for that $50 bucks per hour, how about an email link Evinrude, or is this one of those “you must be Canadian to apply” jobs? :roll:

Oh ya, I’m one of those guys in the construction zone, so everybody SLOW DOWN!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Board Icon

CFM said:

Quote:
Why is that? It's because the guys inside all on the clock and have no incentive to get you in-and-out. If they paid those guys by the load, you'd be outta there lickety split.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe you SAID that! So, which IS it??? Are the BETTER, and most EFFICIENT workers "on the clock" or by the load (mile) ?????

IF they paid all OTR truckers by the HOUR..... NOTHING would ever get anywhere "on time!" :lol:

But IF those "lackeys" on the docks WERE NOT paid by the hour, WE OTR drivers could move faster and make more money! :lol: :lol:

You have CLEARLY, and without provocation, defined EXACTLY what is wrong with our economy and our society!! It is the HOURLY worker! :lol:

If you're not part of the SOLUTION.... you're part of the PROBLEM! And we ALL know where YOU stand! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="RottsATruckin"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Oh.... and IF you ever see that #34/hr.... let me know! Even "I" might sell my OTR soul for a local dumptruck gig for that kind of money! At least.... for a while! :wink:

how about an email link Evinrude, or is this one of those “you must be Canadian to apply” jobs? :roll:

Sorry to say but your right I am Canadain....mining jobs pay well and there alwaly looking for workers, but experience and a course will help ya get in.
BTW saty away from coal mines.

http://www.edumine.com/welcome.asp
Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I can't believe you SAID that! So, which IS it??? Are the BETTER, and most EFFICIENT workers "on the clock" or by the load (mile) ?????

IF they paid all OTR truckers by the HOUR..... NOTHING would ever get anywhere "on time!" :lol:

But IF those "lackeys" on the docks WERE NOT paid by the hour, WE OTR drivers could move faster and make more money! :lol: :lol:

You have CLEARLY, and without provocation, defined EXACTLY what is wrong with our economy and our society!! It is the HOURLY worker! :lol:

If you're not part of the SOLUTION.... you're part of the PROBLEM! And we ALL know where YOU stand!
Employers would LOVE to pay everyone by the load, by the piece, by the burger, by the carwash, by the customer, etc. But most workers (besides truckdrivers) won't sit around for free waiting for customers, trucks, materials, breakdowns, slow periods, etc.

How many 9-5 workers do you know who would show up to work at 0900 and not punch-in until 1100? OTR truckers do it everyday.

Quote:
But IF those "lackeys" on the docks WERE NOT paid by the hour, WE OTR drivers could move faster and make more money!
No you wouldn't because everyone in the warehouse would quit and there'd be nobody to unload your truck.

The fairer way to reward/encourage performance is through production bonuses.