User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Your input is requested

Please let me explain a little about myself then allow me to ask a few questions. I am currently employed with a major RV company in Wakarusa Indiana, I have been with them for 17 years and I will 51 years of age in August. The division that I work makes motorhomes that range from 240 to 300k. We have had major changes at work and more are coming, I feel my job "even with 17 years" is not secure and times will only get tougher before they get any better. And since I believe that with the price of fuel being where it is now and no relief in the long term. I have decided to do something major now, instead of waiting for a pink slip.

First let me say that I'm very tired of factory work and as a skilled welder, I am tired of the burns, fumes, smoke and flash that goes with it. I'm not totally sure if I am making the right choice but I have decided to try my hand at trucking.

I will be taking the cdl course up here in South Bend at the CDL school on US23 which is only 9 miles from my house and I will be taking the weekend course. I have already been Pre-Hired with TMC and a few others. Meaning they have seen my app and are willing to hire me once I complete the course and I believe that I will do very well.

I have been married for 30 years and the wife is behind me, she likes the idea that she would be able to ride along once I am stable and have my own take home truck. I think it would be a great way for us to see a different part of the country and get paid to do it.

I am trying to look into the future and I want a job that will be there until I retire. I have talked to atleast 5 different recruiters and they all say the same thing. "There will always be a need for truckers no matter how bad the economy is.

So here are a few questions that I would like to ask all of you.

Do you believe the statement made by the recruiters?

I know that the first year or two money will be tight, But I want to make the most that I can in the first year.

TMC says that some of their drivers make 60k in the first year running flatbed. Do you believe that is true.

I realize that I will have to drive alot of hours and work my tail off but I am not looking for a easy job, I am looking to make money. I am willing to give up the home life that I have now to secure a job for the next 15 years.

I've been reading all the posts about schools and truck companys and I know that I must take all of it with a grain of salt. I am paying for the schooling up front so that's not a problem but what I really need is the input from those in the know.

Besides the schools what companies would you suggest that I look at? I have many other questions about the life of a trucker but I will ask those later.

I'm not looking for someone to badtalk any company just honest advice from all of you that might want to offer any help.

TIA
Jeff
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"There will always be a need for truckers no matter how bad the economy is.
Yes that is true. Is every truck driver's future secure if the economy tanks big time? Not by a long shot.

When the economy gets bad people buy less, less is made, less is shipped and fewer drivers/trucks are needed to ship it. When that happens one of two things start happening, if not both. Drivers miles get cut and they loose income and/or trucking companies stop replacing drivers who quit.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

As you read this I have been in the trucking industry 2 years and have a good record...

I am working on connecting with a company that will 'at least' provide me with 2000 miles a week consistently...that should say something about the reality of the trucking world.

Other than that it amounts to driving all over and not smashing into anything.

500 or 600 bucks (bring home) a week at best and you are officially a Trucker.

The only use for recruiters (no offense) is to get a call from them telling you they have accepted or rejected your application.

The thing with trucking is that if you are not a 'people person' then it works pretty good.

Its like a paycheck of its own not having to put up with workplace crap all day long.

Good Luck

PS:I have no family and no kids...so trucking works good on my end.
I could not do this having alot of mouths to feed or a massive mortgage.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

there's 2 sides to every coin. Myself I started pulling flats but it didn't work out cause a conflict with my trainer I later got back in the drivers seat pulling a van and believe that's the way to go. Pulling a flatbed you are not just lerning how to drive, trip plan ,time management ect but also load securement(sp) there is a lot to know! Flatbeds seem to feel financial slow downs more than reefer/van (my .02) I hated pulling reefer's but people will always need food so give them a look. $60,000 a yr is doable but unlikly in your first year, after that sure depending on who ya run for, how long you stay out and how hard you drive and thats assuming they have the loads for you!
BOL
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

PS: 60K legal ?

> extremely doubtful <

(if that even matters any more) :roll:
Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Jeff656, I wish you the best!

Just remember that driving a big rig ain't exactly like driving an RV! :lol:

Seriously, do you like to camp? Good, 'cuz you'll be "camping" in a box when you're not driving.

Be assured that you'll know in 3-6 months if you've made the right decision.

P.S. In today's economy, you might want to scale back the recruiter's $$/1st year. I'd say anywhere from $35-50K is more realistic. I'm sure some of the guys who drive for TMC will give a holler to your questions in no time at all.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

No overtime after 8 and/or 40 hours.
Piece-rate mileage pay means you only make money when the wheels are turning.
You won't be paid for all the miles you drive.
The company will get boatloads of free labor out of you.
Hometime is a roll of the dice.
Lots of sitting around unpaid waiting for loads, waiting to get loaded/unloaded, PM's, etc.
Weekends spent in the truckslop.
Poor health from sedentary lifestyle and bad diet.
One of the most dangerous occupations in the US.

Bad job, try to avoid it if at all possible.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Rookie

Wow! The Boo Birds are out on this one. Trucking is like the rest of life. Its what YOU make of it. Im 46 and was forced to make a career change. I drive for a mid size reefer company, but I haul as much dry as I do refrigerated. I just cant see you making 60k in year 1-3. 45 or 55 is do able though. I dont know why everyone is complaining about miles. I get all I want. But Im always on time and do my job professionaly. (see "Its what YOU make of it".) 3 weeks less than 2800 miles in 4 months.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosterling
I dont know why everyone is complaining about miles. I get all I want.

But Im always on time and do my job professionaly.

(see "Its what YOU make of it".) 3 weeks less than 2800 miles in 4 months.
PPPPFFFFFTTT!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!

And YOU call yourself a TRUCKER, Jimbolstering?????

Laugh, laugh, chorttle, chortlle!!
:moose:
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 AM

I was in restaurants for 20 years. Ive owned 2 , opened three others for other people and when i left i ran a multi million dollar a year restaurant and being great at my job i made great money. BUT i was tired of it and made the decision ( along with my wife ) to do something i have always wanted to do , so at 41 years old i did some research online picked a company that pays you back for school and quit my job and was off to the south for like 5 weeks. that was 8 months ago and let me tell you its been tough. Between learning to drive a semi, (which actually continues daily and i guess will never stop be cause its different on every road you drive on) truck problems , trying to get miles , learning and trying to drive legal and logging correctly and everything else there is , but as tough as its been it has gotten better milage at least pays the bills and keeps the wife happy and i absolutley love what im doing now. Ive seen parts of the US that i would have never seen if not for trucking. For the most part i have no boss , i love driving and so much more. yes it will be tough at first but as you learn to manage your driving time and log and the more you comfortable you feel in the truck it gets easier. ok sorry for rambling but i say go for it but as far as the expectations of what your gonna get out of it be realistic its not like hitting the powerball but the money is good. BJS driving 8 months.

PS if you do do it stay on this site it helps and the most important thing is this when you get out there your gonna hear alot of shit on the cb about newbies and the stupid shit they do or about how bad the company you work for is but if you need help at a stop or a truck stop the same guys talking on the cb slamming shit will help you just dont be afraid to ask. in my first couple of months i put my self in a couple of situations that i did not know how to get out of but i asked for help and its always there.